Do the British HATE Australians.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Oriental lily

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

I always thought there was playful rivalry between us and the 'mother' country.

However I have been reading British papers to hear the other side of how they are dealing with the tragic dj prank and nurse who is suspected of taking her own life and some of the comments are not just scathing of the dj's but of Australians as a whole.

Things like 'what to expect from a country with a convict past. And 'we did send all our rejects there so what do you expect'
Other things like Australians are all loud mouthed ignorant fools ect ect.

Now I am not impressed with this prank. The fall out is horrible but I am surprised with this hatred towards our country as a whole.

It's not like the uk have a brilliant media history themselves!

I always thought our rivalry went no further than the sporting arena. Which I find really sad. I have British relatives and have always thought our countries had a kinship. That we were very similar.

But their is a really bitter delight in the papers of attacking all Australians over this.

So for those currently living there or who have visited recently how do believe they perceive us?

#2 PatG

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Nope.

But they have media, just like we do.  And saying nothing doesn't make a good story.

#3 Feral Cancerian

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Of the few Brits I've known, there's definitely a bit of smugness and superiority there. Any Aussie who's a bit too exuberant or naively enthusiastic sends the noses into the air. I don't think the English can be characterised by the British tabloids though.
EFS

Edited by CancerianMoon, 11 December 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#4 PixieVee

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Having lived in Britain and visited many time I would say no, the very large majority or Brits don't hate Australians. In fact I found quite the opposite!

The media is a different beast altogether.

#5 FeralFerretOfDoom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

No. I'm married to an Englishman and have spent a lot of time there. If anything it has been a positive thing, they are hooked on our soaps and have this image of what life is like for us that comes straight out of "Home & Away" (I get extra cool points for growing up at Palm Beach, where H&A is filmed).

You get the jokes about being convicts, just like we joke about whingeing Poms. But it's all good natured.

Times like this just bring our the idiots, who will seize on anything to reinforce prejudice.

#6 Burro

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Did 'the British' say that or was it just a couple of people commenting on a website?

Years ago in the UK i read somewhere that australia was 'intellectually tranquil'.

Edited by Burro, 11 December 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#7 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

No more than Australians dislike the "whinging poms", "racist saffers" or the "stupid yanks" etc etc. In truth Australians don't have the best international reputation but I don't think one person's opinion defines how the greater majority of another country might feel.

Edited by ForsakenTruth, 11 December 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

They have the Daily Mail, The Sun and The Guardian and used to have the NOTW (amongst many others), oh and journalists...they have no right to comment!!! have they been living under a rock over there? over the past few years.

No matter what their papers/journalists/head honcho's do I would never rubbish their country!

#9 BadCat

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Ascribing particular, generaly negative, character traits to all the nationals  of any one country is racism.

Every country on Earth will have some racist twits amongst it's population.  They are loudest during any sh*tstorm involving anyone from another country wronging someone from their own.  Surely this isn't really a surprise to anyone?

Edited by BadCat, 11 December 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#10 Burro

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 11/12/2012, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They have the Daily Mail, The Sun and The Guardian and used to have the NOTW (amongst many others), oh and journalists...they have no right to comment!!! have they been living under a rock over there? over the past few years.

No matter what their papers/journalists/head honcho's do I would never rubbish their country!

Out of interest, why lump the Guardian in with the sun, mail and NOTW?

#11 Froger

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

They are looking for someone to blame. It is always easier to blame someone who is not so much like yourself - so I think there is a certain amount of painting Aussies as deviants to enable more finger pointing to occur.

That said though, I'm honestly very surprised by this whole thing. The public were saying the most dreadful racist things about Jacintha before her death, and I can't say I was surprised about that. But after her death this public outpouring of sympathy for her has truly caught me off guard. When I was last in England there wasn't much respect for nurses of Indian or Pakistani background, to put it mildly. Whereas "Aussies" were almost universally adored. Quite frankly I wouldn't have expected the British public to care so much about this nurse. I really think she copped it badly during the period between the call and her death, and perhaps there is some amount of guilty feeling now that is contributing to this outpouring of grief. It probably does help that she is a Christian though. I can't see this public grief happening over a Hindu or a Muslim nurse.

#12 sarkazm76

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

People online love using that "convicts" thing as well - how ludicrous.  Yes we're all corrupted and senseless because 300 years ago our ancestors stole a loaf of bread - pffft.  I usually just tell them they are jealous... cause I'd much rather have a convict past and live in tropical paradise then be stuck in cruddy old England.  biggrin.gif

But yeah - those comments are to be expected and ignored IMO

#13 Jane Jetson

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Meh, there's a bigoted cohort in pretty much every country. Even here we've had some interesting bigoted discussion about the hygiene habits of certain nations, particularly the UK.

If the idiotic prank call in question had been performed by an Indian or American or South African radio station I'm sure the comments would be similar, just about a different nationality.

#14 follies

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

When an English couple were trying to be rude to my partner by stating that all Australians must have criminal tendencies due to our convict past I reminded them that Australia is a very multicultural population and that only applied to the ones that are English.

#15 tres-chic

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

I lived in the UK for a decade and yes I came across a lot of anti-Australian feeling, usually in the form of a perceived superiority...'gee you sound almost educated!' That kind of stuff.

I also have wonderful English friends who have none of those attitudes.

Generalisations are odious but I'm not surprised at the comments the OP refers to and I have wondered if they would have been quite so vitriolic if journalists from another country had made that prank call.

#16 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

I was born in the UK and moved over to Australia when I was 10.  I have family in both countries.  The English don't hate Aussies by any stretch of the imagination, but I think many of them see Aussies as being rather uneducated.  This may have something to do with the Australian relaxed lifestyle, but I am not sure.  However I do know that a lot more focus is put into education in the UK than it is here.  When we moved here 20 years ago, I had to completely skip a grade as I was so far ahead than the other children my age, and I was still getting straight As in the next year level, and I am certainly no Einstein!  (I started high school when I was 11)

But it goes both ways.  Until I lost my accent, I was picked on by the other kids for being a Pom, and even Aussie adults used to say we were all whinging Poms etc etc

#17 Cath42

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

I don't think they hate us at all. They love our country, if the number of ex pats living here is anything to go by. I've never heard any of my English friends who live here say anything disparaging about Australians. All of them have said that they are relishing the chance to raise their kids in Australia.

I think the jokes about 'convicts' can be offset by the jokes about 'whinging poms'.

#18 Ice Queen

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

OP, I really would not base judgements upon anything coming from the media of the UK.  This is a country that his just had an inquiry into media behaviour and their most popular Sunday tabloid shutdown due to phonehacking dead peoples mobile phone messages.  I lived there for 5 years and their media left me open mouthed with shock on many occasions.

#19 emmafg

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

I echo others experience.  I lived in the UK for 7 years and experienced mild ribbing, more vigorous when sport was involved.

I think there is a perception we are less educated and "uncultured" but I think much of this is based on old world snobbery that only "European" culture is of any real value.   While I think some of their elite university institutions vastly outclass ours, in the general population I would say (in my dealings) that UK educational attainment is at, or below, the level of the Australian population.

Interestingly in the company I worked at I had good relationships across all "levels" while the English employees were very much a divided into their social class - which in a corporate environment in a "progressive" company really surprised me.

#20 Silver Girl

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Burro @ 11/12/2012, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Years ago in the UK i read somewhere that australia was 'intellectually tranquil'.

What a delightfully worded insult!

#21 Guest_- Poppy -_*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Nah, I dont think so.

As in every country there are racisists but ive never really heard that much bad stuff said about aussies from Brits more the other way around. Ive heard people talk about "whinging poms" more than I have heard brits call aussies ex convicts or whatever.

Being called an ex convict just doesnt offend me in the slightest, I know its meant to be disrespectfull and a dig but it just doesnt worry me! I cant help what my ancestors did!
I probably done the same thing in their situation, if it was let my child die of hunger or steal some food I would of stolen food.

#22 amabanana

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

I hope not.  DH's family are English. Although, come to think of it, MIL was whispering in the kitchen while she was drinking sherry and reading The Times and I thought I heard her say my name and something about cretins.....  laughing2.gif

You could hardly say the Herald Sun (especially the comments!) and That's Life magazine are indicative of the view of all Australians. (I certainly hope not at least  unsure.gif )

#23 seayork2002

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Although I am sick to the back teeth of the whinging pom thing (even though I am not British) I do not actually get the convict ‘thing’ as the convicts (mostly) came from the UK so there would be decedents over there and as a lot of Australian have more than one race in their family how the heck did we come from convicts, then there are the officers/free settlers. So surely there are British people who ‘came from convicts too, and then I hear how higher educated the British are over the Australian but by calling us ‘convict relaters’ (my word and I don’t pretend to be educated original.gif) are they nor insulting themselves to? And as every time I turn around in Australia there is British accent surely if convicts were not bad there would not be so many of them over here, am I over thinking again (sorry did I say that aloud?) original.gif

#24 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

As someone on Twitter said, the British media is just happy that for once someone else is to blame!

(Although given some of the reporting of the call prior to the nurse's death, I do think that's arguable)

#25 FluffyOscar

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

TBH, I think that discussing the idea that Britons (as a group) "hate" Australians (as a group) is pretty juvenile.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.