I can't find the thread about back yard nudity.
Article might interest OPer

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 babatjie

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

I was reading a light hearted thread about a poster who had problems with neighbours watching them through their window. Her husband strolled around in the nude. Some posters said he shouldn't as a warning. Just thought the link below might be of interest to the OP but I can't find the thread. Thanks original.gif

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2012/1...mp;mchpost=pos3

Edited by babatjie, 11 December 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#2 qak

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Wow - the guy was nude inside his house and got in trouble!

#3 BetteBoop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (qak @ 11/12/2012, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow - the guy was nude inside his house and got in trouble!

Yes, geography is not the issue. If you can be observed by your neighbours, then you're in a public place and public indecency laws apply.

The OPs husband in that thread could be prosecuted if the neighbours complained. Which is what I'd be doing if mine was the child he was flashing.

#4 babatjie

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Has anybody had luck finding the thread. I can never get the search function to work.

#5 MGB

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (babatjie @ 11/12/2012, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anybody had luck finding the thread. I can never get the search function to work.

I think it was deleted.

#6 Cacti

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I thought of that thread when I read the article too!

#7 fionah

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Yep. It was deleted. Troll.

Fi

#8 Grobanite

The judge saw common sense and let the poor guy off. The women in the news article is such a prude. I can't believe she got the police involved.
I would be telling my kids not to look and If I was offended I wouldn't look either.
Seriously what has the world come too?

ETA this happened in Cairns and let me tell you it gets really hot and sticky up here and sometimes you want to go with out clothes.

Edited by Grobanite, 11 December 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#9 babatjie

QUOTE (Mrs Mel @ 11/12/2012, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it was deleted.

Oh well. Hopefully she sees this thread or the article.

#10 Tigerdog

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

It's one thing to be deliberately parading it in front of children but in the other thread the neighbours were deliberately looking out the window and perving (which then prompted the OP's husband to consider deliberate parading - good luck for the neighbours to prove it, especially when they were the ones choosing to look!).

Edited by Tigerdog, 11 December 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#11 4kidlets

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

It got deleted - mods said the OP was a troll.

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/forums/ind...owtopic=1035071

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thread link:
http://www.essentialkids.com.au/forums/ind...1035071&hl=

Confirmed as a troll by the mods.

Snap 4kidlets!

Edited by Paddlepop, 11 December 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#13 BetteBoop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Grobanite @ 11/12/2012, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The judge saw common sense and let the poor guy off. The women in the news article is such a prude. I can't believe she got the police involved.
I would be telling my kids not to look and If I was offended I wouldn't look either.
Seriously what has the world come too?

Err, no. He was convicted. He simply wasn't listed as a sex offender.

What the world is coming to is that you can't expect your neighbours with small children to not look outside their windows for fear of seeing you naked.

And I guess, given you're not a prude that if your kids saw a flasher on the street you would just tell them to look away and not call the police?

#14 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

So the other day when i did a nudie run to get my clothes, and forgot my bedroom curtains were open, and my across the road neighbours saw me, apart from being super embarrassing, was also illegal? Oops!

#15 babatjie

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thank you. Seems I didn't need to be concerned about it!

Also, I didn't mean to discuss a closed thread. Honest mistake. Mods close please if necessary.

Edited by babatjie, 11 December 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#16 Grobanite

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

No conviction was recorded.

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2012/12/1...local-news.html

And I guess, given you're not a prude that if your kids saw a flasher on the street you would just tell them to look away and not call the police?

If a person was running up the street naked my kids would probably laugh.

If a person deliberately came up to kids and flashed or was touching himself while looking at my kids yeah I would call the police.

I would definately not get the police involved of it was my next door neighbour unless he was doing some of the sexual things as stated above.

Edited by Grobanite, 11 December 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#17 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (4kidlets @ 11/12/2012, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It got deleted - mods said the OP was a troll.

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/forums/ind...owtopic=1035071

So much imagination going to waste. rolleyes.gif

#18 Bam1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 11/12/2012, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a huge difference between being nude in your own home and being a flasher on the street.

#19 BetteBoop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Grobanite @ 11/12/2012, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was still convicted, hence being sentenced to a good behaviour bond. The fact that no conviction was recorded was so he wouldn't be put on the sex offender registry as the children were very young.

He will still have a conviction on his criminal record.

#20 Cat People

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 11/12/2012, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is not the same thing.  A guy walking around his house naked is doing so expecting privacy.  A flasher is a getting off sexually or whatever; he wants to be seen.

I would have no problem my kids seeing a man naked in his own house going about his business.  I'd slap a pervert in the face if he flashed my kids.

From the article -

The glimpses the woman and her children had of the man between March and August, 2010, were "fleeting'' and of a non-sexual nature Judge Everson said.

#21 BetteBoop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 11/12/2012, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is not the same thing.  A guy walking around his house naked is doing so expecting privacy.  A flasher is a getting off sexually or whatever; he wants to be seen.

I would have no problem my kids seeing a man naked in his own house going about his business.  I'd slap a pervert in the face if he flashed my kids.

From the article -

He was not expecting privacy. He was persistently exposing himself to his neighbour and her young children.

The man pleaded guilty to doing an indecent act to offend others and exposing himself to children.
"You knew that your next-door neighbour did not like this, particularly as it seems she had young children," Judge Everson told the man in Cairns District Court.
"Your offending was in the nature of being a persistent nuisance."

It makes my skin crawl that mothers are lining up to trivialise this kind of behaviour. Generally speaking, people who deliberately expose themselves to kids are predators. But we're so worried about oppressing the rights of men that what we should tell our kids is to look away. Don't make a fuss. Be polite.

These are the precise opposite messages to what I will give my child.

#22 qak

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

But everyone should be able to walk around naked in their own home surely?  If the neighbour & the kids saw it they were looking into his windows ... although I suppose he could have closed the curtains?

ETA: and the neighbours could have closed their curtains???

Edited by qak, 11 December 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#23 Cat People

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 11/12/2012, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It makes my skin crawl that mothers are lining up to trivialise this kind of behaviour. Generally speaking, people who deliberately expose themselves to kids are predators. But we're so worried about oppressing the rights of men that what we should tell our kids is to look away. Don't make a fuss. Be polite.

That is simply not true.  Polite?  From me?  Come on.  I'd be the first to make a fuss if I saw a reason too.  I don't see this as a men vs women argument; I'd feel the same with either sex.  The guy was in his own home, the judge said it was non-sexual and the glimpses "fleeting".  Without knowing more details, I don't see a problem.

#24 joeyn

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Why didn't the mother speak to the man and ask for him to put curtains on his windows, or negotiate a screen on their mutual fence to screen his windows from their view?
Much better option than involving the police.

I am lucky to live out of sight of my neighbours, unless they have binoculars.. nudie run for undies here is usually out to the washline!

#25 jessie123

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 11/12/2012, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was not expecting privacy. He was persistently exposing himself to his neighbour and her young children.

These are the precise opposite messages to what I will give my child.

I said this in the first thread and will say it again.

Growing up we had a neighbour that exposed himself. We were on a slope and looked down into his backyard. If we wanted to play out the back there was no much we could do to escape him. He would come outside when we were there.

Of course he didn't just start off doing this it was a gradual approach. Overtime he would masturbate and yes we went to the police and they paid him a visit.

I would question why anyone wants to continue to expose themselves to a child knowingly.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.