4yo struggles to determine gender.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fionah

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Cam turned 4 in August. It was noted at an OT/speech therapy assessment earlier in the year that he has difficulty recognising the gender of characters and people. Ray (7yo with ASD and ADD characteristics) is getting very frustrated with Cam calling things by the incorrect gender.
Are there any other kids like that? Does anyone have experience of their child growing out of this? The therapists weren't concerned about it, but I can't remember what they said I should expect.

Thanks for your replies,

Fi  cool.gif

#2 WithSprinkles

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Does he have difficulty recognising the gender or is it that he has difficulty using the correct pronoun (e.g. he/she)?

At that age it can be common to mix up pronouns, and if it is a problem of just using the correct pronouns perhaps you could work on it with him (e.g. directly telling him - we use the word "she" for girls and "he" for boys, and then practice using the words "he" and "she", e.g. Is this picture of a boy or a girl? What word do we use for a girl? he or she? etc).

#3 fionah

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Vanillaicecream.

Now I have thought more about it after my OP and I thought he was just getting the pronouns mixed up, but when looking at a character, he has trouble recognising the gender.
He has trouble identifying features of Stereotypical western gender (eg. a lady wears a dress. A man has a moustache) and names as being boys or girls names. Tonights immediate example. Cameron's middle name is James. We have told Cam he is a boy, but he insists that James from Thomas the Tank is a girl. He often thinks people change their sexes and doesn't understand that I have been a girl all of my life. He often asks questions about when I was a little boy, and stubbornly insists I was once a little boy.

It's all a little bit confusing. I am sure my hubby would say I am worrying about nothing, but I would like to see how others have faired with the same issue.

Fi

#4 papilio

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

I remember thinking that I was going to be a man when I grew up - I'm not sure how old I was though!  I am most certainly a woman though!

Dexie has just turned 5 and he's pretty much got the gender thing down pat now.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

In terms of pronoun use my 5.5 yo still calls most people He.

Probably it has just been the pat year he got gender identification correct.

I remember DS1 at 4 yrs insisting that when his little brother grew up he would be a girl.  DS2(5.5yo) still occasionally asks where's DDs penis.

I will say though we are having to work on DS2s speech and language, but he is offically within normal limits in terms of assessments.

#6 B.feral3

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

My just turned 4 year old has no idea if he is a girl or a boy let alone anyone else!!

#7 mayahlb

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

My 4 year old doesn't really distinguish between girls and boys. He does have a speech delay though and we are just introducing these concepts into his speech, mainly for vocab and gammer building. His understanding is normal for his age though and he still doesn't really define boy or girl. It will come though, until then I'm liking it though as there are no gender stereotypes being pushed on him

#8 Fillyjonk

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

Owen turned four in November and is convinced that Percy from Thomas is a girl, or rather a "lady." He muddles up pronouns all the time. I think perhaps you wouldnt notice it so much,  OP, if it did not bother your other son?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.