Creepy bug eating a spider. What is it?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 pencil

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

There was a large bug, about 6cm long, in our yard that was carrying a spider (that was about 3 cms big) The bug had wings, a yellow/orange striped body and six legs. It's body was rounded and fuzzy looking. It was creepy!

Does anyone know what it could be?

#2 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Maybe a wasp or hornet?

#3 livvie7586

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

sounds like a wasp of some description

#4 SW-

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2012/11/17/spi...in-australia-2/

I love these wasps.....anything that eats huntsmans is my friend!

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

is it like this?

#6 pencil

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Actually, I think I got my measurements off. It was more like 10cms? About the size of a matchbox car, maybe a little bigger.

Big! For a bug. Icky.

Edited by pencil, 11 December 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#7 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Or like this (an assassin bug).

#8 pencil

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2012/11/17/spi...in-australia-2/

I love these wasps.....anything that eats huntsmans is my friend!
  Ew. Maybe, how big are they? I dont' like what they do to those spiders, that is simply horrifying! It seemed rounder and more brightly coloured though.

Spikey, neither of those.

I am hating this thread already!

#9 SW-

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Yes they are rounder.  They are fairly big, i have seen them dragging a huntsman before. They are also very vibrant orange and black.  The picture wasnt that good.  Google spider eating wasp in Australia. You will get better pics

#10 Frockme

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Spider wasp. They are nasty buggers. Be careful when they're about. We've found them quite aggressive and have been stung a few times, ouch!!
Give me a huntsman anyday!  wink.gif  I saw a wasp drag a huntsman across our living room. Was horrible.

#11 PigNewton

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

If I remember correctly, they're the ones that paralyse the spider then drag it back to their hole, inject eggs into it, then the poor spider gets eaten from the inside out sad.gif
I don't like huntsman spiders much, but I HATE most wasps and am actually a bit phobic about them. Mean buggers.

#12 Orangedrops

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Black and orange wasp carrying a huntsman? It's a Spider Wasp.

#13 oneboy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

We call them killer wasps LOL.  Am in inner-west of Sydney and every year from end of October to late March / April they're about.  Having said that, this year no sightings yet.  Maybe the weather???? I have an intense fear of them but at least you hear the incoming drone before you see them. I is coward, I is!!

#14 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Why did I open this?
*shudders*

#15 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

The spider wasp?

#16 BronR

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Yep spider wasp. I am also in inner west Sydney and killed one just on the weekend dragging a huntsman down the path in the yard. They are out and about.

Also witnessed a fight between large huntsman and wasp once in our (external) laundry. Not pretty and wasp won.

#17 noi'mnot

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Ew... I had no idea these critters existed... Do they come down to Melbourne?

#18 PigNewton

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Well, we see them here in Adelaide, so I wouldn't be surprised.

#19 pencil

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Dude, I am IN Melbourne!

Yes, spider wasp, never heard of it before. I do not like it. Thanks for the very large picture Spikey!

Bit scared of going outside now! (but shh, DH is more afraid than me!)

#20 FeralSingleMum

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (squeekums @ 11/12/2012, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why did I open this?
*shudders*

This thread is disgusting and should be deleted sad.gif wink.gif

#21 melaine

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (pencil @ 11/12/2012, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, I am IN Melbourne!

Yes, spider wasp, never heard of it before. I do not like it. Thanks for the very large picture Spikey!

Bit scared of going outside now! (but shh, DH is more afraid than me!)

Hehe- are you my neighbour?

DH and I were googling this exact scenario two hours ago after we saw a massive wasp thing carrying a huntsman in our neighbour's front yard. Weird!

DH thought it was cool, I thought it was horrible - and I'm scared of spiders!

#22 Excentrique Feral

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'm not going to sleep tonight.

#23 Luxe

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Nooo... I wanted to read this happened in Queensland or some northern place.. not where I live now. I thought I was blessed moving from Perth with giant huntsman to Melbourne where the biggest thing I've seen is half the size of a perth huntsman. Tell me your in the Dandenongs or something.

I've had a huntsman land on my head and flicked it off to land on my skirt. I've also had male red backs crawl on my back. Not a fan of big spiders or ugly bugs. nno2.gif

#24 Mummy Em

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

We get them in Perth too. The stings are painful but not dangerous, unless you are allergic.

#25 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

This bloody thread was a jinx.

Ive never, ever seen one of these things in SA. Ive lived all different suburbs of Adelaide also in the bush, hills and near the beach.

Today, I get up and hear buzzing in the kitchen. Think nothing of it as I keep door open for the dog at night and big blow flies get in.
DDs dad dropped in heard the buzzng and get all 'get me bug spray now'
I did and he then shows me what he killed.
A BLOODY SPIDER WASP!!!
Not cool at all. Ugly, creepy things *shudder*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.