Whats the worst gift you've ever gotten?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 I'm Batman

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Well, what is it?

For me, it was a bible for my wedding gift. I'm ungrateful enough to feel that it was just a bit of a poke in the eye. I did my time in a religious household growing up and ended up an atheist. I do use it sometimes to prop the babies mattress when she is refluxing. So it is useful.

Edited by Chelli, 11 December 2012 - 09:33 PM.
removed swearing from thread title

#2 Tooties

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

My mum was given a face washer by her mil years ago. It wasn't even a nice one, it was straight out of the bathroom and looked years old.

#3 remisch

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

A lint brush for Christmas from my mother.

#4 *LiMa*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Ummm, maybe my 26th birthday, when my then BF, now DH forgot.  

Or my 27th, which he also forgot

Or maybe it was the 28th.  Which he didn't forget, but took me to Maccas for dinner.

29th he actually remembered, AND bought a gift.  

30th was probably the kicker though, which he once again, forgot.  My Mum wrapped a gift that she had purchased and told him to give it to me once she found out he forgot.

#5 anikal

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

My DH was given a used coffee mug - with the ring stain still inside it - by his brother.

#6 Mung bean

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Probably not the sh*ttest but pretty crud.

Last year MIL gave us this horrible coloured wine bag holder. It had no function other than to be a decorative semi demented hand bag of sorts which was made to hold a bottle of wine. It wasn't a wine cooler either.

Considering DP and I are bellow the age of 60 we  thought it was a pretty funny gift.

ETA - we were ungrateful sods who gumtree it.

Edited by Mung bean, 11 December 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#7 morgansacre

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

My ex gave me a crappy plastic wall clock, I've seen nicer ones at the OP shop...I reckon it must of cost him a whole $5. I guess I must feel grateful he went without that extra glass of beer, couple of fags or a few tokes on his bong sad.gif

Lynn

#8 Mpjp is feral

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

Cockroach catcher carved from a coconut from my ex-mil. Because I am such a filthy pig who lived in a roach infested house!!!

#9 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (I'm Batman @ 11/12/2012, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, what is it?

For me, it was a bible for my wedding gift. I'm ungrateful enough to feel that it was just a bit of a poke in the eye. I did my time in a religious household growing up and ended up an atheist. I do use it sometimes to prop the babies mattress when she is refluxing. So it is useful.

That's hilarious! That would p1ss me off too though.....

I got bed socks from my MIL (pre marriage to DH) .....they were the fugliest things you have ever seen.....when I saw them I felt like saying "um....do you WANT grandchildren? Cause you're not going to get any if I wear these!"...

#10 HollyDocker

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

A pair of pantyhose complete with a fabric drawstring panty hose storage bag that was big enough to hold one pair of pantyhose. For my 30th birthday, from SIL.

#11 NK0709

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

home made undies from my grandmother.... am soooo glad she never attempted a bra lols

#12 PoshMosh

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hospital green nail polish as a work kris kringle gift. Truly horrid and showed a total lack of effort as the budget was $20.

#13 NK0709

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

eta - double post

Edited by NK0709, 11 December 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#14 SilverSky

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

I got a card saying a donation had been made on ny behalf, from a charity I never would considering giving to at all.

#15 Ninja Lemur

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Bright rainbow slippers.........a number of sizes too small.  As a child.

Figs in syrup, which I detested, every single year from my Grandmother.  I soon realised I should have been honest the first year.

#16 What'sNext??

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Hmm... Possibly the cd car charger my now DH gave me for our second Xmas together.  I didn't have a car. I did have a CD player though.

Or possibly the shirt MIL bought me to match hers.... Never did wear that one, but I did regift and it was well loved and still worn 7 years later by the recipient.  So I guess more useful than the cd car charger.

#17 Three Of Hearts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

The first Christmas I spent with DHs family after meeting him my now SIL and BIL got me a boob tube. Size XL. huh.gif

#18 EssentialBludger

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Two Christmases ago MIL gave me some tea towels and DP a doormat. No joke.

Hidden message anyone...?

#19 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

I'm sure I'm probably going to get called sacrilegious for this one, but...

Red wine, from people who know full well that neither of us drink wine at all and would much prefer spirits or cider, and we particularly do not drink anything when DP is pregnant / breastfeeding.

We've got red wine bottles in our pantry that we've toted from place to place for about 8 years and feel too guilty to regift or throw out.

ETA: And after reading the PP's story, I've just remembered that MIL bought us a doormat a few years ago which said "if a messy home is a happy home, then this one is ecstatic". Nothing like a hint there... That and we often get fridge magnets making fun of vegetarians, bonus points for the slightly racist ones, eg the one that says "Vegetarian: Indian word for lousy hunter".

Edited by Dabri, 11 December 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#20 bakesgirls

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

For Xmas one year, my grandmother-in-law gave me a towel that she bought from a garage sale. It's a hideous orange, yellow, and red splotchy design/colour, complete with tasslels around the edges. It's from the 70's and was clearly well loved by the previous owner.

#21 Busydays

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

This year my DH was away at a conference for my birthday. He had a brilliant idea to give me nothing on the day, and then send flowers the following day (more of a surprise apparently). Not such a good idea it turns out....
My grandfather once gave me a maths textbook and a paintbrush to share with my sister.

#22 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Mine isn't that sh*t in the grand scheme of things, but it annoys me.  Every year for the last few years,, MIL buys me a diary.  

But I ALWAYS already have one, as I need one for work well in advance of Christmas.  And the one she buys is always one that is more decorative than properly useful anyway (I am a total stationery snob).  I need to have hourly appt slots in my diary.

I think it annoys me because it is such a waste.  I can't keep it to use later, and I am not going to use multiple diaires.  So every year it sits in my drawer and then gets thrown out.

#23 YodaTheWrinkledOne

An already opened packet of supermarket-generic brand of ground coffee. And I don't drink coffee.

QUOTE (Dabri @ 11/12/2012, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've got red wine bottles in our pantry that we've toted from place to place for about 8 years and feel too guilty to regift or throw out.

Re-gift away!  Bottles of wine that you don't drink are fabulous for re-gifting, particularly when you need a gift at short notice.  I do that with bottle of liqueur.  Well, I used to, before I met DH and discovered he quite likes a few liqueurs occasionally.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 11 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#24 WYSIWYG

A $5 ikea frame for my 19th birthday, from my mother.
Or a porcelain elephant night light from Thingz from my parents for my 21st birthday.

Edited by RunawayPrincess, 11 December 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#25 Feral Cancerian

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

A makeup bag...trouble is I worked at a newsagent at the time and easily recognised it as a magazine stick-on a few months prior.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.