spelling level for year 2 child

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 my4beautifulboys

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

hi, Ds(7) has almost finished his term for year 2, he has learnt so much this year and his teacher has been great. Just tonight he was playing a game with his younger brothers, he was writing down sentences, some of the words he wrote wernt spelt correctly, but he had a good go. Like 'leg' was spelt leeg, 'scratch' was spelt skrach, 'broke' was spelt brok, 'your' was yor. The english language is very difficult for children to comprehend, and how some words do sound.
Is this level of spelling normal for year 2/3 children?  we are in w.a

#2 Lyn86

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I would think he should be able to spell leg and your. The others are slightly more difficult, but wouldn't be suprised if a year two could spell them.

#3 mibi

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

My DS is 7.5 and in his 2nd year of school (Year 1 in NSW) I would think he could spell "your" and "leg" correctly. Scratch would probably be  tricky for him - I don't think he'd get the  "t" and I think he'd get "broke" but his name is Jake, so the "oke" in broke is similar to "ake" in Jake - he usually gets those words right. Having a good go is probably just as important at getting the words right - at least he's trying, and he's getting the sounds pretty close - the English language is pretty tricky

#4 threetimesblessed

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

I have a 7 year old DS who is in year 1. He is able to spell those words.
At the end of year 2, I would be concerned with those spelling errors.

#5 my4beautifulboys

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Thanks, yes i wasnt sure but i would have thought he should know leg and your, he has been bringing home spelling books, where you look at the words, memorise them and write them down, he got 7 a week, such as spring, season, stick, round, rocks, (he just tonight spelt rock 'rook') he had no trouble with those words and by the end of the week could spell them well. I'm not sure why he's having trouble with simple words?

#6 José

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

I think he was really close with scratch and broke which are a bit tricky that I wouldn't worry about it. I might expect that he could do leg though. Perhaps you could ask him how he figured out he should spell leg that way and that might help to correct  the error. E.g. if he is saying the word as he writes it he may be mispronounced it ad he's writing it. Also if he can spell beg peg meg you could talk about leg being similar. Or if he can spell words like feed with the ee you could talk about th
The sound ee makes and can you hear that in leg? No so therefore ur spelling is incorrect what should it be?

#7 EsmeLennox

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

I would expect that by the end of year 2 a child would generally be able to spell leg, your and broke. Scratch I would expect perhaps 'scrach'.

It is possible that if he's doing this writing at home he's just very relaxed about it and 'going with the flow' so to speak and not really trying/thinking about it that much. I know when my boys are playing at home there can be more errors than otherwise. Also, did you ask him about the spelling? Is it a possibility that it was a deliberate part of the game?

#8 my4beautifulboys

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Thanks for youre suggestions, that sounds great. I will spend time with him and talk to him about the spelling of leg, and see how he thought it was leeg instead. I know when we spell words out loud sometime he doesnt have too much trouble there, and he takes his time to think about the spelling. Its sometimes when he goes to write it on paper, its like he's thinking ahead and perhaps not focusing on the word he' s on. He wrote a piece at school today, he gave it alot of thought and it was written well, he wrote thankyou, letting, driving, correctly, but then he spelt at the end of the paragraph, 'sleep' slepp, and 'your' yor.

The game they we're playing was just before bed, so it was abit of a rush, i didnt expect the spelling to be perfectly correct, as theyre pretty tired at that time.

Edited by my3beautifulboys, 11 December 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#9 ~shannon~

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 11/12/2012, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would expect that by the end of year 2 a child would generally be able to spell leg, your and broke. Scratch I would expect perhaps 'scrach'.

It is possible that if he's doing this writing at home he's just very relaxed about it and 'going with the flow' so to speak and not really trying/thinking about it that much. I know when my boys are playing at home there can be more errors than otherwise. Also, did you ask him about the spelling? Is it a possibility that it was a deliberate part of the game?

Agree. I was also going to suggest that he might have just been wanting to write faster. When my DD has a head full of ideas she wants to get it all down on paper really quickly and that's when mistakes pop in. When I tell her to slow down, she starts spelling words correctly again, and comprehension and grammar improve too.

#10 mum850

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Hi, my DD is in year 3. Sorry but I would be worried about my child's spelling if they were making those errors at end of grade two.
I am quite interested in spelling as many of my friends' kids get weekly spelling lists to learn. At our school, there is no spelling homework, but our school does really well in NAPLAN including in spelling. I would like to know about any evidence to see if routine traditional spelling homework improves outcomes in a general classroom. (As you would all know, the weekly spelling list times a few kids can be a difficult thing for parents and kids for various reasons)
Having said that, if I had a child who was having trouble with spelling,  I would want to look into helping them at home.

#11 my4beautifulboys

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hmm, ok, yes i would have thought he would have been able to spell those words, like your, rock, sleep, scratch is perhaps abit more difficult. He has had trouble with his writing skills, he hasnt found writing easy to do, from when he started kindy, we have been to see an Ot. So i was thinking perhaps he's putting alot of thought into his writing and forgetting his spelling.

#12 zande

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

At the end of year 2, I would be concerned with those spelling errors.

Yes so would I. My DD has just finished year 3 here in WA (well nearly LOL) and is a gun speller but as a class they were spelling more difficult words in year 2, and the teacher would have definitely had a word with me if she had been making the errors your DS is. With the new curriculum changes for year I would be surprised if a year 1 couldn't finish the year spelling those words correctly.

#13 Carmen02

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

i wouldn't be to worried especially at the end of the day during a game where he could of been rushing. my DS is 8 and about to finish grade 2 and wouldnt get scratch but he would get the other words.

#14 Kay1

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

My son is a great speller but he will also make those sorts of errors when he is rushing or writing for fun. I think its because he is a reluctant writer so he's often been told not to worry about the spelling and just write. If I notice mistakes I ask him to read that word, sounding it out and see if he picks up the error.

#15 my4beautifulboys

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thanks, Kay1 My Ds sounds similar to youre's Ds in also a reluctant writer, his neatness of writing has improved alot this year, and he is finding it easier now. I think why he is reluctant is that he hasnt found it easy to do, so therefore he'll just write what he needs to and thats all. I did go through those words with him today and he had no trouble spelling them out loud back to me, so last night he was proably tired and rushing to get it done.

He did come home with a piece of work from school yesterday, and he spelt 'your', yor and 'sleep', slepp, which is a little concerning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.