Foul word in childrens books!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 3mummy3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

My dd aged 8 borrowed the Roald Dahl book revolting rhymes from the local library. My 13 yo ds was just flicking through and told me i shouldnt be letting dd read that because there was a foul word in it. It is in the cinderella story, the line is:
The prince cried, 'Who's this dirty s*ut?
Off with her nut! Off with her nut!'.

I know the whole story is a bit gross about chopping peoples heads off etc and it is supposed to be a bit of dark humour but i am seriously shocked that such a word is used in a childrens book. For those that dont know the book, it is a picture book with 'revoltingly funny' rhymes of popular childrens tales like snow white, goldilocks, jack and the beanstock etc.

So would you/have you let your kids read this or should i send it straight back to the library?

#2 WibbleWobble

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

I would let her read it and explain that the meaning for s*ut has changed over time and explain what it meant when the book was written.

#3 cinnabubble

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

The traditional meaning for s*ut is a slovenly woman. It wasn't sexual.

#4 FeralFerretOfDoom

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

What Wibble Wobble said.

To be honest I was expecting something much worse. I remember reading this book as a kid and being completely unfazed by the word.

#5 niggles

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

I would encourage her to read it and doscover the richness of the English language. A s*ut is just a word for a poor housekeeper. Would an 8 year old know any other meaning?

#6 bakesgirls

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest, for the reasons PPs have stated.

#7 RichardParker

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

I actually think Roald Dahl was a bit of a misogynist.  I loved his books as a kid but I find something creepy about them as an adult.  

The word 's*ut' wouldn't bother me in that context, once you explain what it meant to the author.  I remember getting a kick out of reading the rude words from the dictionary or the stuff about sex in the bible.  I turned out normal.  Sort of.

#8 Chelli

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

I know the word meant something different back then, but I would've been shocked to read it in a children's book.

#9 MrsNorris

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

We love revolting rhymes in our house!
It wouldn't worry me - I would just explain it in context, and explain that it is not a very polite word, and I would rather they didn't use it.

#10 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

It's Roald Dahl, it had a different meaning and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

#11 Madnesscraves

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

The more you kick up a fuss about it, the worse the word becomes.

I read so much of Ronald Dahl as a child was was completely unfazed by his writing.

Of course I just recently read James and the Giant Peach to my DD and I wasn't sure that opening to the story was appropriate for a child. How casually and graphically he describe's James' parents death. Sometimes I wonder if we've become a bit too analytical of how a story is written and just don't really 'enjoy' the story as a whole anymore. We seen ti need ti decipher it so far down to physiological meanings. I mean, I enjoyed Twilight for example, but I didn't need someone to write up a report on how a vampire is just another metaphor for ummmm 'imitate relations' (best thing I can think of without using banned words)

#12 cinnabubble

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

I think it's interesting that regardless of which meaning you attribute to the word, there is no male equivalent of s*ut.

#13 **Xena**

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 12/12/2012, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's interesting that regardless of which meaning you attribute to the word, there is no male equivalent of s*ut.

I have heard boys and girls being called s*uts. Though it does seem to be used in a more derogatory fashion for women, and more jokingly for men.

#14 76 others

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (*Greenbag* @ 12/12/2012, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually think Roald Dahl was a bit of a misogynist.  I loved his books as a kid but I find something creepy about them as an adult.  

The word 's*ut' wouldn't bother me in that context, once you explain what it meant to the author.  I remember getting a kick out of reading the rude words from the dictionary or the stuff about sex in the bible.  I turned out normal.  Sort of.

What makes you say he was a misogynist?

#15 livvie7586

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

we used to use 'man-whore' to describe a mate who would sleep with anything (using the current meaning of s*ut as the basis)

#16 3mummy3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

According to wikipedia:

Even earlier, Geoffrey Chaucer used the word s*uttish (c.1386) to describe a slovenly man; however, later uses appear almost exclusively associated with women.[5] 

Also on wikipedia:

The modern sense of "a sexually promiscuous woman" dates to at least 1450.[5]

The book was first published in 1984, by which time the modern meaning was well ingrained. So yeah i am still a bit shocked to see it used in a kids book.

Edited by 3mummy3, 12 December 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#17 michie0moo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Our teachers read those books to us when I would have been around 9 or 10 I think. Guess that wouldn't go down very well these days. We had "story time" with our teachers right through primary school, so I might have been as old as 12, but other kids in my class would have been 10 or 11 (small school and all composite classes).

#18 feralangel

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (Gloriosa @ 12/12/2012, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ironically, i get the impression that he didn't like children.  I know he's being satirical and all that, but there is a sadistic under current in many of these stories.

#19 3mummy3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (natangel @ 12/12/2012, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ironically, i get the impression that he didn't like children.  I know he's being satirical and all that, but there is a sadistic under current in many of these stories.

In the Jack and the beanstalk story he writes of jack being beaten by his mother with the handle of a vacuum cleaner for half an hour!

#20 MrsNorris

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

I get the impression that Roald Dahl has a lot of faith in the resilience of children, but not much faith in the goodness of adults.

#21 RichardParker

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Gloriosa @ 12/12/2012, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe misogyny is the wrong word.  There's just a lot of anger there - a glee in describing horrible people, horrible little girls and boys and horrible adults.  That's part of what makes the books so enjoyable, probably.  I don't know.  I just reckon he had issues.

#22 76 others

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Oh definitely dark against children and stories of adults who love to be abusive to children.

#23 BetteBoop

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

He saw kids suffer and die throughout his life, including his own kids. It might have twisted his outlook a little.

But as greenbag said, it's the reason his books are popular. Clearly he's not alone in enjoying the more macabre aspects of humanity.

#24 PurplePaperFrog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

I disagree on the misogyny. Matilda was one of my favourite books growing up.

I think he just had a knack for writing things that would captivate young kids.

I loved the darkness of his stories.

ETA: Words in books don't bother me. Just explain its context.

Edited by PurplePaperFrog, 12 December 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#25 50ftqueenie

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (tess @ 12/12/2012, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get the impression that Roald Dahl has a lot of faith in the resilience of children, but not much faith in the goodness of adults.

I agree with this, but I'm yet to re-read his books as an adult. It will be interesting to see how I feel about them now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.