Dinner ideas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Feral_Bubble

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Ok, I am not a huge fan of cooking, am annoyingy picky with what i eat (stomach issues) and now my DD is getting really picky as well. So i need to fix this, before the poor thing eats like me... not a good thing!

Can i please have your tried and true failsafe kids dinner recipes, that get eaten, hopefully dont take too long, preferably can be frozen (if recipe says for bigger than 2).

that sounds pretty restrictive, but i am willing to try just about anything! (except stir fries, they make me gag!)

EFS

Edited by Kenzi_Bubble, 13 December 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#2 adl

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Cottage pie

Spag bol

peas and corn...mashed potato  carrot and beans...

pasta - every which way

risotto..

Anything with minced meat in it... my DS seems to find this easier to eat

I made a poached chicken salad with green beans and fetta - he loved it , he can pick bits up with his fingers..

he can be lazy with chewing and biting so perhaps why these dishes work better?

#3 Feral_Bubble

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Can i have the link for the poached chicken salad first? That sounds like dinner tonight! lol

#4 Funnington

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

If you have stomach issues, are acidic things the problem?  Or, are you just fussy with all types of food?

Maybe you could list your absolute dislikes and we could suggest dinner ideas around that?

My kids are pretty good.  I've never cooked separate meals but I have always cooked things that I know everyone will enjoy.

The two younger ones love one-pot meals (soups, casseroles, pasta etc.) whereas the older one hates food touching.  My oldest is the most fussiest but she'll still eat vegetables which is one less thing to worry about.  I agree with you on trying to set a good example, if a terrible food pattern has been set for some time, it's hard to back out of.  

Some of the meals I cook which the children enjoy (some are freezable) are:

- Beef stroganoff (two of mine love this, they will be eating it out of the pot!)
- Homemade pizza's (I make bases and all.  Add finely chopped vegetables, my son has no clue he's eaten mushrooms, capsicum, olives etc., he thinks it's just 'pizza'!)
- Lamb and sweet potato casserole
- Bolognaise Cannelloni
- Beef casserole with Parmesan dumplings
- Roasts - beef, lamb, pork
- Lamb cutlets, potato bake and garlic beans (they go crazy for this, we're having it tonight actually)
- Homemade crumbed chicken breasts with roast potatoes and carrot and steamed veg (I make a cheese based sauce)
- Soups (lamb shank and veg, corn & bacon chowder, minestrone, chicken and veg, pumpkin)

There are others.  I think you need to try and work on your own food issues first (I feel for you with stomach problems).

Good luck!

#5 lisacat

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Funnington @ 13/12/2012, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have stomach issues, are acidic things the problem?  Or, are you just fussy with all types of food?

Maybe you could list your absolute dislikes and we could suggest dinner ideas around that?

My kids are pretty good.  I've never cooked separate meals but I have always cooked things that I know everyone will enjoy.

The two younger ones love one-pot meals (soups, casseroles, pasta etc.) whereas the older one hates food touching.  My oldest is the most fussiest but she'll still eat vegetables which is one less thing to worry about.  I agree with you on trying to set a good example, if a terrible food pattern has been set for some time, it's hard to back out of.  

Some of the meals I cook which the children enjoy (some are freezable) are:

- Beef stroganoff (two of mine love this, they will be eating it out of the pot!)
- Homemade pizza's (I make bases and all.  Add finely chopped vegetables, my son has no clue he's eaten mushrooms, capsicum, olives etc., he thinks it's just 'pizza'!)
- Lamb and sweet potato casserole
- Bolognaise Cannelloni
- Beef casserole with Parmesan dumplings
- Roasts - beef, lamb, pork
- Lamb cutlets, potato bake and garlic beans (they go crazy for this, we're having it tonight actually)
- Homemade crumbed chicken breasts with roast potatoes and carrot and steamed veg (I make a cheese based sauce)
- Soups (lamb shank and veg, corn & bacon chowder, minestrone, chicken and veg, pumpkin)

There are others.  I think you need to try and work on your own food issues first (I feel for you with stomach problems).

Good luck!

Can I please get the recipe for the lamb and sweet potato casserole

#6 Funnington

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Can I please get the recipe for the lamb and sweet potato casserole

Sure.  (I make the recipe up as a I go along, so quantities won't be exact).

Feeds approximately four (two adults & two children)

- A big tray of lamb leg steaks or forequarter chops
- Shallot onions (about two or three
- A couple of medium sized sweet potatoes, chopped into 2 cm chunks
- 400 gram tinned tomatoes
- Beef Stock
- 2 or 3 cloves of fresh garlic crushed
- 1 - 2 teaspoons of paprika
- Salt and pepper and Gravox to thicken (only if you think you need to)

Cut the lamb into bite sized pieces.  Chop onions and crush garlic.  Add a good swig of olive oil.  Brown the meat and onions.  Add the sweet potato and keep stirring for a few minutes (until it becomes a bit caramlised, don't stress if it doesn't).

Add the paprika, tinned tomatoes and a cup or two of beef stock.  < This is where my recipe will fall over, I just know how much stock too add - not too much but I guess enough to cover.  

Simmer (and stir every now and again) until the lamb is super tender.  The sweet potato will probably become so soft you don't even know it's in there, but that's okay.  

If you feel the casserole is too runny, add a couple of heaped tablespoons of Gravox to thicken.  

You could add any fresh or dried herbs you like.  I often add finely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary - just depends on what's in the fridge.

Serve with mashed potato and steamed beans.  I've often thought about serving with polenta, but haven't got around to it.  

It's not an exact recipe, I'm a true freestyler when it comes to food.

#7 sunflowers81

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

My 4 year old is SUPER fussy and I make him eggs a couple of nights a week... either french toast or scrambled - it may be plain and simple but it's wonderfully nutritious and I know he'll eat it.

I've even made him "burger french toast" by hiding meat in the french toast batter (he is incredibly fussy when it comes to meat in particular. Here's the recipe if you're interested.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.