What to buy for someone in a nursing home?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 qak

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

She is diabetic & has some skin issues, so chocolates and hand cream are out.What to buy for  xmas????

#2 casime

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Magazine subscription.

#3 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Magazine subscription
padded clothes hangers
scented drawer liners
voucher for coffees/morning tea at her local coffee shop

#4 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

My Grandma loved receiving a Christmas flowers, delivered by the florist.

It gave her something to look at and admire, some reminiscences about her beautiful and much loved garden, and it also gave the entire ward something to gossip about for days - possibly weeks. They were a smash hit.

#5 Suz01

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Mobile hairdresser voucher/appointment so they can get a cut and set.

#6 71Cath

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

My nana used to love talking books (on cd)

#7 4kidlets

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Digital photo frames are a good idea - take up little space but allow person to see many varied photos.

Of course you would probably need to load photos in before giving it to a nursing home resident.

#8 andyk

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

New comfortable cotton nighties for summer.
Knitting or crochet wool and needles, if she knits or crotchets.

#9 opethmum

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

A fruit basket and a nice bunch of flowers or a tiny pot plant.

#10 SMforshort

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

A necklace.  A nice bright one that is long so opening a clasp isn't necessary, it just slips over the head.

#11 qak

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

Great ideas, thank you!
Guess it will be back to the shops for me tonight to buy that elusive last present! (Woo hoo!)

#12 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

When my great aunt was living in a nursing home we gave her a pot plant kit to grow some lavender. The kits were on sale at most larger nurseries or Bunnings type stores last year.

#13 Anyway...

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Nighties are a great idea. As a pca can I please beg you if you do get nighties make sure they are stretchy!! Nothing worse than trying to get a nightie on the residents and you have to bend their arm awkwardly to get it on.

Most of them just like being thought of, the digital frame is a good idea most resi's have heaps of photos. A nice blanket is always a hit too.

#14 CountryFeral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

Well I've got Dad the 22 DVD James Bond collection!

It mightn't be up your female friend's alley though!

#15 Rainbow Brite

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

My Grandmother loved her Atlas (just a standard school atlas)
Gardening magazines
Weekly magazines
Pretty magnets for her fridge
Large font books
Photo frames
Grocery service/mobile hairdresser
Nighties
Padded coat hangers
Photo books on cats/dogs

#16 Wineandchocolate

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

A hamper of savoury gourmet treats?  Things like pate, crackers, olives, etc.?

#17 123tree

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

My Aunt loves to get alcohol for Christmas.  She doesn't have much storage room and she doesn't have to store it.  Just just gives it to the kitchen staff and they give her one drink every night until it has run out.  

This year I have bought her a special mug so she doesn't have to use one of the ordinary ones in the afternoon room.  Don't know if she will use it though.

Also she looks out onto a communal court yard and everyone can put pot plants in front of their own window.  So pot plants have been good in other years.

#18 Therese

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

A digital photo frame is a great idea original.gif It doesn't take up any space which is a big deal in a nursing home where space is limited. But it's also personal and I am sure she would love it.

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

The PP comment about large font books just made me remember that we regularly get DH's Gran (90yo) large print Mills&Boons books.  She loves them!

#20 mindy05

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

My GM was in a nursing home and only allowed out accompanied by a family member. She didn't need anything. So, one year on her birthday, I picked her up and took her to the zoo with my DS. We had a wonderful time and it was probably the last time I saw her outside of the home before she died. I would definitely recommend an experience like this rather than a gift which she probably doesn't have room for.

#21 mummytotwo

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Kindle! They can grab latest release books and read them in large print. Also easier than heavy/bulky books if arthritis is an issue

#22 fooiesmum

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

A beautiful gown like this - http://www.annieandisabel.com/

She might not need it today - but to know that when she really needs it she will still feel be able to feel beautiful and the gowns are wonderful and practical.

#23 naturalgoodness

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Initially my grandma was allowed to drink a nip of sherry or port every night, so we would buy her a bottle at Xmas along with approved sweets/chocolates. When alcohol was no longer allowed we would take a bottle of non alcoholic sparkling wine for her to have with Xmas lunch instead and she loved it!

#24 ubermum

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

What gets supplied for her?

The residents that I cared for always needed day to day items. Nice shampoo/ conditioner, sorbolene, heel balm, sudocream, talc, body wash, anti-perspirant deoderant (spray). Go for additive free/ hypo- allergenic ones without perfumes. Our facility didn't provide many of these and it is up to the family to do so. People always run out.

The commercial laundry also wears  their clothes out and they all needed some new nighties / pjs, underwear, cardigans, t-shirts. Try to get things bigger than required that would be easy to get on and off. Things with big neck holes or that button up. The stretchier the better. Nice thick bedsocks with rubber bottoms (prevent slipping). I would avoid buying slippers for a diabetic resident unless you know what to look for. Foot care is super important for diabetics and they often wear special shoes/ slippers.

Other than that, a portable music player that plays cd's and the radio would be good and photos of the family, current and deceased, are always appreciated.

Mostly, what older people in care need the most of all is more visits from loved ones. People are always so busy and some people only get a couple of visitors a year. It's so sad.

#25 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (mindy05 @ 15/12/2012, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My GM was in a nursing home and only allowed out accompanied by a family member. She didn't need anything. So, one year on her birthday, I picked her up and took her to the zoo with my DS. We had a wonderful time and it was probably the last time I saw her outside of the home before she died. I would definitely recommend an experience like this rather than a gift which she probably doesn't have room for.

I was coming in to say something like this. It depends on what level of care she is at though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.