Have you worked as a mystery shopper?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ChunkyChook

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm thinking about applying to be a mystery shopper (it appears to be flexible to work around my other position) but I am a little unsure as there are ALWAYS positions in out area.

Is it crappy or is there just a huge demand for it?

#2 whipmix

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

I would love that job!

#3 StilettoMum

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

The pay for the time spent is not the best. There was a thread recently I posted in. If your doing it as a hobby and a bit of fun and understand the small amount of money that's fine.

#4 lafonda

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I got a job as a mystery shopper this week. First job I've accepted is at Jbhifi, In store for 10 mins, get paid $19

#5 Coffeegirl

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

We use a company called Shop Angels for our mystery shopping checks.

As a company we pay them between $45-60/visit, but i have no idea how much the actual shoppers get paid.   The shoppers they send into our stores have to be in there for a minimum of 15 minutes and have a 40 question questionaire that they fill out.  They are also asked for some personal comments on their experience.   Questions range from clean windows? through to whether they felt comfortable in the shop and what items they were encouraged to buy.

In return we receive  a 3-4 page report on each visit.  

I personally signed up to an agency years ago, but never got sent any assignments sad.gif. From memory they paid between $10-20/visit.

#6 MeHeNDa3

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

I did it for about 6 months and I hated it. If I had little faith in decent customer service before being a mystery shopper, I had even less afterwards.

That said, if you like getting out and don't mind little if any pay for your time, go for it original.gif

#7 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Possibly a silly question, but can you take your baby with you?

#8 Froger

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (SlinkyMalinki @ 13/12/2012, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This depends on the company. Some assignments, and some companys, specifically instruct you to shop alone.

#9 missjoads1234

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Ive done it. I went through a mob calle Hoed. It offered very little work. You usually cant take babies as they want to you be alone. The downfall i found was i was always having to fork over $$ upfront, which i didnt always have. Sure they'd reimburse me but i didnt always have funds up front.

#10 B.feral3

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I've been dong it for about 10 years.

I use to be signed up to every company under the sun. Now I only bother doing work for about 3. That is because the pay is fair compared to the job and survey length. Others, not so much.

The others still ring me to do jobs because I've never bothered to de-register. If they are offering double pay for an urgent job I'll do it, otherwise no.

There is so much work where I live I get called a few times a week sometimes. It's not a wage but I've got loads of free stuff.

Edited by Bek+3, 13 December 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#11 jemsoli

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

i do mystery shops through shop angels. depending on the shop it is usually $10-20 purchase reimbursement and sometimes a $5-10 payment. i have really not found it worth it for my time, especially since most of the time the items i buy cost more than the reimbursement. i find it better doing surveys for vouchers. have cashed in big time this year!

#12 AstralMoon

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Edited by AstralMoon, 04 January 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#13 lafonda

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

off topic but pp what sites do you use for surveys?

#14 B.feral3

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Edited by Bek+3, 13 December 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#15 FiveAus

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I did it for a while for GapBusters, there was plenty of work but I hated it. It's not just the length of time spent doing the job, it's getting there, finding a park, waiting if there's a queue, then filling out the enormous questionnaire afterwards. The pay per job wasn't enough to make it worthwhile, plus I hate shopping so I don't know what I was thinking when I signed up.

GapBusters used to do McDonalds, don't know if they still do but I doubt there's anyone around my area doing mystery shopping because our local Maccas is the filthiest one I've ever seen.

#16 jemsoli

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

for surveys i use your voice, valued opinions and pure profile.

#17 MuppetGirl

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (SlinkyMalinki @ 13/12/2012, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More often that not, yes. I took my babies/kids all the time. It was rare that it wasn't allowed.

I did it for about a year for 3 companies. The pay is extremely poor for time spent. $10 - $20 for driving there, doing the mystery shop, driving home and writing/sending off the report.

The only ones that were good were the ones where you got to purchase product and then you get reimbursed for the product and get to keep the item as well.

#18 B.feral3

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Gapbuster is the worst for pay. Don't waste your time because that is exactly what you'll be doing if you sign up with them!!

#19 Cat Burglar

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (missjoads1234 @ 13/12/2012, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive done it. I went through a mob calle Hoed. It offered very little work. You usually cant take babies as they want to you be alone. The downfall i found was i was always having to fork over $$ upfront, which i didnt always have. Sure they'd reimburse me but i didnt always have funds up front.

I assume you dont get to keep the stuff you buy? Otherwise that would be a sweet deal!

Incidently my friend manages a liquor store and she says mystery shoppers are REALLY obvious because they ask their questions in a very mechanical way

ETA: obviously from Mamma Mahamta's post sometimes you get to keep the stuff sometimes no.

Can I also ask, do you have to go to a particular store, like x store in y suburb, or can you ask for local work?

Edited by Soccer Mum, 13 December 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#20 B.feral3

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

You keep everything PP. I bought my Pandora and filled it for free mystery shopping.

To answer your other question, when you sign up you put the post codes of the areas you can do.

Other questions, I can take my kids to most but not all. I mystery shopped Sizzler 2 days ago and DS (4 years old) came with me!!

Edited by Bek+3, 13 December 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#21 ChunkyChook

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Ok so just to get this straight...... you get to buy stuff and get reimbursed for it but it has to be the product they say? Are they all 'buy' products or are some just going in and asking questions?

Also the ones with 40 questions, do you know the questions first (like the wondows, so you know to look) or do you just have to be super observant?

#22 B.feral3

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Some are product specific e.g chemist and buy XYZ because we want to know if staff are knowledgable with this particular product.

Others are go to a clothing shop and try something on. Make a purchase up to the value of $20 reimbursement. (Can spend more if you wish.)

Liquor store mystery shopps might want you to focus specifically on wine or beer but which wine or beer you buy is up to you.

Restaurant ones vary. Some you might have to e.g specially buy a Whopper Meal. The other day from Wendy's I had to specifically buy a small Banana Milkshake. I get reimbursed the cost oft he drink and another $15. Other food ones e.g Noodle Box are buy what you like to the value of XYZ and we will reimburse you the full amount but no further payment.

They're all different.

Also the ones with 40 questions, do you know the questions first (like the wondows, so you know to look) or do you just have to be super observant?

You read the survey before you go.

Edited by Bek+3, 13 December 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#23 ChunkyChook

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Please explain in 150-200 characters what you believe is involved in providing an exceptional customer experience

I am applying, does the above mean what a sales assistant should be like......friendly and helpful, excellent listening and communication skills????

Feels like I am applying to be the sales assistant!

#24 FiveAus

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Some of the ones I remember.....I had to buy fuel at a Coles Express, I was reimbursed $10 of that, plus paid about $12 for the job (which was to report on the cleanliness of the forecourt, the shop and the toilets and to check certain items were well stocked).
Another one was RACV home insurance, I had to ask specific questions about their contents policy. I had to record the time it took to be served and report on the manner, appearance and knowledge of the person serving me.

For the MacDonalds one, I had to buy a small junior burger meal, check the inside of the burger and make sure everything was there and evenly spread or placed. The quality of the fries, the amount of drink in the cup, the cleanliness of the restaurant and the loos and report anything that was missing....loo paper, soap etc. Also had to report if spills weren't cleaned up quickly and if staff said particle phrases. And had to report on the time it took to wait in line then get the food.
I was reimbursed for the meal.

#25 Froger

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Go to the Australian Mystery Shoppers Forum, introduce yourself nicely, and ask for help there.  wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.