In a situation of a parent assautling a teacher, what happens to the child?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lucky 2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Hi there, I can't give specific details except say that I'm thankfully not the teacher nor the parent involved!
I expect I will not get specific details from the school (as it doesn't directly concern me although I am uneasy), which I completely understand.
So I was wondering if any Vic teacher/parent could share what usually happens in these types of situations.
My main question is does the child usually continue on at that school?
Thanks in advance original.gif .

#2 lilwonder

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I am not in Victoria but at our school in instances where there has been severe verbal abuse/harassment (thankfully no physical violence to speak of!) our principal dealt with the legal department and the parent was given written confirmation that they were no longer allowed on school grounds for a certain period of time. They were only permitted to meet their child at the school gates or send someone else on their behalf

#3 liveworkplay

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

We had a parent verbally abuse students and a teacher and threaten violence. He had an AVO taken out against him and is not allowed within 200m of the school. His child still attends the school.

#4 threetimesblessed

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Usually the principal would enforce the Enclosed Lands Act and as a PP said, the parent or person involved is prohibited from entering the school grounds. Therefore, the child can continue to attend the school.

#5 JustBeige

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (lilwonder @ 13/12/2012, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not in Victoria but at our school in instances where there has been severe verbal abuse/harassment (thankfully no physical violence to speak of!) our principal dealt with the legal department and the parent was given written confirmation that they were no longer allowed on school grounds for a certain period of time. They were only permitted to meet their child at the school gates or send someone else on their behalf

this is what happened at our school too.  The school actually wanted to keep the children in so they could monitor the mothers behaviour and the childs emotional stability.

I think it depends on the 'level' of assault.   Pushing a teacher in anger when you have had a mindsnap is different to beating the crap out of them iykwim.

#6 CountryFeral

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Again not in Vic. but the outcome was that the parent was banned from being within x metres of the school grounds and there was an AVO taken out for the particular teacher.

Any breach or attempted breach and the police were called.

The student just continued on their way, any attempts by the student or other students to refer to the incident were immediately referred to the grade supervisor or the principal.

It didn't change the student's school life in any way.

#7 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Child cannot be penalised and will usually get collected outside the school gate. Same applies to feral bushpigs who hit other kids when they were finally sticking up for themselves after a year of abuse from bushpig's son.

#8 Dionysus

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

same as the other posters - kids can remain at school, but the abusive parent is not allowed on school grounds

#9 lucky 2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Mmm, thanks guys. Not he answer I was hoping for as it will be the harder path to travel for all concerned.
And because I/we (other parents) know about it (was witnessed) it could be awkward, ie I'm not looking forward to contact if it happens.
But it makes sense and is fair to all, especially the child.
In this instance there is more than one child and I have a feeling the parents may move on but it's good to know what might happen.
This is very helpful, thanks.

#10 jo-v

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

At my central London high school a friend's Dad punched a teacher and the children stayed at the school. From memory nothing happened to the parent, assume the teacher didn't press charges....

#11 Lyn29

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

We had one incident at our school where the child had to be moved to another grade as the teacher was worried they would be unable to treat the child without prejudice. And one child left because the parent chose that option, several others, as PPs said, stayed on with the offender unable to enter the school property.

#12 Chelli

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

In our school, it would mean that the parent would have a trespass order issued against them and they would not be permitted to enter the school grounds.

#13 NinjaMum

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

15 years ago, my Mum was phsyically assaulted in a classroom of FYOS kids by a non-custodial parent attempting to abduct their child toward the end of the school day at the end of a term.

Long story short, the child was able to continue at the school. The offending parent was not allowed on school grounds and charges were pressed against them. Unfortunately, my Mum did not return to work at that school either due to PTSD from the incident.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.