Incidences in real life that makes you think of EB?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 *LucyE*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I had a giggle to myself today while out and about. I saw a middle aged woman wearing a fashionable blouse with a scarf and 7/8 pants. She had some bling, and her hair was cut in a fashionable short style. She had some make up on and on paper was EB's idea of not frumpy.

Nearby, was a similar aged woman wearing a black t shirt, 3/4 pants and sandals. Nondescript houlder length hair held back by sunglasses and no make up or jewelry. On paper she is EB's mum-sy frump (she had her 2 daughters with her too).

Yet, it was the second woman who was eye catching and looked great. Her clothes while simple, fitted her. The first woman had the current fashionable clothes but didnt wear them with confidence (and her scarf was poorly tied).

It just made me giggle that here was my real life examples of an EB thread.

Yesterday, I saw a boy that I'm guessing would only have been 14yrs old. He was walking out of a medical centre with I assumed a brother or friend. Both lit ciggerettes as they walked out and dragged on them like they had been doing so for years. Not so unusual, until a man walks out behind them talking to them and it turns out he's the dad and he was lighting up too.

I got all Judgy McJudgy and thought of EB outrage. I tried to guess where it sat on the scale of bad parenting. Above sultanas and yoghurt but below coke in bottles?

Or the time a mother was given a ticket by police for leaving her kids in the car outside a deli while she grabbed a take away coffee?

What have you seen that made you think of EB public opinion?

Edited by *LucyE*, 13 December 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#2 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I saw a woman ( ok it was me) drinking at a school function last night  ph34r.gif ...she then had the temerity to whinge about her hangover on EB!

...in my defence though, there were no kiddies present....does that score lower on the EB outrage barometer ...?

#3 RobotFerretOfDoom

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Not what I've seen but what I've done.

I took my kids to a play centre today. DD is still toilet training so I put her in a pull-up in case of accidents.

A good time was had by all, and a few hours later we left. When I got home, I realised that DD had a bare bottom under her dress.

Which means that at some point while at the play centre, DD took her pull-up off and left it somewhere. No idea when or where. I'm hoping she took herself into the bathroom and did it there.

I logged onto EB this evening half expecting to find a vent about feral parents who dump nappies at play centres.

#4 Tonberry

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

but below come in bottles?

I would hope that this would be the ultimate sin Tounge1.gif

I often think of EB when I see things out and about... but then I can never remember them Tounge1.gif

eta: I just remembered myself today; Out shopping with DS and DD (who was asleep in the pram). We had picked up a pool noodle from Kmart as mum wanted a new one for when DS was over at her place for a swim, and DS was "carrying" it - which means he was swinging it around and getting in everyone's way and not paying attention. I hate when other people's kids do that, so I always try to keep mine watching out for other people, but today as I told him for the fifth time to watch where he was walking and move out the way for that lady, I remembered the thread from last? week about parents getting grumpy with their kids and yelling at them while out Christmas shopping.

Can't win - either I'm the mum grumping at her DS or I'm the mum who can't control her DS Tounge1.gif

Edited by Tonberry, 13 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#5 Jillian_10

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Most crystal clear one - I was in Emergency at a large Melbourne hospital with my partner and our 7 month old son. The only baby change table facility was in the disabled toilets. I had fed my son potatoes in the morning and found that they do NOT agree with him. Every time I went in there to change his pants I felt the judgement of EB so keenly on my shoulders. I don't really understand why a hospital can't have a 'parents room' or something separate from the disabled toilets.

#6 snortle

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (WootFerretOfDoom @ 13/12/2012, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which means that at some point while at the play centre, DD took her pull-up off and left it somewhere. No idea when or where. I'm hoping she took herself into the bathroom and did it there.

LMAO  roll2.gif

#7 YoursMineAndOurs

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

I organized a Christmas Party for DS1's class with anothe mum.

She did a pass the parcel and my boys were feral with it. If I didn't know all the mums so well and knew how laid back they were I could only imagine some Mum coming on talking about children who have no self control and mothers who yell at said children.

#8 librablonde

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Since my thread the other day about whether EB'ers make their kids wear their bike helmets in their own backyard and I was astonished to hear most people PP's give a resounding "yes" (and even a PP'er who had her child wear his helmet when trundling around inside the house!) I've been noticing everywhere that helmets aren't worn and some EB'er would be appalled: my kids childcare centre doesn't have the kids wear helmets when riding on their bikes and scooters. My DS's Kinder doesn't have the kids wear helmets when they ride the school's scooters or bikes there either. The farmer living behind my property rounds up his cattle on his quad bike every day while not wearing a helmet. I would hazard a guess that most of the other farmers here in our rural area would also not wear a helmet when rounding up their livestock in the same way. And when my DP and I are mowing our grass on our ride-on mower we don't wear a helmet.

I'm not arguing the virtues of wearing a helmet or not, I'm just saying that EB's response was a stark contrast to what I see IRL around me.

#9 hoohoobump

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I spent ages whilst in a public pool recently trying to work out the scenario that had ended up with a panty liner stuck to the ceiling of the pool complex.

#10 Chelli

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I had one today! I was standing ready to cross the street when a car parked nearby.

Out of a hotted up Subaru complete with zebra carseat covers, jumped two people. Both had cigarettes jammed in their mouths as they needed two hands to undo the seatbelts, the guy had to grab his pack of ciggies to stash under the shoulder strap of his blue singlet and make an attempt to hold his 3x oversized jeans up. He got out, sniffed rather loudly and then wiped his nose with the back of his arm all the way down to his hand.  

Meanwhile, the girl had to adjust her bra straps and wrench the keys from the ignition.

I casually glance into the back seat and to my relief, no children (passive smoking concerns of course).

The woman now gets out of the car, her stringy/net looking tank top barely covered the tattoos of scary looking things. There were snakes up her neck, a large pair of wings on her back, and piercings all up and down her face and make up so loud I could hear it from the other side of the road. She looked over at me and smiled. I smiled back and then I glanced down and saw it. I had to look away as I could barely hide my disdain......

She was wearing 3/4 pants!! oomg.gif     nno2.gif

EB would so not approve! tongue.gif

#11 IsolaBella

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Being told by a mum at school that she was good friends with TH and had I tried her sleep routines on my kids?

#12 epg

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (*LucyE* @ 13/12/2012, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. The first woman had the current fashionable clothes but didnt wear them with confidence (and her scarf was poorly tied).

PLEASE elaborate.

#13 snortle

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (epg @ 13/12/2012, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PLEASE elaborate.

Hahaha, yet another way the upper class can tell if you are a bogan- you are wearing an inappropriately tied scarf- Shame! wink.gif

#14 i-candi

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (WootFerretOfDoom @ 13/12/2012, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not what I've seen but what I've done.

I took my kids to a play centre today. DD is still toilet training so I put her in a pull-up in case of accidents.

A good time was had by all, and a few hours later we left. When I got home, I realised that DD had a bare bottom under her dress.

I logged onto EB this evening half expecting to find a vent about feral parents who dump nappies at play centres.

ROFLMAO sorry that is soooo funny!

QUOTE (librablonde @ 13/12/2012, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since my thread the other day about whether EB'ers make their kids wear their bike helmets in their own backyard and I was astonished to hear most people PP's give a resounding "yes" (and even a PP'er who had her child wear his helmet when trundling around inside the house!) I've been noticing everywhere that helmets aren't worn and some EB'er would be appalled: my kids childcare centre doesn't have the kids wear helmets when riding on their bikes and scooters. My DS's Kinder doesn't have the kids wear helmets when they ride the school's scooters or bikes there either. The farmer living behind my property rounds up his cattle on his quad bike every day while not wearing a helmet. I would hazard a guess that most of the other farmers here in our rural area would also not wear a helmet when rounding up their livestock in the same way. And when my DP and I are mowing our grass on our ride-on mower we don't wear a helmet.

I'm not arguing the virtues of wearing a helmet or not, I'm just saying that EB's response was a stark contrast to what I see IRL around me.

oooooo we have a ride on and I've never even thought to use a helmet lol - it's soooo slow!
When living in suburban Brisbane everyone wore helmets. Semi rural NSW here and I haven't seen anyone wearing a helmet - except DD and kids in the street that wear helmets only in our street, not on our properties.

#15 RobotFerretOfDoom

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (i-candi @ 13/12/2012, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ROFLMAO sorry that is soooo funny!

For those of you keeping score at home, this was the same play centre as the one which inspired this thread.

I fully expect to turn up there one day to find that I've been banned.

#16 *Spikey*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

A friend was telling me about her children's ODD and ADHD diagnoses. I thought about EB and the really valuable insights you've shared about a range of stuff (BMJ in particular), and how that really helped me relate to those children (even though I was unaware of the issue at the time). EB can be such a blessing at times.

That, and the fact that 3/4 pants on me are really just long shorts - I haz looooong legs and iz tall.

#17 mm1981

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

I took my kids to the park this evening for dinner. We bought take away McDonalds to eat. My kids are 3 and 11 months. My 11 month old nibbled on a cheeseburger and chips.

All I could stomach was a lemonade.

Neither child was wearing shoes.

#18 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

My dd is home sick... So I was thinking of all those 'I'm feeling like death warmed up/ I'm having a life threatening reaction' threads.

Should I take her to the drs? Or emergency?

I also went out for dinner and searched my cupboards for some pants that were not 3/4 length. The best I could do was some that look more like capris.

Edited by Akatara, 13 December 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#19 *LucyE*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

but below come in bottles?

I would hope that this would be the ultimate sin tongue.gif

Whoops!  Damn you autocorrect.  I meant COKE.  Off to edit.

I spent ages whilst in a public pool recently trying to work out the scenario that had ended up with a panty liner stuck to the ceiling of the pool complex.

When girls like this grow up  laughing2.gif

Which means that at some point while at the play centre, DD took her pull-up off and left it somewhere. No idea when or where.

roll2.gif

(and her scarf was poorly tied).

PLEASE elaborate.

Rather than a chic, casual look like these (sorry, don't know how to insert image like magenta)
this
or this
or this
It seemed like she was going for a look like this except had the scarf so tightly wound that it was as thin as an 80's tie and the knot was so tight I wondered how she was going to undo it.  Instead of casual chic, it looked try hard.

#20 *LucyE*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

The farmer living behind my property rounds up his cattle on his quad bike every day while not wearing a helmet. I would hazard a guess that most of the other farmers here in our rural area would also not wear a helmet when rounding up their livestock in the same way.

That reminds me of the reality show "keeping up with the Jones'".  Even though it was a ratings success, they haven't made a second series yet because the relevant OH&S department was following up on so many infractions that were filmed and broadcast.

#21 Bathsheba52

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Oh, Chelli, you should do this for a living!

#22 TiredbutHappy

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I looked for a nice spot between two poles today in the shopping centre, then carefully backed into it.  As I walked away I actually thought to myself 'I fancy parked to avoid the car park crazies'.  Too much time on EB me thinks.... mellow.gif

#23 babatjie

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

We were at a bbq at a park. My 2 year old was playing with some older children. I saw him leave the group and before I could get there in time, his pants were down and he was weeing against a tree away from where they were playing. Oh well, better than wet pants!!

#24 snuffles

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Gumbette @ 13/12/2012, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I looked for a nice spot between two poles today in the shopping centre, then carefully backed into it.  As I walked away I actually thought to myself 'I fancy parked to avoid the car park crazies'.  Too much time on EB me thinks.... mellow.gif

I was so busy fancy parking and making sure I did not side swipe anyone's car today, I backed INTO a pole... car park crazies...

#25 Coffeemagic

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

I saw a mum entering the local supermarket today, she was swearing like a trooper and her two toddlers only had nappies on and no shoes  ph34r.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.