Christmas holiday dilemma
Should we be spontaneous or sensible?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Academic

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

As usual, DH and I have let Christmas holiday time creep up on us with no plans. We have two weeks off and will probably end up eating each other's heads if we spend them at home alone.

I threw out a joke suggestion yesterday that we just jump on a plane and go to Fiji. DH actually looked up flights then and there, but as expected, they were very pricey.

Then I looked up flights to Vanuatu instead, and they are surprisingly not that expensive. About $550 each, return. It would cost about the same to go most places in Australia at this time of year. Since we're more very-basic-bungalow people than resort people, we'd end up spending less than $800 each for a week of awesome jungle hiking and snorkelling on a beautiful island, which DH has never been to and I've never been to as an adult. Which is still quite a bit, of course, but potentially very worth it.

On the other hand, I've always wanted to go to Moreton Island and have never done so, even though it's so close to Brisbane. I've looked up camping permits and there are still some available for the week between Christmas and New Year's. So that would be a much cheaper option - just the ferry ticket, permit fees and food etc. for the week.

I know we should probably just be sensible and go to Moreton, but I've become quite swept up in the romantic idea of just jetting off somewhere exotic. We haven't left Australia for a couple of years after travelling for 18 months, and my feet are as itchy as someone with chronic tinea - even if it's just a short jaunt to the Pacific.

What would you do? (It's a nice dilemma to have, I know!)

#2 marnie27

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

I'd go to Vanuatu and save Moreton Island for another time. Vanuatu sounds perfect for a relaxing break and I love going overseas, experiencing different cultures etc.

#3 sad small umbrella

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Do it! Go to Vanuatu!

The weather is predicted to be very wet over Xmas...

#4 WYSIWYG

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Vanuatu without a doubt biggrin.gif

#5 RumbleBee

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

Vanuatu! I am totally jealous - I now live in the UK, and in this dark drizzly winter I can only dream of the option of a cheap trip to a Pacific island paradise!

Do it for me, OP!

#6 MrsLexiK

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

We did this 2 years ago. Everywhere we were planning in Australia was the wet season or was ultra expensive for Christmas. So we went to Vanuatu because it was cheaper. It rained really badly some of the days (which we knew was a risk) having said that we went to Fiji this year in the dry season and it rained really badly for a number of days as well.

#7 qak

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

If you have passports, Vanuatu!

#8 Zesty

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Vanuatu for sure.

#9 EBeditor

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

As long as you don't mind the humidity and dampness of the wet season, it's always fun to go overseas.

#10 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

Vanuatu, no hesitation!

#11 i-candi

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Vanuatu.

I'm off to check flights! Dh has an unprecedented8 days off over Christmas. In ten years this will make the only second Christmas off -and 8 days at that! Not requested, just regular days off. I've checked flights for this time and they are so expensive!

#12 Holidayromp

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

Another vote for Vanuatu - I think you will regret it if you don't.  It sounds like you will have an awesome holiday.

#13 Therese

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

Vanuatu for sure!!!

#14 baddmammajamma

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Another vote for the Big V!

#15 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Are you crazy?

Vanuatu of course!

We are spending more than that to spend 10 days with my MIL and BIL!  Sigh......

#16 Harmonica

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Vanuatu - you could do Moreton Island anytime!

#17 Toodee

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

I can't believe you even need to ask! My tickets to Vanuatu would have already been booked biggrin.gif

#18 whatnamenow

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Just as a hint for anyone searching for cheap beach holidays for christmas.  Hervey bay (3 hrs north of brisbane) is actually low season over christmas.  Because whale watch is high season its cheap here at the moment and absolutly stunning.

#19 Academic

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Haha, I should have known what most people would recommend! DH just called me to say 'do it, book it, they are looking for people to work in the holidays and I want to be far away!' So it looks like spontaneity wins!

#20 missy78

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Nice. Vanuatu is awesome. We went for Christmas one year - it's my favourite Christmas ever! (Well aside from one spectacular Christmas as a kid when Santa got me a smurf beanbag...)

#21 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Vanuatu - as a PP has said, it's supposed to be rainy over the Christmas/New Year break.

I am very surprised that there are camping spots left on Moreton Island this close to Christmas - its usually booked out 12 months in advance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.