Savoury party snacks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 carriesshoes

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

I've been invited to one of my best friends xmas party's this weekend, and she has a new born, so I offered to help with the food.

It's for afternoon nibbles and she said that she can take care of the swete things, but could I prepare some savoury snacks.  I have no idea what to make.

I have two little ones of my own and am time poor, so was thinking I'd take 3 different things.  One of which would be mini quiches (I'll just buy them and heat them in her oven).  Has anyone got any tasty / fast / easy sugestions???  

I have gone through all my cook books and there is nothing in this area at all!

#2 Elippo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Buy premade tartlet shells from Coles/Woolies

Fill with a mix of chopped tomato/onion/basil and dress witha couple of drops of balsamic vinegar

Fill others with a small scoop of cream cheese and some smoked salmon

Fill others with some roast beef (just get some slices from the supermarket deli) and a small dollop of horseradish cream

#3 tothebeach

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

I am making pulled pork sliders for dinner tonight.   They are often served in the States as a savoury snack on dinner rolls, rather than a fullsized bun.

Basically you slow-cook a piece of pork for 8-10 hours till the meat pulls apart with forks and pile it on a roll.  Easy and substantial.

Other options are your traditional heat and serve food from the frozen section of the supermarket or an antipasto platter.

#4 noi'mnot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

A variety of dips with some biscuits, bread and veggie sticks.

Antipasto platter.

Home made sausage rolls are easy, and always popular!

#5 Chelara

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

Chicken wings? Pizza scrolls, sausage rolls, antipasto plate (cold meats, cheeses, olives, pickled veg etc), vege muffins, sandwich platter, chips n dips, wraps cut into small portions, toasted Lebanese bread with hummus, spring rolls or other frozen dim sum type stuff.

#6 tothebeach

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

sandwich platter,

Actually sandwiches are a great idea.  Buy a pre-made chicken, make a chicken and mayo filling, get some good bread and voila.

#7 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

My mum does up one which is quite simple really.

Basically you get mini won-ton wrappers, pop them into a mini cupcake tin & bake them in the over at 180 degrees for 10 minutes - or unti golden.

For the filling

Mash up 2 very ripe avocado's mix with the juice of half a lemon, 1/2 teaspoon of tabasco sauce & 1 finely diced spanish onion.

Add into the won-ton wrappers & top with  a quarter of a cherry tomato

i think the wrappers come in a packet of 80 - it's quite a cost effective dish as well

#8 Justaduck

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Cheese & Vegemite scrolls!

#9 Funnington

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

So crass and very 70's but, what about little volovants?  You can buy the little cases and all you would need to do is make a mournay filling.  I wouldn't normally think of them but considering you don't have a lot of time yourself I would be combining part ready-made with part homemade.

- Cheats sausage rolls - puff pastry and little chipolata sausages.  Grab a jar of chutney to serve

- Finger sandwiches.  Use easy fillings like shaved roast beef from the deli, sundried tomatoes, rocket or baby spinach and a nice soft cheese like Camembert or Brie.  Other fillings could include a finely chopped BBQ chook, whole egg mayo and cress or alfalfa

There's a few suggestions for you. biggrin.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.