Poo refusal - 10 days into TT
What to do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

My DD has been toilet training for about ten days now. She's 2 yrs 3 months.

She will wee on the toilet or potty when I tell her it's toilet time, though sometimes needs a bribe to give it a go. If I take her every hour or so, she stays dry. She never asks to go, so if I don't prompt her, she wees in her pants. She will sit on the toilet until she's done her wee but then hops off straight away and wont try and poo.

Every poo has been in her pants, until about 3-4 days ago. Now she is refusing to poo at all. sad.gif we've got this vicious cycle of won't poo, then it gets hard and dry so it hurts, then she won't poo because it hurts...) for the last two nights she's done a large hard poo in her nappy before she goes to sleep.

So what would you do? Should I give up and put her back in nappies, and see if that takes the pressure off, and she'll start pooing again? I don't care about having her TT at the moment, I just want this poo thing resolved as its really upsetting for her (and me!) I've been reading about kids who have chronic problems with poo refusal for years so I'm scared silly!

#2 bubmakes3

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

My personal opinion (and thats all it is) for what its worth is that if she is not telling you she needs to wee and is only going on the potty/toilet when you prompt her or take her than she is not ready to TT.

I would pop her back in nappies and give it another month or 2 and try again.

ETA:
DS basically TT himself @ 2years 6 months. We had had two pottys in the bathroosm for a few months and encouraged him to use them while we were or before bath time etc. One day I was buying undies for myself and he asked for some Thomas ones. I bought him those and he demanded to wear them the next day to daycare - I thought ok lets give it a go and that was that. No accidents at daycare, 2 with DH when DH wasn't paying attention and DS couldn't get his pants undone (he still did it on the potty just with his pant on bless him) and that was that. I was going to wait until summer (December hols) but he had other ideas. It was eeh easiest thing I have ever done (I was dreading TT) and would highly recommend the 'wait till they are ready' approach.

Edited by bubmakes3, 14 December 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#3 IsolaBella

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

I would put her back into nappies. When my kids TT they were the ones who told me when they needed to go. No putting them on the toilet every hour.

ETA: I have also found that before 3.25yrs (age I TT the boys. DS1 got it all in 5 days. Day and night, no accidents. DS2 got wees fine but refused to poo in the toilet for another 6m so it does happen). DD at 24m told me she needed to poo and pooed on the toilet. this happened for 6wks. Then she refused to poo in the toilet and not intested in doing wee either. We tried again at 2.5yrs and once again a failure. TT at 2.75yrs (as we were at home for 2 weeks). She got it all fine within a few days. Since then though the next 3m have been a case of some weeks perfect and others where she simply refuses to wee/poo on the toilet  (even going so far as holding in when put on the toilet and then doing wee in undies 5 mins later). So I do find the 2yrs a more defiant time.

Edited by lsolaBella, 14 December 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#4 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thanks very much to everyone for your replies. I've rung daycare and ask that they put her back in nappies today, and hopefully her anxiety about the whole situation will resolve and she will poo again! I did try her in nappies a couple of days ago, but unfortunately she refused to poo there either sad.gif So I'm crossing fingers that it will all just resolve again if we don't mention the word poo or toilet for a while!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.