NSW Police officer fined for sexually assaulting Perth woman on danceflooor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Relish*

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

From the West Australian

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/break...ex-assault-cop/

Do you think a $7500 fine is ample punishment for a crime like this?  Do you think the outcome would've been different were he not a police officer? Or if the incident had taken place at somewhere other than a nightclub?

I commend the victim for pressing charges in this case,  as I know many who've experienced similar things or worse and not pursued any charges because it seemed pointless.

Edited by Therese, 14 December 2012 - 10:42 AM.
to link the story

#2 Hayleymumof3

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Do you think a $7500 fine is ample punishment for a crime like this?

No.  He is a POLICE OFFICER he damn well knew what he was doing was WRONG and did it anyway.  He KNEW the consequences of his action but thought he could get away with it.

Do you think the outcome would've been different were he not a police officer?
Yes, I think they are taking into consideration that he MAY be fired and feel sorry for him.  Why he hasn't been fired already is beyond me.

Or if the incident had taken place at somewhere other than a nightclub?

I actually think this is a mitigating factor they were in a nightclub she was in a dress she was asking for it right?(These are not my feelings at all but I am betting this is what people were thinking).

ETA cause I am even more cranky now after reading this bit

Judge Bruce Goetze ordered Sleigh to pay the $7500 fine to his victim, who is the daughter of a serving police officer, to help compensate her for her trauma.

Are the judges so stupid that they think money fixes fecking everything.  No amount of money helps fix the feeling of being violated.

Edited by hayleymumof3, 14 December 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#3 Feral_Pooks

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think the sentencing is reasonable. I would be loathe to jail a cop for something like that, especially considering he has already suffered financially and career-wise and it's a first offense.

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I think the sentencing (the fine) is in line with what others get for similar offences. Working in the legal system, from the sentencing ive seen, he seems to have been fined a lot more than other offenders.

I don't think fining is an acceptable sentence for this sort of crime though, to me, it kind of suggests that  the woman is a prostitute who can be bought for the right price.

#5 archygrouseferal

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

He's a decorated officer, but I'd question how good a cop he really is.  A decoration for whatever service doesn't necessarily mean that you understand what justice and law are really about.  

His being drunk was presented as a mitigating circumstance but I don't buy that.  I've heard of people being Jekyl and Hyde when they drink, but have never actually met anyone this applied to. Nasty drunks I've known were the same person with the inhibitions on socially unacceptable behaviour removed.

He's 45 and his victim was the 22 year old daughter of a fellow police officer.  He's not the policeman you would want to have to talk to about as a woman who had been raped, harassed, or in a case of domestic violence.

ETA probably best he isn't imprisoned, given he is a cop, but defintiely best if he no longer has a job as one.

Edited by archy's mehitabel, 14 December 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#6 CallMeFeral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 14/12/2012, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think fining is an acceptable sentence for this sort of crime though, to me, it kind of suggests that  the woman is a prostitute who can be bought for the right price.

I agree with this. I'm not sure what an appropriate sentence would be, but I'd rather see some community service (even better if it's somewhere he can learn about this stuff) or weekend detention etc, than a fine. The idea that money somehow compensates for what she suffered is just a bit gross.
I mean I don't know, from her perspective I suppose maybe she'd rather get money than nothing (if he'd got jail or community service). But I'm not sure she got given that choice. Just the money thing is very distasteful though.

There's a side of me that thinks she only got a conviction because she was a cop's daughter. I bet most of the people who get molested by cops, get intimidated out of pressing charges as the cops close rank around them sad.gif

#7 lynneyours

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

I think the sentencing might reflect this:
She said Sleigh grossly misperceived the situation with the victim. "This was a spontaneous, opportunistic, intoxicated act which ceased the minute it was rejected," she said.

I have been dancing with guys before and had similar happen - which also was them mis-interpreting the situation - and I moved away and avoided them.  I wouldn't have actually ever considered to press charges for being drunkenly groped in a nightclub.  huh.gif  
Which is actually quite a sad statement on how common these things are today.

#8 Cat People

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

He was originally charged with sexual penetration without consent before pleading guilty to the lesser charge.

I don't think the sentence is enough, but accept it's a pretty normal one.  

I don't think it's fair the judge considered him being a police officer as a reason not to jail him.  People who kill/harm police officers are given harsher sentences; shouldn't it work in the reverse too?

Just another pathetic sentence for a sex crime.

#9 BetteBoop

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

I don't have an issue with punitive damages being paid to the victim. The same would happen if he punched her.

It's compensation for the suffering he caused. Quantifying emotional distress and assigning it a dollar value is a bizarre notion, but it's applied to many crimes.

I agree that if she wasn't a cop's daughter, it probably would have gone nowhere. But still, it's a reasonable outcome.

#10 Cat People

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 14/12/2012, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But still, it's a reasonable outcome.

You mean reasonable compared to other penalties for sex crimes?  

I wouldn't call it reasonable otherwise.  Receiving a lousy fine for penetrating a woman without consent hardly seems reasonable to me.  Fairly standard in our legal system, but I loathe to call it reasonable.
I'm sure he spent more on his legal counsel than the fine.  But he's all sorts of sorry.  Sorry that the woman was brave enough to complain.

#11 Relish*

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Also this week a woman was sentenced to 9 months in prison for assaulting a police officer - she hit him over the head when he refused to let her back inside a nightclub to fetch her handbag. Seems a much harsher punishment for a far lesser crime. A ridiculous double standard really considering police are the ones who are prepared and trained to deal with violence where most civilians are not.

The downgrading of charges from penetration without consent because of a guilty plea doesn't sit well with me either. Honesty should be expected, not rewarded, by altering the criminal charge - I know it happens all the time and there may well be a reason but I don't get it.

It just seems a more serious offence when the people you expect to protect you are the ones perpetrating, far more serious than a $7,500 fine suggests.

#12 Relish*

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 14/12/2012, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with this. I'm not sure what an appropriate sentence would be, but I'd rather see some community service (even better if it's somewhere he can learn about this stuff) or weekend detention etc, than a fine. The idea that money somehow compensates for what she suffered is just a bit gross.
I mean I don't know, from her perspective I suppose maybe she'd rather get money than nothing (if he'd got jail or community service). But I'm not sure she got given that choice. Just the money thing is very distasteful though.

There's a side of me that thinks she only got a conviction because she was a cop's daughter. I bet most of the people who get molested by cops, get intimidated out of pressing charges as the cops close rank around them sad.gif

I agree with you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.