Volvo XC90 or NIssan Dualis +2?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ~RM~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

We need are upgrading to a 7 seater shortly.

Up until recently I have been leaning towards the Nissan Dualis +2, mainly because we live on a busy street, and it is probably the only 7 seater car that would fit in our driveway allowing reasonable room to close the gate behind it.

I will have an 8 year old, a 2.5 year old, and a baby come May next year, so the issue of getting the two younger children into the car safely was my main concern.

Having read some reviews I test drove a 2007 Volvo XC90 today. It was a beautiful car to drive, has much more room in the boot/3rd row, and of course the big thing was the safety/curtain airbags in the third row.

My concerns with the volvo-

1. Its an older car, has low K's but Im worried about what parts/srvice etc will cost if something goes wrong. Any advice/experience here?
2. I will have to be super vigilant with unloading children every day, this really worries me.

My concern with the Dualis- Its smaller, which is also an advantage, but as far as the third row it concerns me safety wise.

So what would you do?

Ive looked at a few other cars and nothing else has really grabbed me, but if you can see an in between option Id love to hear it. Driveway can cope with a car up to prob max 4700 (but that would be nearly touching the wall and the gate so that would be hard work for me lol parking). We currently have an older CRV which is 4537 long and I can *just* walk behind it to the bins (except while pregnant lol).

Thanks in advance original.gif

Edited by ~RM~, 14 December 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#2 OneMore?

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I loved  my XC90 but my DH got a work Kluger and there is no point in two big cars so I got something smaller.

My GF had a 2008 XC90 that she had so many problems with, she spent over $10k on things that went wrong over the couple of years she had it. She sold it this year, there is a model that is not as reliable - do some research you should come up with it.

Can't help with the Nissan sorry.

#3 The Old Feral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

IMO, even more important than airbags is the fact that in the Volvo, the third row is not within the crumple zone of the car I. a rear ender.   That's only the case for a handful of brands so I would check the Nissan out carefully. At the time I went car shopping, Volvo was actually the only brand doing crash tests with dummies in the third row.

For me, safety wins over the other things you mentioned. Can you look at a model with parking sensors or have them retrofitted?

FWIW my Volvo is a 2008 and has only ever needed to go back for its annual service, which I do at the dealership for about $500.

#4 IsolaBella

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Citroen C4 Picasso. Best thing is the middle row is 3x45cm seats so fitting 3across is easy. Also only 1cm longer then a Mazda 3.

#5 ~ppp~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I have the Dualis 2+ and like it. You can easily fit three seats across the middle row so I haven't actually used the third row yet but it is for that odd occasion that I need it. I wanted a 7 seater so I can fit the occasional extra/school friend, but didn't want the huge car that came with it.

So far I have been very happy with it, I often have three kids in it and find it very easy. The lack of reversing camera in the ST version would be my only complaint.

Feel free to ask any qu's

Edited by knowsnotmuch, 14 December 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#6 Kavity1

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

we have an 04 volvo its fanastic and the only one i would consider putting kids in the 3rd row with. The crash tests they put the car through are intense.

The issues with the volvo are only the T6 version(avoid them) the rest are fine reliable cars.

THe seats are flexible with split fold  3rd row and if your condering another child I love that i could bring the centre seat forward seperately to feed or tend to the child (while I was a passagener) while they were still sercurely in as the anchors are on the back of the seats and it comes all the way forward.

#7 ~RM~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Thanks everyone, I did love driving the volvo, and the safety stuff really got me thinking. I have to weigh that up against the safety concern on our busy road....

And Im worried about the potential high running costs too unsure.gif

#8 Captain Plum

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

We bought our XC90 new in June 10 and after 2.5 years have only had to spend money on tyres. Which are expensive! They put pirellis on them which wear quickly but are quiet on the road. We got 5 years servicing with ours thank goodness so haven't had many other expenses. A beautiful car to drive, terrible turning circle!

#9 ~RM~

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies.

We went to Nissan and didn't even drive the car. It was just too small. For a long drive with all the family I wouldn't want to have to squeeze dd8 in between two car seats, and the third row wouldn't leave us enough room.

Mostly though the thing that decided it was just how close the third row was to the back door. The Idea of being hit from behind with someone in the back horrified me when I saw how unprotected it was.

So we went a back and had a 2nd drive of the Volvo and ended up putting a deposit down pending a vehicle inspection.  We got it for 33k with only 45 thousand k's so around the same price as the dualis if we went the leather.

I'm very excited! Can't wait to take it on our long drive in two weeks for our holiday this year!

Edited by ~RM~, 16 December 2012 - 06:29 AM.

#10 *bibs*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Great choice!!

#11 Super Cat

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

We looked at the Dualis too but it was just too small. Our 8.5yo could barely fit in it and DH'd head was sitting against the curve of the roof. There also wasn't a footwell in the back.

We ended up going for a Captiva. Much roomier, but I don't know how long it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.