Wearing a fur coat
Okay or not?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Froger

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

I've had a lovely offer from an elderly lady to give me an old fur coat. It would probably be about 40 years old, but is in good condition. It's just hanging around in her wardrobe going to waste. I would certainly use it.

I was thinking I could remodel it and make it a bit smaller and more fashionable for one of my teen boys. I know he would love it. He's quite into that sort of thing, and I can see him teaming it with skinny jeans and wearing it around showing off his skinny hairless teen chest, probably with some terrible medallion necklace to top it off, LOL.

I could also use off-cuts to trim other clothes.

I mean the animal is dead and gone, decades ago. The coat is sitting around doing nothing. It might as well be worn right? Or is this going to get me too much trouble?

#2 Fyn Angelot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

I wear leather shoes...

I'd wear the coat (and no way would I waste a lovely vintage piece like that on a teenage boy!)

#3 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

I reckon if it's vintage it's fine...

#4 feralangel

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

A 40 year old fur coat?

It must stink, or smell of mothballs.

#5 Froger

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Ange Vert @ 14/12/2012, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wear leather shoes...

I'd wear the coat (and no way would I waste a lovely vintage piece like that on a teenage boy!)

Well, I'd never wear it myself. But I know he would (probably even in the middle of a Queensland summer).

I was just worried I'd be forever explaining my decision, or have angry people confronting my son. But I'm thinking most people probably wouldn't even know it was real?

#6 Drowningnotwaving

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

The way I see it, it's already dead and done. You a arnt supporting fur trade, you are accepting something that has already being done.

Like been at a BBQ were left over meat is about to be tossed out, I don't see anything wrong with an ethical vego eating meat in that situation if they wanted.

#7 ~ky~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Your choice. If it offends your sensibilities then don't. If you are ok with it then do.

#8 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

I don't have an issue with old fur.

#9 Oriental lily

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

I saw a gorgeous fur coat in the op shop once. It was mink.

Even though it looked and felt gorgeous I could not buy it and not wear it. Mink farming is atrociously cruel.

I know some say vintage is okay ect but knowing the horror the animals went through took all the beauty out if it for me.

I think it's really a thing for your personal ethics.
I know some say that  if your not 100 percent vegan then we are all being hypocrites, which is true.

But we ll have a peronal no no's that differ from each other and makes no sense from different perspectives.

Unless the animals are ferals, farmed domesticated animals or in plague proportions I am not comfortable wearing it.

#10 Chaos in stereo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Edited by Chaos in stereo, 26 August 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#11 Therese

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

I wear leather shoes but I wouldn't wear a fur coat. I just wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it and my children would not be comfortable with it either.

#12 FiveAus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Wearing leather is a little different......leather hides are a by-product of the food the animal is farmed for.
Minks, however, are farmed for their fur.

If it's fox, I'd wear it with pride. I flipping HATE foxes and the only good fox is a dead one and if something good can be made from a dead fox, then someone should wear it and enjoy it. Because there's nothing joyful about the nasty little bastards when they're alive.

#13 Drowningnotwaving

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

I suspect an "ethical vego" wouldn't want to eat meat, leftover or otherwise.

My point is that animal had died already. Not eating it won't bring it back to life. Eating meat (or wearing fur) that's already died and been processed doesn't contribute to demand for such product. It doesn't support the trade of such product. If its going to go to waste it makes no difference if someone eats it or wears it or if it goes in the bin. If its going to go to waste you might as well enjoy it.

#14 Cranky Kitten

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 14/12/2012, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it's fox, I'd wear it with pride. I flipping HATE foxes and the only good fox is a dead one and if something good can be made from a dead fox, then someone should wear it and enjoy it. Because there's nothing joyful about the nasty little bastards when they're alive.

This is me, but add rabbits in there as well. Hate them too.

Admittedly I have no real qualms about wearing vintage fur - the animals are already dead, years ago. To toss their remains out on principle seems a bit wasteful to me.

#15 Floki

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Wearing leather is a little different......leather hides are a by-product of the food the animal is farmed for.
Minks, however, are farmed for their fur.

huh.gif
Right.....so killing a mink for their fur is not ok but killing a fox in the same atrocious manner is ok because  there is nothing joyful about them? What a hypocrite  rolleyes.gif

OP - I personally wouldn't wear it. I don't care how old it is. It still sends the message that wearing fur is ok.

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Fiveaus research is needed methinks.

Fox farming is nearly identical to mink and puppy farming.

The three are all carnivores with very specific social l and mental needs.

It's weird that you relish the suffering of one of them?

Edited by Oriental lily, 14 December 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#17 Froger

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Therese @ 14/12/2012, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it and my children would not be comfortable with it either.

See, I think this is what I'm scared of as well. Other parents looking at my child and saying, well my child wouldn't ever do that.  sad.gif

#18 FiveAus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a bullet square between the eyes of the foxes out where I live.
Quick and painless and rids the countryside of one of the nastiest vermin in Australia.

#19 4kidlets

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

I dont see the problem with wearing an obviously vinatge one - or with wearing fur when the animal was being killed anyway for other reasons - so have no probelm with cowhide rugs or leather or woolen jumpers if we are eating the meat anyway - or kangaroo/fox fur if we are culling the animals anyway.

I see that as different to animals being farmed or killed in the wild purely for their fur.

#20 Funwith3

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Drowningnotwaving @ 14/12/2012, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like been at a BBQ were left over meat is about to be tossed out, I don't see anything wrong with an ethical vego eating meat in that situation if they wanted.

One of the strangest things I've read on EB. That ethical vegetarian would then be supporting the meat industry because no meat would get thrown out, and therefore the same amount of meat will be purchased for the next BBQ. Apart from this its just going against their values. Where do you draw the line? Oh well, its already at the butchers, its dead anyway, I may as well buy it?? Or we'll buy extra meat because so and so is coming and she only eats the left over meat so this can be hers.

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 14/12/2012, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See, I think this is what I'm scared of as well. Other parents looking at my child and saying, well my child wouldn't ever do that.  sad.gif

If I saw your child wearing a fur item of clothing, I would judge straight away. If you and your son can deal with this then sure, wear fur. Even though its old, you didn't buy it, blah blah blah, you are representing the fur trade by wearing it. If my children ever come home wearing fur, they can walk straight back out the door.

#21 Mousky

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

I think the thing to remember is in the fur industory, wheter it be rabbit, mink, dog, fox etc, the animals are actually skinned alive with no pain killers and can remain alive for a few minutes after being skinned.

#22 LynnyP

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I use animal products that are a by-product of the meat industry.  I eat meat.  I try to support ethical farming and slaughter but know that I often just don't know.  Where I do know the industry is unethical (by my standards, which are obviously lower than many) I won't support it.

I think wearing a fur coat, vintage or not, that feels and looks fabulous is, in its way, supporting the fur trade.  There appears to me to be nothing ethical about the trade in mink, ermine etc.

#23 Froger

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Funwith3 @ 15/12/2012, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If my children ever come home wearing fur, they can walk straight back out the door.

Really? Wow! That seems a bit harsh - but yes I am scared of such judgments, so thanks for being so honest - I want to know what people would think of me and/or my child.

But just to be clear, it is from the 1970s. It is well old. I heard that even Peter Singer wears an old pair of leather boots that he's had for decades. My thinking on the matter is that if it one already has such a thing, purchased before realising the ethical problems with it, that it might as well be used rather than just wasted.

Edited by SarahM72, 15 December 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#24 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Id wear it.
But then I do already own a really nice vintage fur coat I found hidden in the back of an op shop years ago.

#25 blackbird

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 14/12/2012, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw a gorgeous fur coat in the op shop once. It was mink.

Even though it looked and felt gorgeous I could not buy it and not wear it. Mink farming is atrociously cruel.

I know some say vintage is okay ect but knowing the horror the animals went through took all the beauty out if it for me.

I think it's really a thing for your personal ethics.
I know some say that  if your not 100 percent vegan then we are all being hypocrites, which is true.

But we ll have a peronal no no's that differ from each other and makes no sense from different perspectives.

Unless the animals are ferals, farmed domesticated animals or in plague proportions I am not comfortable wearing it.

Agree, I too had this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.