Tick...1st time...did I get it all?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

Following on from
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...owtopic=1037862

Today found a tick on the dog & pulled it off with tweezers. It wasn’t too big (though not sure what big would be!) ...few cms long & wide.

Dog didnt flinch when I pulled it out and when I pulled it out its legs were moving.

Not sure if I got the head.

The would on the dog is concave and doesn’t seem open. I cleaned it thoroughly and he seems fine, he has been bounding around since I got back from work.

99% sure he did not have it yesterday as I am pretty hands on with him and always brushing/hugging etc so would have noticed.

Earliest he would have had it was since 6am this morn.

Anyway just worried since this is the 1st time for me with a tick..... do I take him to a vet or what?

He has a tick collar on and has been front lined (so much for all that!!!!!)

Just don’t want anything bad to happen to my baby  sad.gif

#2 Caseymay

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Having just lost my beautful little maltese to a tick I would say take him to the vet to be on the safe side. I pulled the tick off my girl (like I had many times before) and checked her over thoroughly and she seemed to be improving. What we didn't know was a second tick was on her and she developed pnemonia  sad.gif

#3 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hi Fefe, its sounds like you got the whole tick - or at least sufficient for it to be dead. However, where there is one, there is often more - it may be worth taking him to the vet for a check up, and to see if they can suggest a better tick treatment. Also, keep a close eye on him, just in case. Sometimes they get into places like noses, ears, anuses and so forth, and are the devil to find. If he shows any of the signs, get him straight to a vet.

#4 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Just to update
I front lined him again

He is fine, doesn’t seem to be showing any signs of anything being wrong and I make sure I check him all over whenever he comes in from outside now.

Hes not too impressed with me inspecting his bum though  wink.gif ...cant say I blame him!

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for updating - I am so glad I don't live in an area that has paralysis ticks. Although the local vet sees plenty of them from dogs who've been down to the coast. Hopefully it was just one, and hopefully not one of the paralysis tick kind!

One of the links had some suggestions for reducing ticks in people's yards in tick prone areas. Its worth a ratch around, if you think it may have come from your yard.

#6 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I do think it was a paralysis tick from the images I have seen of one, glad I found it when I did and got it out ok.

Will def look up reducing ticks in the yard.

#7 lynneyours

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Totally off topic, but I thought this was going to about Christmas shopping, all in one hit and I was looking forward to reading your strategy.  roll2.gif

Hope your dog is fine.  original.gif

#8 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

lol

well i have a strategy for that.... go away for Xmas, I am off 2 Indonesia for Xmas & New Year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.