Childrens school workbooks
Do you keep them?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 my4beautifulboys

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Hi, I have got two at at school now, yr 2 and pre-primary (5 y.o) It's almost the end of term now and they are bringing home their workbooks, english, maths, diary's. They are really nice and to see all their year's work all together. But the books are mounting up as i have kept them all from when they started school, i feel bythe time i have all three at school, it will just mount up to too many if i keep them all. Its so hard to part with them. What do you do, do you keep them all or just a selection of the best ones.

#2 Lucky11

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

No I don't.  This year alone I had 2 big black rubbish bags full of their books (3 kids).

I'd be classed as a hoarder if I kept everything.

I do keep a few little personalised things.

#3 gizboo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

I've decided to keep just their journals/writing books, the stories are too cute. Everything else is going!

#4 my4beautifulboys

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Yes its hard to decide, i think i'll also be keeping their writing workbooks and diary's, as they do write cute things i'll have to keep. original.gif

#5 skylark

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

I don't keep any of them. I do get my son to fill the entire book and do all the exercises though, before I turf them. I have been interested to see the hand full of stuff my mum kept from my childhood (literally I think it's about 5 things), and my husband has a similar number of representative bits and pieces, so I see no reason to keep every single thing. Stuff which is particularly cute/funny/interesting or shows a sudden massive developmental leap I keep. It helps that I can scan stuff and digitise it, but I'm not going to do that with school work books on the whole.

#6 RillyBilly

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

I either photograph or scan anything worth keeping that my son brings home.  It then gets saved on the pc and back up hard drive.

#7 DS1979

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

My son is only in kindy so at the moment I've kept everything that he's brought home but man, there is just so much of it! I think I will need to do a major clean out after xmas and cull what really isn't important otherwise our place will be filled to the brim with workbooks, drawings and just bits and pieces!

Thanks PP for the idea of photographing stuff before I chuck it - I think this might be the way to letting things go! original.gif

#8 Carmen02

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

no i dont keep them. I have a grade 4 and a grade 2 this year and the amount of work they have brought home wow!! I have kept some art work though

#9 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

When I was in primary school, we had a Record Book which contained our 'special' pieces of work. It was a sprinkling of stuff from all subjects, so we always kept those and binned the rest. I still have a couple of mine and it is interesting to see a range of stuff from across the subjects. So with my kids, I think I'd keep an A4 box and put in a few pieces from every year.

#10 gina70

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Mine are older now.  dd1 at high school throws them out before she even gets home.  In the past I have kept journals, art display books and portfolios that the teachers have put together with their work.  Everything else goes in the bin.

#11 casime

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Scanners are your friend.   Scan anything you want to keep and throw out the hard copies.

#12 Green Sheep

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

I have scanned some things like art work and made them into a photo book.  

#13 Expelliarmus

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

I usually tear out a few cool pieces and make a folio of the year that includes any certificates and things. They mostly get turfed. Anything bigger than A4 is photographed.

#14 mummame

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

I'll also be throwing most of them out. I have 3 kids and I would have no where to store all of their school stuff, not to mention we probably won't look at them again. I will keep anything special and the rest goes.

#15 Lyn29

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (gizboo @ 15/12/2012, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've decided to keep just their journals/writing books, the stories are too cute. Everything else is going!

We did the same - I kept one book per child per year, usually the one that had their free writing in it. By secondary school I just kept one or two essays per year and the odd piece of pottery.

They're pretty funny to look back on now!

I also have one of my dad's writing books, a couple of my mum's, my grandfather's and my great-grandfather's handwritten religious verse books. I love family history, and *someone* has to be the first to save this stuff!

#16 EssentialBludger

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

I keep the good ones with stories she's written etc, and chuck the everyday workbook type ones.

#17 sophiasmum

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

No way, where would I keep them.

#18 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

My 7 year old want's to keep it all. I keep the nice art stuff, the story books but most of it will be going... when I can sneak it out of DD's room! lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.