Dog Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

I've never owned a dog before (except when we were kids) we are most likely going to be moving into our own property which means eventually once we get fencing right we can buy a dog. I know that we could adopt through the RSPCA and the likes, but otherwise what is the best way to find a reputable breeder? I know there is a lot of talk on this forum about puppy farms etc, so for a novice like me, how do you make sure that you buy a dog that is breeded correctly and healthily? We are discussing either a miniature poodle, or a king charles cavalier as we want a small family dog. I am not a 'big' dog person so I have to be a fun (ie I don't like huge big dogs that lick you to death) but can cope with a smaller dog. But I actually don't know where to start our research.

Thanks for your help! Don't bite me - I'm asking to be educated!!

ETA we are typically cat people! So our entire dating and marriage life, we've had cats. But our cats were rescues from the RSPCA.

Edited by Katakacpk, 15 December 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#2 FiveAus

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

You could start here:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies.asp

or here:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/dog-breeders.asp

Start by contacting some and having a chat....some you will like, some you might not, but they are just people with a hobby they are passionate about. They aren't businesses selling a product to the first person who hands over the money, most of them will interview you and decide whether your situation and home is a place where they would like one of their puppies to live.

Good luck with your search, I have 5 pedigree dogs from breeders and they are the best dogs in the world. And in a year or so I expect to be one of those breeders myself.

#3 Therese

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

I have just moved this to the pets forum as there is so much helpful advice given there original.gif

#4 ubermum

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

The Kennel Club in your state will have a list of registered breeders. You can then contact the breeders and find out how to go about getting a puppy, meet their breeding dogs, and find out what type of dog you truly would be suited to.

http://www.petnet.com.au/selectapet/choose-a-pet

You can also look at that website to determine if there is other breeds that may be more suitable for you and your family. It also has links to breeders in each state of any dog you may choose.

Edited by ubermum, 15 December 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#5 *Ker*

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Find a dog show in your area and go along, wandering and looking at dogs and speaking to breeders. You'll find the right one.

#6 Mousky

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

ask to see the patents and kennels, if they refuse, bad sign. Also if they want to meet you somewhere else `more convenient` then bad sign too.

#7 FiveAus

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Mousky @ 15/12/2012, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ask to see the patents and kennels, if they refuse, bad sign. Also if they want to meet you somewhere else `more convenient` then bad sign too.

You can't always see both the parents though....often the sire of the pups will be owned by someone else and won't live with the breeder. None of the dogs I have on my short list as potential husbands for my girl are local, and I don't intend to use my own dog, so people interested in buying a puppy from me would not be able to meet the father of the pups.
These days breeders use semen from interstate and overseas, even from dogs who've passed away. In those cases, it's definitely not possible to meet the sire.

A lot of them don't have "kennels", I certainly dont and friends of mine who are breeders don't.....our dogs are our family and pups would be raised in the house and the yard.

Keep in mind too, that breeders are private citizens, they aren't businesses and some of them might not like strangers coming to their house.....and it might very well be more convenient to meet elsewhere. It doesn't mean they are "dodgy", it could very well mean they're cautious and exercising their right to privacy.

#8 Mousky

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 15/12/2012, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't always see both the parents though....often the sire of the pups will be owned by someone else and won't live with the breeder. None of the dogs I have on my short list as potential husbands for my girl are local, and I don't intend to use my own dog, so people interested in buying a puppy from me would not be able to meet the father of the pups.
These days breeders use semen from interstate and overseas, even from dogs who've passed away. In those cases, it's definitely not possible to meet the sire.

A lot of them don't have "kennels", I certainly dont and friends of mine who are breeders don't.....our dogs are our family and pups would be raised in the house and the yard.

Keep in mind too, that breeders are private citizens, they aren't businesses and some of them might not like strangers coming to their house.....and it might very well be more convenient to meet elsewhere. It doesn't mean they are "dodgy", it could very well mean they're cautious and exercising their right to privacy.

If a breeder doesnt want you on site, it is a worry, even if its a private residence. If they have nothing to hide, they will be open to you coming by.  I have been with my mother to a golden retreiver breeder and she was the one who recommended this. I understand that it isnt always possible to see the sire, but the mother should at least be available. It isnt only to check condition of the mother, but to see temprement too.

If a genuine breeder who has nothing to hide, wants to meet elsewhere due to privacy reasons, then they will have to understand that it will look dodgy to a lot of people who have done their homework on puppy farming.

edit for stupid typo.

Edited by Mousky, 15 December 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#9 FiveAus

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Not all breeders will have puppies available to see at first meeting, and there may be no good reason to go to their house. A lot of breeders will want to get a feel for the buyer before committing to selling them a puppy, and there's no reason that meeting can't be at another location. Plenty of breeders plan to meet potential buyers at dog shows or other events, just to have a chat and get to know the person.

This is often the preferred method because if the breeder decides that person is unsuitable to buy one of their puppies, then at least the person doesn't have their address when they're told no, sorry you can't buy a puppy.

I bought all of my pups without even meeting the breeder, in fact one breeder I haven't ever spoken to, it was all done by email. There is nothing dodgy about that. It's possible to build up a good rapport over email or the phone, and decisions can be made by both parties about the way to proceed.

#10 Scruffy Wuffy

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Yep,do as Ker suggested. Dog shows are always good for browsing at different breeds. Breeders should be very enthusiastic when you inquire about their breed and answer all your questions with pleasure. Dont be afraid to ask them anything that comes to mind. I'm always visiting shows here and always love talking to breeders about their dogs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.