Replacing bbq pork with chicken?
And which dessert to make?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FiveAus

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Tonight I am planning to try out some new recipes, mostly because I'm in a bit of a cooking rut and need some inspiration.
Through the week I made Jamie Olivers coconut buns and stir fry chicken, it was delicious and inspired me to want to explore more steamed buns, so I'm giving this recipe a go:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/7390/steamed+pork+buns

The only issue is I haven't been able to buy BBQ pork, would BBQ chicken be a good substitute? I have a whole cooked chicken, I also have bacon pieces if that would be better. I will serve them with a sweet/salty dipping sauce that I'll mix myself.

My other dishes will be an Asian chicken noodle soup (here):

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/971/asian+...ken+noodle+soup

And a dessert, but I can't decide which one. Maybe I'll just do both. They seem easy enough. Is two desserts too indulgent?

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16523/khao...rice+with+mango

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/27862/oran...nd+passionfruit

#2 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Edited by Balzac, 15 December 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#3 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Chinese bbq pork is pork cooked in a char sui sauce.

You can get char sui sauce in the supermarket in the asain section.  And just stirfry some pork strips in it.

If younwanted to sub with chicken, a quick cheat would be to grab a bbq chook and mix in some char sui sauce.

#4 FiveAus

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Yes, I know what the Chinese BBQ pork is, and I know that using chicken will result in a different taste and texture but I wonder if it would still be OK....different but still nice?

I'm 20 minutes from town, it's p*ssing down rain, rather hot and do I feel like driving in just to get some pork and sauce? Maybe, we'll see.

#5 Escapin

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

If you've got BBQ chook, then try this:
In a frypan, fry some soy sauce and sugar until the sugar dissolves, then add shredded chook and toss until nice and coated and dark. Will be more like teriaki, but still yummu inside a bun.

#6 FiveAus

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Escapin @ 15/12/2012, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you've got BBQ chook, then try this:
In a frypan, fry some soy sauce and sugar until the sugar dissolves, then add shredded chook and toss until nice and coated and dark. Will be more like teriaki, but still yummu inside a bun.

Thanks! That sounds delicious, I'll try that.

#7 Molondy

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

yeah - I don't know that BBQ chicken would have the right taste as a substitute. BBQ pork is almost sweet which is what makes the steamed pork buns so awesome. BBQ chicken on the other hand is almost the definition of savoury...

#8 Who is me

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

DH is chinese and his family make steamed buns all the time. It's totally ok to use something other then BBQ Pork. His family never use it. Chicken or pork mince cooked with ginger, soy sauce and oyster sauce in really nice. You could easily do something similar with a roast chicken. Yum.

#9 FiveAus

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

I used the BBQ chicken and just followed the recipe, and they were delicious.

My husband is a bit of a "steak and chips" man......if I cook him a scotch fillet steak, potato wedges and add a salad on the side,  this is food heaven.

But he LOVED our little banquet last night, he really enjoyed tasting new things.......he'd never had sticky rice or sago before and he generally avoids the soups section of the menu at a Chinese restaurant, so he had some new experiences and liked them.

Our favourite was the orange coconut sago dessert, it was amazing, but all the dishes were easy, tasty, and something I'd definitely cook again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.