Teachers
saints or the devil's handmaidens?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 BetteBoop

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

There are so many vents on EB about teachers not doing a good enough job. They tell kids about Santa. They don't stop bullying. They have untidy hair.

Why do teachers get so much negative attention?

Are teachers generally pretty crappy or do people have unfair expectations?

#2 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

I think teachers on the whole are brilliant, should get a lot more respect than they do, should get paid more than they do, and should be held in higher esteem than they are. Sure there is the odd dodgy one, but that is true of any profession.

#3 JuliaGulia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

I think it's because everybody has been to school, and seen teachers, and therefore know exactly what teachers do. rolleyes.gif

I'm not a teacher, but it drives me mad.

#4 BadCat

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Generally speaking, teachers are saints.

My issues with bullying and lack of extension opportunities are not about the teachers.  They are about education department policy.

You couldn't pay me enough to work as a teacher in the current school system.

#5 *LucyE*

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

As with any loose grouping of people, any one person is an individual. Not all teachers are bad/cruel/whatever. That individual person may be but it doesn't mean that all teachers are.

It just seems on EB, some people have trouble differentiating.

#6 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

I think it's the old talk about the bad ones thing, where those that are talked about as bad are the minority. I know I haven't started a thread to talk about the absolutely brilliant teacher my 7 year old has had this year- I probably should!

It is also that when dealing with parents the situation is very emotional for the parent, and often parents cannot see 'the wood for the trees' because what Mr or Mrs X is saying about their child can't possibly be true, so it must be the teacher's fault!

There has also been a shift, even in the time I have been teaching, away from students (and parents) having to take responsibility for their learning. There was a point in time where you could tell a year 12 that if they didn't get their work in on time it was too bad, so sad, but now you have to jump through eleventy-billion hoops to try and get the kid to hand in the work, to the point of having to accept something that was due in Term 1 on the cut-off date for marking in Term 4 because that is 'giving them every opportunity to succeed'. Whilst to a point I agree with the notion of giving them every opportunity, I'm not sure it is teaching them anything about being responsible member of society.

Anyway..l went off on my own semi-rant there... Sorry about that.

Edited by Jemstar, 15 December 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#7 JRA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

I think like any profession, there are good and bad.

Not all teachers are good, and not all teachers are good in all areas. Each teacher has a personality that deals better with some things than others. That is the same as if you were a nurse, a doctor, a policeman, an accountant, a lawyer, a check out chick.

Just because people complain about bad teachers doesn't mean all teachers are bad. In the same way people here complain about "bad" doctors, nurses, lawyers etc.

I would say that though that teachers seem to be very thin skinned. Maybe that is because they simply get sick of it, or because they are.

#8 Niamh23

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 15/12/2012, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's the old talk about the bad ones thing, where those that are talked about as bad are the minority. I know I haven't started a thread to talk about the absolutely brilliant teacher my 7 year old has had this year- I probably should!

It is also that when dealing with parents the situation is very emotional for the parent, and often parents cannot see 'the wood for the trees' because what Mr or Mrs X is saying about their child can't possibly be true, so it must be the teacher's fault!

There has also been a shift, even in the time I have been teaching, away from students (and parents) having to take responsibility for their learning. There was a point in time where you could tell a year 12 that if they didn't get their work in on time it was too bad, so sad, but now you have to jump through eleventy-billion hoops to try and get the kid to hand in the work, to the point of having to except something that was due in Term 1 on the cut-off date for marking in Term 4 because that is 'giving them every opportunity to succeed'. Whilst to a point I agree with the notion of giving them every opportunity, I'm not sure it is teaching them anything about being responsible member of society.

Anyway..l went off on my own semi-rant there... Sorry about that.

Completely agree with everything you've said here!  yyes.gif  One wonders how some of these students who are given chance after chance will cope when they have to go out and earn a living...

#9 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Teachers are thin skinned because so much criticism is heaped upon them when in reality much of the time their hands are tied by policy.

It also gets very tiring to hear over and over and over how easy your job is because you get a lot of holidays. It gets a bit boring after a while.

Edit - crazy iPad putting in unnecessary apostrophes.

Edited by Jemstar, 15 December 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#10 eilca

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

I am a teacher and I believe that on the whole teachers are a caring, passionate bunch of professionals.  I do believe there are a few really bad apples whose personality types do not suit teaching.  These horrid few can make a school year a cruel experience for some children and we tend to hear more about them.  And rightly so.

I have read some threads on EB and thought, "yeah right.  Typical school yard gossip based on chinese whispers", but I know from personal experience with one of my daughters that there are wicked teachers.  I have also worked with one or two teachers whose personalities were too manic for students to feel calm, safe and supported in the class room.

But as I said, throughout my career (long, I am ancient) and through experiences with my daughters, the majority of teachers are committed, caring, passionate and effective educators.

I just wish that people with concerns about their child's teacher went to the teacher and discussed them.  I have worked closely with the school this year regarding my concerns about my daughter's teacher and I have felt supported, with change being effected.  It would have never occurred to me to vent on EB about the situation.

So to all teachers out there...happy holidays!

#11 caitiri

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Teachers are people and so they range from wonderfully to crappy.  Not only that but different students will benefit from different teachers.

Good teachers can do crappy things sometimes (part of being human) likewise sometimes a teacher that is generally crappy can do something wonderful.

Crappy teachers can get better.  Great teachers can become crappy.

#12 kyrrie

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Not saints or agents of the devil. Just people.

Mostly people who care a lot about their students and work really hard with not enough hours in the day to do everything they need to do or would like to do.

#13 cinnabubble

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

I adore my daughter's FYOS teacher. I even wrote her a soppy note (that was so pathetic with gratitude that it will probably earn me a restraining order) because I am just so grateful to her for giving my daughter such a brilliant start to school.

#14 Lyn29

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Why would you ask this, especially at this time of year?

To get a few more insults thrown our way? Like so many of us aren't already hanging by a thread with one last week to go?

I can't imagine why someone would initiate this kind of thread out of kindness. Which leaves...

#15 StinkerSlinker

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

DD's teacher this year has been marvellous. We all loved her.

2011 - average

2010 - poor

So, as with all occupational groups, it's a mixed bag.

#16 Grobanite

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

I just wish that people with concerns about their child's teacher went to the teacher and discussed them. I have worked closely with the school this year regarding my concerns about my daughter's teacher and I have felt supported, with change being effected. It would have never occurred to me to vent on EB about the situation

Totally agree.

I sit with my son while he is doing his homework and regularly ask him how school is going. If I see any problems or he lets me know any I talk to his teacher.

teachers are only human and are only in your childs life for 6 hours a day. I am a big believer of parents and teachers working hand in hand to achieve the best for a child.

Edited by Grobanite, 15 December 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#17 mumtoactivetoddler

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Its partly human nature if you are happy, you tell a few people, if you are annoyed/ upset you tell a lot more.

We have had a truly, amazing fantastic woman as DS's teacher this year who has worked with us as a team. I told the headmistress I wished she could clone her. I wrote her a detailed thank you christmas card and made a whole lot of handmade chocolates and biscuits.

However, there are some people who should not be in the profession and should be fired. Unfortunately it is very difficult to do this. I think this is a major problem, the small number of terrible teachers tends to give the mostly hard working fantastic teachers a really lousy name.

#18 snuffles

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 15/12/2012, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Generally speaking, teachers are saints.

My issues with bullying and lack of extension opportunities are not about the teachers.  They are about education department policy.

You couldn't pay me enough to work as a teacher in the current school system.

What a surprise, I agree with BadCat!!

#19 Frazzled Cat

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I could live with being categorised.

It's being completely ignored that has me miffed.

350 kids. 1 hour a week.  3 subjects a semester.  

60 of those kids over 2 choirs, taken to eisteddfod, local performance days, Christmas concert.

Not ONE thank you.

#20 ~ky~

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

It depends on the teacher. My kids, for the most part have had amazing teachers - I admire them and take my hat off to them for being willing ot face up to a class of unruly children day after day and walk out of that classroom smiling and all of the children still breathing!

We have had notably, two horrendous teachers. One had lost her passion and seemingly had a horrendous dislike for boys. The other, even though I spoke to her before and after school each day, still inisisted my DS (who has aspergers and auditory memory issues) was constantly naughty and isolated him or sent him to a year seven classroom - he didn't learn or achieve anything in the one term he had with her. Sadly, I have heard many similar stories from other parents with regard to these teachers. DS was homeschooled for 3 terms last year due to the second teacher.

This year, we have had 3 teachers between the two big kids and I can't praise them enough!

Sure, they have blown their stack at the kids on occasion, homework and notes come home with spelling and grammatical errors (which they graciously admit when DD points them out) and they have brought out the best in both of my children.

It is like every occupation ... there will be some who are happy in their job and passionate about the kids and then there will be some who are there because it is what they know and it has just become about the pay packet at the end of the week. Some never seem to lose their freshness and enthusiasm (I'm thinking in particular of one quite elderly lady at our school who is amazing!) and some get jaded and tired very quickly.

Edited by ~ky~, 15 December 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#21 BetteBoop

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Lyn630 @ 15/12/2012, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would you ask this, especially at this time of year?

To get a few more insults thrown our way? Like so many of us aren't already hanging by a thread with one last week to go?

I can't imagine why someone would initiate this kind of thread out of kindness. Which leaves...

The intention was to start discussion about why there are so many negative threads about teachers and get people to think about their expectations and what can be expected from teachers.

I'm the last person on EB who would attack teachers.

I am always surprised that so many people seem to have issues with teachers when my own experiences suggest teachers should be preselected for sainthood. The teachers I've met and known have almost universally been passionate, dedicated and hard working.

Perhaps my experience are unusual or perhaps some people expect far too much.

#22 Quill

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Napcat....yes.

I have some lovely students, who have easy going and supportive parents. These are the families who give me handwritten cards and are worth their weight in gold to an exhausted, burnt out teacher.

Perhaps it has been an especially bad year. Perhaps I'm just getting old. But it seems to me that I have perhaps 20 or 30 stories from this year alone that exemplify the worst in human nature.

I have given my career to building the next generations of young musicians. But my current belief is that, with just a few exceptions, it's has no value anymore.

Perhaps I'm just having a soul destroying week. I'm very tired....I'm sure I'll feel better after a rest.

Much love Napcat - I'm thinking of you and hoping you're doing a bit better than I am at the moment. hheart.gif

Edited by Quill, 15 December 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#23 lylac

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

I love my children's teachers! There could never be enough wine, chocolate, and cards to express how grateful I am. My son has scored the same amazing teacher for next year, I was so happy I cried.

There are a couple of things that I have been unhappy with, but the teachers hands are tied. The education department has a lot to answer for. I think the system is broken.

#24 brangisnotaword

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

My kids' teachers are pretty good.  I'm happy.

#25 soontobegran

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

My kids that are all grown up have had a lot of schooling between them and in general I am in awe of the teachers they have been blessed with.
They had their bad days, some were better in certain areas of the curriculum than others but I can never remember feeling any doubt that they were committed to the education of my children.
I have made some long term friendships with some of my children's teachers and know just how lack of support from the hierachy and often the parents demoralises them.
If they are thin skinned it is only because they feel as though they can never get it right and constant criticism eventually chips away at their morale.

Teachers are mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, brothers and sisters and just like all other professions the majority do their very best.

EFS

Edited by soontobegran, 15 December 2012 - 09:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.