Jamie Olivers Get Ahead Gravy
As good as it sounds?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Allie_D

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

I was planning on pre-making the gravy for Christmas this year as I'm cooking both lunch and dinner this year and don't want to be overrun with things to do.

I came across Jamie Olivers Get-Ahead Gravy when I was watching his Christmas special the other night.

Get-Ahead Gravy

It sounds delicious, but has a lot of ingredients and I would hate to go to the effort and expense of making a double batch and then discovering it's not all its cracked up to be.

So has anyone tried and/or made this gravy?  Is it worth the effort to make it?  Also I'd have to make it gluten free so will have to ditch the normal flour.  Will corn flour work or should I use something else?

Thanks!

#2 Feral Borgia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Stalking  ph34r.gif ...I want to make it too!

(I reckon corn flour would be fine...but interested to hear other opinions on this)

#3 ~Supernova~

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

I haven't made it sorry, but it sounds tasty! Corn flour would be fine though, I often use it in lieu of plain flour in sauces and gravies.

#4 CharliMarley

I am getting lazy with the cooking of Christmas Dinner and I always made gravy from the pan left-over juices, and I now find that I like packet gravy and half the trouble. eexcite.gif

#5 Escapin

Cornflour is finely ground wheat flour, so don't use that! You can get gluten-free cornflour, or you could try a different thickener that is gluten free.

#6 CharliMarley

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Cornflour is the best, it doesn't make lumps if you stir frequently.

#7 Allie_D

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (Escapin @ 15/12/2012, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cornflour is finely ground wheat flour, so don't use that! You can get gluten-free cornflour, or you could try a different thickener that is gluten free.

I've been cooking for mum (who has coeliac disease) for 12 years now, so I know which flours etc I can and can't use.  I was more worried that cornflour would thicken it too quickly compared to normal flour.

#8 ~Supernova~

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Escapin @ 15/12/2012, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the reviews, they recommended potato flour for a GF option.

#9 Allie_D

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Mareek @ 15/12/2012, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the reviews, they recommended potato flour for a GF option.

Thanks!  I did not even notice all those reviews down the bottom roll2.gif

#10 ~Supernova~

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

If you want it to thicken slower, mix the cornflour with some water in a cup. I do this when making bechamel sauce.

#11 Feral Nicety

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Cornflour is cornflour.  Wheaten cornflour is wheaten cornflour wink.gif.

I'd go the potato flour ahead of cornflour if it were me.

#12 Funnington

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

At first glance, it does look like a lot of ingredients but, when you nut it out, it's probably not that bad - not great, but certainly not like Gabriel Gate's recipes (no wonder he got axed - everything had unattainable ingredients or difficult things like fresh truffles huh.gif )

I would certainly have a go and if it's successful - and I find all JO's recipes are - you could have a few of the ingredients on hand and would just have to buy the fresh stuff when you make it (chicken wings, fresh herbs and bacon).  

Gravy can make-or-break a baked dinner.  I think it's worth investment of time and $$$

#13 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I haven't made it yet, but I intend to in the next week- it certainly sounds like it's worth the effort.

#14 Unatheowl

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

We are making this tonight - thanks op for the idea!

#15 Chelara

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

I always use pan juices. It's the actual cooking off of the flour that gives the depth and colour you won't get that with corn flour. I think the potato flour does sound a good idea.

#16 Funnington

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

After making a mini adaption of this gravy last night, I highly recommend giving it a try.  I couldn't believe (and everyone agreed) how I didn't feel bloated like I do after eating commercial gravy mix - it really is so stodgy.  

It's so tasty you could just eat it with a spoon rolleyes.gif

#17 Allie_D

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (Unatheowl @ 16/12/2012, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are making this tonight - thanks op for the idea!

Let us know how it went!!

QUOTE (Funnington @ 16/12/2012, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After making a mini adaption of this gravy last night, I highly recommend giving it a try.  I couldn't believe (and everyone agreed) how I didn't feel bloated like I do after eating commercial gravy mix - it really is so stodgy.  

It's so tasty you could just eat it with a spoon rolleyes.gif

Thanks!  I liked the sound of it when Jamies wife said it tasted like a full roast dinner in a spoonful!

Edited by Allie_D, 16 December 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#18 nup

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

I have made it. It's the bees knees. I've now simplified it when I make a roast chook to piling up the pan with all ingredients underneath, then trimming the bird of all the stuff we won't eat. I then toss all this "junk" in with the carcass once it's stripped bare, along with whatever remnants of stuffing have fallen its way.

#19 Feral Nicety

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Did you all add the star anise?  I'm a bit dubious about it as it is so not a trad gravy ingredient and so many people said it was strident.

#20 DreamFeralisations

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

I saw him do that one last Christmas (or the one before) and have always thought it looked AWESOME...

#21 TheGreenSheep

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Stalking as well. I saw this on his Christmas show and wanted to know as well if its worth the pain.

#22 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

This looks awesome ... think I'll be giving it a go. Probably minus the star anise though.

It would be easy to divide it into smaller freezer portions as well.

Love love love gravy  wub.gif

#23 nup

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I use chinese five spice rather than straight star anise. More subtle, but still awesome. The trick is to cook it all up crispy so that it's sticky and caramelised, just like when you have sticky roast bits on the pan.

#24 *LucyE*

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

I haven't made this particular recipe but reading it, it sounds like it would produce a really flavoursome gravy.  All the extra ingredients is so that you are essentially making your own stock for the gravy base.

Re star anise - according to Heston Blumenthal, it contains a chemical that makes meats taste better.  I now use a tiny bit of it in most of my meat based stews and casseroles.  It really does give a subtle lift.  You can't taste the star anise itself if you are judicious with amounts.  Halve it if you really want to, but it is worth keeping in there.

#25 Just-one-more

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Just on the star anise front I add that to my spaghetti Bolognese and it is a subtle lift... so I'd add it.
There has been a few things on Jamie's shows the last week I really want to give a crack...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.