• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Spunkrat_*

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Edited by Spunkrat, 25 April 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#2 Ianthe

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

That would be very dependent on where you live and therefore how much the mortgage/rent would be.

#3 HeroOfCanton

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

I guess it depends where that $100k is going - of they own the house outright, own cars etc, then maybe, but otherwise I imagine it would be impossible. But then again, I only have 2, so have no idea how much 4 times the kids might cost!

#4 EssentialBludger

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

We couldn't. Well, we could, but it would mean no extra curricular activities, music lessons, OS holidays, private school, spoiling on birthdays and christmas, all the things we want for our children. We also have a pretty big IMO 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 3 living area house and I'm looking around thinking where the hell would I put 10 kids without them being crammed in like sardines.

Moot point though, there isn't enough money in the world you could pay me to have 10 kids. ph34r.gif

#5 BronR

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

In my current situation no.

But I guess a lot would depend on things like
where do you live (city/country)
do you have a mortgage/rent/own your place outright
what kind of lifestyle do you have
does that 100K include any other benefits/entitlements or are they on top

Not a one size fits all scenario.

#6 Froger

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I have almost that amount of kids. I'm currently studying and on government benefits (single mum) while I complete my degree. My yearly income (including child support and FTB) is alot less than $100K let me tell you, LOL.

#7 Guest_Spunkrat_*

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Edited by Spunkrat, 25 April 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#8 CountryBumpkin

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

We have number 6 on the way and have just taken a pay cut to almost 100k. It's do able, we have some debt we are paying off so it doesn't leave a lot of us, but means we can buy a house. I don't have teens though, I believe they get a lot more expensive. Anything is doable, I had 4 children and myself on 40k a year, paying 18k a year rent. You make it work if you need to.

#9 cinnabubble

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I imagine the FTB would be pretty high on top of the annual income.

ETA: not high enough to tempt me, though.

Edited by cinnabubble, 15 December 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#10 Banana Pancakes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

I probably could if I had to, but I certainly wouldnt want to.

#11 Sif

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Yep, on we could do it 100K and live as at least as comfortably as we do now.

#12 Ianthe

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 15/12/2012, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I imagine the FTB would be pretty high on top of the annual income.

I wonder if this was taken into account in the OP. Also wondering if it a fostering type of arrangement and some of the expenses for some of the kids are covered.

#13 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#14 littleboysmum

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

For my family? Not a chance in hell. But as pps mention, it depends on where you live, mortgage/ rent and lifestyle. I live in Sydney where the cost of living is high. I also like having enough money for extra curricular activities, holidays, schooling, meals out, entertaining etc. But that's just me. I suppose you can do anything if you have to. I am very good with money and could hopefully find a way if I had to. Nothing, however, could entice me to have 10 kids! I truly admire anyone with 3+ kids. I have my hands full with 2.

#15 librablonde

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Well, I'm raising 5 kids on a lot less that that so I expect that I could do 9-10 kids on 100K. In saying that, my mortgage is not huge compared to some I've seen and my kids don't have iPads/ DS's/ wii's and so on. We live reasonably frugally but still live "well" FYKWIM. It just means that each kid can't be doing more than one extra-curricular activity that costs more than $XX amount, you have to budget and plan ahead. My kids don't have the latest and greatest clothes or shoes or other consumerist items but they're happy. If the OP could plan ahead and wasn't already committed to massive loan repayments then it's certainly do-able.

#16 ZombieMum

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

We could do it in the area where we live - although we'd have to get a bigger people mover and get a larger house. wink.gif We would either extend the house, pull it down and build again on the same block, or sell and move further out, or rent our current house out, depending on what the most cost effective move would be. If you take into account the increase in FTB, we'd be able to afford an inground pool and tennis court as well. roll2.gif

We'd continue to send kids to their current schools - when you have quite a few kids close together in the Catholic system, then most of your kids can almost go for a free ride - well you still have to pay for camp, excursions etc, but the actual 'fees' might stop at 3 kids - but your 3rd child doesn't cost as much as your 1st child as they charge on a sliding scale. If I'd known that, maybe I would have had all my kids closer together so I could have got better value for money. laughing2.gif

#17 TheRedWoman

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

I think it is possible but would be tight. Like others have said it would depend on where they live, mortgage, schooling etc.
We have 8 and couldn't do it on $100k unless we drastically altered our lifestyle.

#18 Azadel

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Not with the lifestyle I want for my kids. But then we're just having one, so having a large family is not for me anyway.

#19 mitty82

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

mmm at this stage no cos that is what we do and we have 3 and paying off a car and a morgtage and it is tough. yes we do have holidays but nothing fancy. we buy homebrand etc. though i have never thought about cost of children when having them.

children can cost as little or as much as you want them too.

#20 copham

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

I have one DS with another on the way. DH earns over 200K after tax and we have plans to have maybe 2 more babies. I want my children to have a decent lifestyle so my theory is every 50K he earns ill decide if we can support another one Tounge1.gif
We have two mortgages (one is paid via rental return almost) and we have our own debts/bills we pay and as much as I would love a large family I would like to know that those we have don't go without.
To me personally it seems like very little money to have that many young children.

#21 CoFFeELoVe

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

I'd say it'd be tight, but not sure what FTB or anything they would get extra?

#22 whydoibother

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

gov would pay me so yeah

#23 Nofliesonme

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

My sister raises 9 on a hell of a lot less. All are 18 and under

#24 melaine

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (pukeko~ponga~tree @ 15/12/2012, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd say it'd be tight, but not sure what FTB or anything they would get extra?

Around $40,000 per year in FTB if the calculator was accurate.

#25 Mummytoyou

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Edited by lifehacker, 26 December 2012 - 02:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.