Dog ate some Christmas cake
Sultanas toxic to dogs?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sassy Dingo

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

I was cutting some Christmas cake for myself and a bit dropped onto the floor and my little maltese ate it before I could grab it off the floor. We're talking maybe a 1.5cm x 1.5cm cube. Dr google tells me grapes and sultanas can be toxic to dogs. Do I need to worry with such a small bit she has eaten?

She ate it at about 1.30pm and seems fine now at 7.30pm.

#2 starfire

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

I wouldn't stress about it but keep a close eye on her in case she does react to the cake she had eaten. Maybe look up the after hours vet phone number and keep that on hand if you don't feel right.

If it helps, one day I left a bowl of M&Ms on the coffee table when DH and I went out for the day. When we came back, I went to grab some M&Ms and the bowl was empty! I actually scolded DH for eating them and he looked at me in puzzlement and said that he didn't finish off the bowl. We eventually worked out that it was our puppy that had jumped up and ate the WHOLE bowl of chocolate M&Ms! For some reason, I didn't think my puppy would be able to jump onto the coffee table as we have another older dog who doesn't jump on furniture. rolleyes.gif

After panicking a little, we figured out that since it would have been a few hours after she had eaten them, it would be ok and she was fine - no side effects thank goodness. Its just what dogs do!  

Your dog sounds adorable! She probably thought all her christmases had come at once biggrin.gif

#3 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned unless you notice anything concerning in the dogs behaviour (toileting/lethargy/vomiting etc

The only 2 things I don't feed our dogs are onions and chocolate. In fact they do get things with cocoa in them occasionally. But ours dogs are 40+kg so it has less effect.

I am far more paranoid about cats (for whom sultanas are also toxic.)

I didn't even know sultanas were toxic for dogs! But I doubt the very small amount in such a small slice would have an effect. I would have thought they'd need to eat a whole cake for it to make a difference

#4 password123

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

There is no known toxicity level for the toxin in grape skin. The toxin can cause renal failure. If a dog eats something like the cake, then they should be made to vomit within 30 minutes. Too late now but your dog will probably be fine.

#5 Allie_D

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

MIL used to feed our dogs and BILs dog fruit cake all the time until she made BILs dog sick. She thought she was giving him a treat!  When she was at our house one day I saw her give one of the dogs a tiny piece so I let it slide, then she started feeding it a whole slice so I jumped in then!

#6 VintageEyes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

I have given my malteese both grapes and saltanas (before I found out they are bad). That was many years ago and she is perfectly fine.

Efs

Edited by VintageEyes, 15 December 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#7 Peridot

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Our whippet has eaten sultanas many times and is fine! I never knew they were toxic! Same as with onions!! And a whole packet of wafers!!

#8 B.feral3

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

I once had a dog who absolutely loved grapes. I used to feed them to him one by one. It was so funny and bizarre. I don't love them myself but use to buy them for the dog!!

Then one day someone told me they were toxic to dogs.  ohmy.gif ohmy.gif  I had no idea. They never seemed to trouble him but that was it for the grapes from then on.

#9 SarahVandooo

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

I wouldn't stress, one day I caught my little Jack Russell under my bed enjoying my stash of whitmans chocolates ( and I mean that ridiculous huge box you can get ) she was so pleased with herself. But she's fine. And chocolates supposed to be the worst thing of all, I wouldn't worry about a little bit of sultana!

#10 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

My dog once ate almost a whole bag of muesli with sultanas and what not ohmy.gif without incident. But she's 33kgs. I think the PPs suggestion of finding an after hours vet's number, just in case, is a good idea.

#11 Madeline's Mum

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Our Cavs have recently been picking up dropped sultanas from our one year old, and they are fine.

I wouldn't give them a packet load, but I wouldn't stress about a small piece of cake.

#12 elmo_mum

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

little dog eats, i mean steals chocolate all the time, hes still alive

we left the room for a few minutes, he ate a whole block of brie

he lives - besides a boot mark up him bum!!!

small bits here and there arent dangerous,

#13 Sassy Dingo

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Well she seems happy and well this morning so I guess it was all fine!

She is curled up on my lap trying to steal my cereal now.

#14 Oriental lily

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Our Maltese developed epilepsy after getting in to a stash of my sisters Easter  egg chocolate.
She started seizuring and developed some sort of brain damage meaning she would have one or two seizures a month for the rest of her life.

However my dog is the only dog I have ever heard of having a bad reaction to chocolate.
My sisters staffy got in to the Chrissy chocolates under her tree ( a couple of boxes) and was totally fine.

So I think it's a individual thing, like sultanas and grapes.
Could depend on variety of grapes as well.

I would  keep my eye on the dog but don't stress.

I think reactions to both chocolate and grapes is probably a rare thing.

#15 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Our Jack Russell demolished a large chocolate rabbit DH had hidden in the bottom of his wardrobe without any after effects.

But the real issue here: isn't anyone allowed to eat sultamnas any more?

#16 Feral Becky

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

No joke, we had a cocker spaniel that ate a WHOLE Christmas cake. No ill effects but be careful OP and watch the dog or take it to the vet. Best to be on the safe side.

Same cocker also ate 250g butter in one go, 1 cake of soap, 1 plastic shopping bag and an assortment of Easter rabbits under a bed, over their lifetime. Lived till 17,lol.

#17 FeralBob!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Old Grey Mare @ 17/12/2012, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the real issue here: isn't anyone allowed to eat sultamnas any more?

No. Along with fruit yoghurt, they are The Work Of The Devil. wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.