please....
my sweet DD i am worried

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mummaorange

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

my Now 8 month old beautiful DD has been "shuddering" regularly since birth maybe? (8 or more times a day) It is just like the cold "chill" shudder or "someone walking over your grave" etc

at 12 weeks i took her to CYH, and they made me get a referral from the gp to see a paediatrician.

She had her appt a month ago, and they scheduled an E.E.G, which she had this week.

She shuddered around 1 minute AFTER the E.E.G which sucks, as they didn't any on the E.E.G.

Now we have to wait for results... which may not come up EVEN IF there is something wrong, as it didn't happen during the E.E.G. time.

Other than the frequent shuddering she is very bright. Sits, crawls, pulls up, cruises etc..

i am so so so worried, and hoping someone else can put my mind at ease.

i feel i also need to say

-she doesn't lose conciousness

-doesn't fall over if she is sitting etc

Thanks.

#2 ~*Twilight~Zone*~

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

I worked with someone whose DD did something similar. Hers turned out to be something to do with kidneys. The waste was flushing back in or something like that.

I hope your little one is ok.

#3 PopsiclePeach

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

This may sound silly but do the shudders happen when she is urinating by any chance?  (TMI here), sometimes when my kids urinate they give a bit of a shudder.  This may tie in to what the PP said about the kidneys.

Hope it gets sorted out for you though and it is nothing serious, it doesn't sound like she is unwell so that is a good sign x

#4 mummaorange

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. Others have suggested this, but no it doesn't seem to be when she wees

#5 imamumto3

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

I do that when I yawn

#6 mummaorange

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Maybe ones every few days she has one after a yawn. But not regularly..

#7 Swahili

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Take her for a second opinion- it can't hurt.

#8 agnodice

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

I hope you get an answer OP.

But with all due respect, if your treatin medical team can't give you answers with a directed history, physical examination and various investigations, no one on the Internet should really pass comment or attempt to give you reassurance either.

#9 MrsW87

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

My DS2 does this. I had never thought it would be anything wrong. It just seems like its his 'little quirk'. My GP and CHN told me it was just something that some babies did. He doesn't do it as often as your DD but definitely at least once a day. I've linked his to different things, he doesn't do it all the time with the same thing though. Doing a wee is one, sometimes when food touches his tongue, its like there was too much flavor and he is doing it like I do when there is too much vegemite. Other times its when something brushes his skin lightly or if he touches something lightly its like it gives him an 'itch tickle'.

If you are concerned though. definitely go to the paed. I would be interested in hearing what the paed says about it actually.

#10 mummaorange

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Thanks I was just hoping someone else's bub did the same thing and grew out of it

#11 mummaorange

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

We are already seeing the paed, just waiting for next appt in feb

#12 BB1511

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

My DS used to shudder on and off most days when he was younger. I thought it was around the same time as when he did a wee. Hasn't done it for ages - he is 2. Had his kidneys scanned at out 6 months as paed at slep school thought could be kidney reflux. There was nothing wrong and he has grown out of it.
Hope that helps.

#13 ~Supernova~

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

DS still does this every now and then, it used to be alot more often. I just assumed it was his silent reflux (did it more often again for a week or so after he went off reflux meds about a month ago), as he would often "gulp" too. When it first started, I thought it might be something like infantile seizures, but after watching a video changed my mind. The doctor said that babies nervous systems are immature, and they do lots of odd things at times, but to keep an eye on it and we would look into it further if it got worse/didn't go away.

Hopefully it is nothing serious OP.

#14 sunrise03

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

ETA - Double post

Edited by sunrise03, 16 December 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#15 sunrise03

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hi. My DD started shivering a couple of days after her birth. I would ask the nurses to take her temperature as I was worried she was sick. Her temp kept coming back fine. They didn't seem to take it seriously until one of them saw her shiver. They then took her off to have some tests and it was discovered she had very low calcium levels among other things. This affects the muscles which causes spasms. They began her on a calcium supplement and it soon settled. Maybe you could ask if she could have her calcium levels tested if nothing else shows up.

#16 kuggle

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

I think my DP still does this when asleep. His legs in particular shudder for a moment but he seems fine.  Might not be the  same thing as your little DD though.  

Hope she is OK .

#17 kadoodle

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Do you take anti-depressants, OP?  My DS2 shuddered every so often in reaction to the seratonin he got through me.  He stopped about 3mo.

#18 mummaorange

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thanks sunrise I will get them to check her levels :0)

And no never ever taken anti depressants but thanks for the suggestion :0)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.