Duromine

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 daisyt

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

I,m worried about my sister.
She is 37, lives OS, has 2 children,and has struggled with her weight all of her life.
She has also been on antidepressants for the past 2 years.
Anyway, we are very close, and talk every second day on the phone.
She recently told me about a friend of hers who has been taking duromine for the past 12 months and has lost a lot of weight (50+kg)
She spoke about it negatively, how her friend is extremely skinny, jittery , and always talks 'flat out'.
How much she has changed and how basically she is really just  addicted to 'legal speed'.

She phoned me 3 weeks ago and told me that she was sick of being overweight, had tried 'everything' and nothing has ever worked,so she'd been to her doctor, and he had happilly written her a script for duromine, and told her to halve her antidepressant tablet!!!!!
This spun me out, as all i have heard from her is totally negative comments about her friend, and her duromine addiction!
Now In the past 3 weeks she has phoned me(only) twice, and both times she sounded 'wierd'
just not herself! She says she's doing great, not hungry at all, and the only side effect is that she doesn't sleep!!!!
She is coming home for christmas next week and is staying at mums for 4 weeks.
I,m just really worried about her, Her change in personality, and the fact that she's basically halved her antidepressants in order to take speed!!!!! That can't be good!!!
Does anyone have any advice?

#2 daisyt

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Anyone????

#3 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

TBH I would never touch Duromine even if someone paid me. There is a reason it's hard to get in Australia and Dr's are very reluctant to perscribe it.
The make up of Duromine is a drug that can cause heart palpatations, increased blood pressure, irritability, anxeity and other less common side effects.

In all honesty it's a drug that should never be perscribed to anyone but I dont think that is a popular opinion.

#4 password123

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

Bad for so many reasons.
Had an acquaintance who was hospitalised for a duromine/anti dep interaction.
I'd rather fat than dead.

#5 mintjoolips

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

Why is reducing the antidepressant a bad thing? Are you expecting her to stay on it forever?

Duromine is not illegal, and if she is taking it under supervision I don't see the problem.

Sometimes it is hard to make changes when the people you are closest to only see you in a particular way, it makes it hard to re invent yourself.

#6 password123

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (mintjoolips @ 15/12/2012, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is reducing the antidepressant a bad thing? Are you expecting her to stay on it forever?

Duromine is not illegal, and if she is taking it under supervision I don't see the problem.

The fact that she isn't sleeping? Not good for someone with a history of depression.
I would also imagine the reduction in AD is because of potential for interaction rather than improvement in her condition.

#7 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

Being on anti-depressants for that long is not good - she obviously isn't getting good mental health treatment.
Anti-depressants have aggression as a possible side effect - mixed with an upper like duromine can 'cause a whole lot of other personality problems, never mind the sleep deprivation as well.

#8 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Magenta Ambrosia @ 15/12/2012, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being on anti-depressants for that long is not good - she obviously isn't getting good mental health treatment.
Anti-depressants have aggression as a possible side effect - mixed with an upper like duromine can 'cause a whole lot of other personality problems, never mind the sleep deprivation as well.

You know depression can be a purely chemical problem, for which antidepressants is the treatment, right? You're on ADs for as long as you need them...

OP, I don't know anything about duromine, but it sounds more like your sister needs support rather than judgement.

#9 HelenaHandbasket

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

I took Duromine for 3 months a few years ago. For me, it was very effective for losing weight. I didn't get any side effects other than not being able to get to sleep the first night (I slept normally from then on).

It was effective for losing weight. However the problem is you don't learn anything by taking it. You don't learn to make healthier eating choices, and you don't need to exercise. After taking it. I continued as I had been (I hadn't learned anything!) and put all the weight back on (a twin pregnancy kinda didn't help that though)

It isn't speed though. It is similar, bit not the same. Speed is an amphetamine, while Duromine is a phenethylamine. Also, with Duromine you know what you are taking is prepared safely, regulated,and is consistent. With speed, you have none of that.

You are only supposed to take it for 3 months though as it cam be addictive. I suspect that your sisters friend either has a very very irresponsible GP or has been getting prescriptions from various doctors.

For people struggling with obesity, I think Duromine is something that is worth considering with your GP before considering weight loss surgery.

#10 CallMeProtart

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (Magenta Ambrosia @ 16/12/2012, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is complete bollocks. You should really do some research before making statements like that in a forum where someone could take it seriously.

#11 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 16/12/2012, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is complete bollocks. You should really do some research before making statements like that in a forum where someone could take it seriously.

There are a lot of Psychologists that are concerned about the harm caused by the side effects of anti depressants.
Here's a good paper about it
www.breggin.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=11
How do I know this? From working with a practicing psychologist.

#12 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Magenta Ambrosia @ 16/12/2012, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are a lot of Psychologists that are concerned about the harm caused by the side effects of anti depressants.
Here's a good paper about it
www.breggin.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=11
How do I know this? From working with a practicing psychologist.

Probably because psychologists aren't qualified to work with antidepressants....

#13 CharliMarley

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I think her doctor should know what he is doing and OP, you shouldn't take any notice of the EBers on this topic, they haven't done 7 years of medical training and they don't read the Lancet, so go awy from here and be guided by your doctor.

#14 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Winterdanceparty @ 16/12/2012, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think her doctor should know what he is doing and OP, you shouldn't take any notice of the EBers on this topic, they haven't done 7 years of medical training and they don't read the Lancet, so go awy from here and be guided by your doctor.

Unless it's a psychiatrist prescribing the medication a doctor doesn't tend to understand the mental health ramifications. GP's also don't provide therapy either which is important with mental health issues.

I have had bad problems with SSRI's and experience with Duramine. I am well aware of what both can do.

Edited by Magenta Ambrosia, 16 December 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#15 soontobegran

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (Magenta Ambrosia @ 16/12/2012, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anti-depressants have aggression as a possible side effect

What????

QUOTE (Winterdanceparty @ 16/12/2012, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The OP's sister lives overseas and if she has a friend who took Duromine for several months without stopping then it is obvious that she is NOT being cared for by her doctor.
There are very strict criteria and time constraints for use of Duromine in Australia for good reason. In places where you can by the crap without restrictions then there is clear disregard for it's negative affects.
Duromine is a poor choice for long term weight loss. You are effectively speeding up your heart rate and your metabolism. The body should not work under this stress for a long time.
BTW- If you actually read the Lancet you will see that Duromine is definitely not recommended for long term use for weight loss.

#16 JillyJellyBean

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

I agree with PP that anti depressant medication is for the treatment of a chemical imbalance and treatment with this shoudl continue as long as necessary. I couldnt care less what a psychologist has to say on the matter. This is an issue to discuss with a psychiatrist, gp and pharmacist.

As for aggression as a side affect - What the?

I think though, OP that you need to wait until you see your sister (if that is soon) to jump to any conclusions.

Can you invite her or a holiday here so you can find a decent dr for her to talk to?

People I know who have tried Duromine have taken themselves off it as its unpleasant.

Good luck and I hope she is ok.

#17 ubermum

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

This person is an adult. They have been prescribed thes medications by professionals. There is nothing you can do but sit back and be there in case it all goes pear shaped.

#18 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/managing-...ressants/all/1/

Aggression is part of mania which is one of the serious side affects - I'm just saying that mixing it with Duramine can increase your chances of such a side affect. Also depending on which medication she's taking weight gain can also be another side effect.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepre...ht-gain/AN01396

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.