Vegetarian Recipes for pregnancy - anyone got a favourite to share?
Spinach and Rice Bake

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Snugglepot77

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Hiya! I posted this with my DIG as most of us are going through an 'off meat' kind of scenario at the moment I wondered if anyone wanted to share any good vegetarian recipes as I'd love some new ideas! I don't really eat red meat anyway (I eat around it when I cook it for DP), have never had a steak but don't mind a bit of mince (once or twice a year!) on the odd occasion, so I cook a lot of vegetarian meals, but it would be great to see if anyone had anything new as it never hurts to have some new ideas!!

My mum reminded me of a great spinach and rice bake which I made this week and I'd forgotten how great it was! Recipe below! I made it for dinner this week and DP had invited one of his mates over so I wasn't sure how it would go down - but said friend was raving about it to his GF and he even asked for the recipe!!!

Spinach and Rice Bake (makes 9 large slices in a 28cmSQ baking dish).

4 packets of frozen spinach (or a few bunches of fresh spinach)
6 green shallots - sliced
1 knob of butter
1-2 cups of cooked basmati rice (can use brown rice if you prefer)
1 tub of cottage cheese
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1/2 cup of grated colby cheese (or tasty) plus more for the top
Parsley (as much or as little as you like)
Breadcrumbs (I used panko)
Salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste (it needs quite a lot of seasoning)

Put all spinach in a saucepan on a very low heat to defrost. Add the shallots and knob of butter and saute in the pan, adding the salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.

Remove from the heat and stir in all other ingredients (except breadcrumbs and extra colby cheese) then press into a baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs and extra cheese and bake in a moderate over (180 deg C) for abour 20 minutes or until top is melted and golden.

I serve this with a simple tomato, basil and spanish onion salad on the side.

Enjoy! original.gif

#2 Romeo Void

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I made this sort of 'strudel' thing the other day which was a big hit.  So tasty!

Broccoli and cauliflower in a cheesy bechamel sauce.  It was guess work as I was trying to copy the filling from my favourite store bought pastry shop.  I used a recipe I found on the internet but altered it by removing the onion and garlic and replacing with leeks (to try and replicate the store bought one).  I didn't really measure and it STILL came out really well.  So well I've got the ingredients to do it again!

Broccoli and cheese strudel
1 large bunch broccoli
1/2 small cauliflower
1 tablespoon of butter or marg
2 tablespoons of plain flour
1 leek
1 cup of milk
2 tablespoons grated parmesan
1 cup of grated mozzarella or tasty
6 sheets of filo pastry or 2 sheets of puff pastry
Spray canola oil or other spray oil

Cut up broccoli and cauli into small florets and microwave for 6-7 minutes with 1/4 cup of water (or boil on the stove if you prefer). Refresh under cold running water.

Melt butter in a small saucepan and add leeks and cook until soft. Add flour and cook for 1 more minute. Off the heat, gradually add the milk, whisking as you go. Sauce will thicken as it comes to the boil. Turn off heat and add parmesan and stir through broccoli and cauliflower. Check for salt and pepper to taste.

Spray between the filo sheets with the oil and stack them into 1 pile.
* Place mix along the long edge (leave a little gap at each end) and top with the grated cheese.

Fold ends in and roll up. Spray top with a little more oil spray.

* If using puff pastry, it is easier to divide the mixture into 2 and make two seperate parcels.

Place on an oven tray, seam side down and bake at 200 degrees celcius for 20 minutes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.