finger food
need help please!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 *melrose*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Its our turn to put on the family christmas lunch this year and was thinking of doing up a plate of finger food. What sort of finger food would you do?

Edited by *melrose*, 16 December 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#2 ~Supernova~

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I think it would depend on what else you will be serving. Personally I wouldn't be going to the extra bother on top of all the trimmings of Christmas Day. People usually just look forward to the main attraction! We are doing Christmas too this year, and with turkey, ham, chicken, and all the accompanying side dishes, making finger food would probably kill me LOL

#3 Pearson

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Carrot & celery sticks
Dip, a creamy one and a salsa or non dairy one (for those watching their weight)
Crackers
Cheese
Salami/kabana

Way easier than cooking.

Or mini scrolls try this recipe

#4 Fossy

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Freash prawns, oysters and bug tails, that's always our finger food. Yum!!!

#5 MissButtercup

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Will be watching with interest as we've decided on a 'platter' lunch for Christmas lunch...

So far I am thinking a turkey and ham plate and then something else that I am not sure of yet.....

Edited by MissButtercup, 16 December 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#6 elmo_mum

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

cheese
dips
pate

lol -a pregnant womans nightmare platter!!!!

felafel balls
pita
salads

#7 Jenflea

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Smoked salmon on tiny blinis(can be bought in the supermarket)
Chips and dips
Nuts
Pretzels.

#8 MissButtercup

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

This looks pretty good -

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18183/antipasto+platter

#9 Bodacious Prime

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

What about a huge dipping platter with

Homemade sausage rolls
Spring rolls
Meatballs on toothpicks
Fish cakes (little ones)
Prawns on toothpicks
Small pieces of chicken on toothpicks

with

Tomato Sauce
Chilli sauce
Satay sauce
Sour cream with lemon juice
and another sauce probably soy or fish sauce based

You prepare everything ahead and then just heat the first 4 in the oven before tossing the chicken and prawns in pans for a few minutes. Serve Hot.

I did this, among several other things, for a party we had last weekend and our guests positively inhaled it. If you make all the portions very small it will stop your guests from double dipping.

#10 *melrose*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

yum thanks ladies! lots of ideas there.

#11 Scruffy Wuffy

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

We made these the other week,well my OH did and they were yummy! Just make that dipping sauce to go with it and you should be right.
Sugar Cane Prawns

#12 *melrose*

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

thanks everyone.

#13 tres-chic

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Bruschetta
Wedges
And yes, as with PP comments, an Anti Pasto platter (chorizo, cheese, olives, etc.)

#14 EBeditor

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Bocconcini balls, cherry tomatoes and a basil leaf on toothpicks always look very festive and are easy to make.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.