Pavlova!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Is it hard to make from scratch? How long will it keep for and how far in advance can it be made? Anyone got a great version they'd like to share?

Thanks!

#2 ubermum

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

It's dead easy. I haven't got a recipe on hand but will give you a tip. Use a super clean mixing bowl, preferably glass or ceramic and not plastic. Wipe it and your beaters over with vinegar before you start. If there is any fat or oil residue anywhere, it won't work. It also won't work if you accidently get a bit of egg yolk in your egg white. Make sure you are very careful when seperating the eggs not to break a yolk.

I often make icecream on the same day. Icecream uses the yolks and pavlova uses the whites.  I just google my recipes or use a tried an tested one out of mum's old Margaret Fulton cookbook.

#3 chat

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Mine works every time! No mucking around to check bowl etc. Just 4 egg whites (mine are always straight out if the fridge) and 1 cup of castor sugar. Beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form then gradually add the sugar and don't add more until the sugar has dissolved. The oven and time vary depending on the oven and I never use timers. It should be low though and takes about 1.5 hours (feels dry and crisp). Thus is an old favourite recipe from a Women's Weekly cookbook.

I usually make mine fresh on the day but a day in advance would be fine.

Good luck!

#4 enigma

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Has anyone made one in a convection oven before?

#5 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

I was so hoping this thread would be in "baby names".   xmas_tongue.gif

#6 *LucyE*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

It's dead easy if you follow a few simple rules.

Spotlessly clean utensils. It can work even if they aren't perfect but your egg whites just won't whip up as well.

Use fresh eggs. They are easier to separate and the proteins hold up better.

Use room temp ingredients. Not as crucial in QLD because everything becomes room temp after 20 mins. It just means less 'sweating' from condensation.

Be patient with baking. It's best cooked on a low heat for longer than higher heat for less time. I usually do it at night and leave it in the switched off oven overnight. Jam a wooden spoon in the door to allow heat to dissipate so it doesn't sweat.

You can make it several days ahead of time undecorated. Don't put it in the fridge.

I think I use a Margaret Fulton recipe too.

Good luck original.gif

#7 Cherish

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

My husband makes our pav- he cooks them on 130(fan forced) for 1.5 hours, then turns the oven off with the door ajar to cook.
He uses:
3 egg whites
3/4 cup of sugar
1t vanilla essence

The mixture is easily doubled too.

#8 *melrose*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

we are putting on christmas lunch this year and there is no way i will have time to make this....can anyone tell me can you buy it in woolworths already made up?

#9 aprilrain

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

These days I cheat and use a "pavlova magic egg" out of the dessert aisle. I think you just add warm water and sugar. Instructions included. Whip up a bottle of cream and top with strawberries, kiwifruit and passionfruit.

My MIL is an awesome pav maker and uses the egg yolks to make custard that she puts on top of the pav. xmas_tongue.gif Yummy Christmas food!!!

#10 *LucyE*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Sure.  It's usually in the bakery section in various sizes.  Not quite as nice as homemade with that marshmallow-y centre.

#11 #YKG

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

You can buy the bases at Coles or woolies in the bakery section. I personally wouldn't decorate until the day you need it.

#12 aprilrain

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (*melrose* @ 16/12/2012, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we are putting on christmas lunch this year and there is no way i will have time to make this....can anyone tell me can you buy it in woolworths already made up?

I've seen the shells in W/w in two sizes I think and a small made up one in the cold cabinet in the bakery.

#13 Peanut

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

My one and only attempt at making a Pavlova yielded up a flat, sticky mess. I was later told by a friend that my error was making it on a humid day (it's QLD, when is it NOT ridiculously humid??)! Since then I have bought the pav base from the supermarket, but the tips in this thread have inspired me to make attempt number two!

But is it true that the humidity will just make another failure out of me?   unsure.gif

#14 #YKG

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Humidity does effect the composition if egg whites. Try doing it at the coolest part of the day when it's less humid.

#15 Peanut

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (YellowKittyGlenn @ 16/12/2012, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Humidity does effect the composition if egg whites. Try doing it at the coolest part of the day when it's less humid.

Hmm, maybe an evening project then. Thanks!

#16 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

I make them all the time in Q and while you might get a loftier pav in a temperate climate, mine still work.

The oven is the deciding factor--I used to have failures before I just left them in the oven overnight.  You do need pristine egg whites and fat free beaters and bowl which are dry.

#17 Le-a

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

The recipe I use (1cup sugar/4x egg whites) also asks for a pinch of salt. A lot of recipes call for vinegar, but I reckon I can taste it, so prefer salt.
I also second whisking well between sugar-adds, until the mix feels smooth, not grainy, when rubbed between your fingers. I beat mine like it owes me money.
I think this is one of the quickest and easiest desserts ever to make! Love it!

#18 Wahwah

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Super easy to make a pav. I use Stephanie Alexander's recipe. Here's a link.

http://www.allthedaze.com/development7.html

The oven temp and timing is important. I make mine a day before at night and leave it in the oven once cooked amd the oven is off, until morning.

My fave topping is lemon curd, mango slices, and Passionfruit. Oh and tons of cream.

Edited by Wahwah, 16 December 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#19 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

Many thanks, I'll give it a go.

#20 *LucyE*

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

But is it true that the humidity will just make another failure out of me? unsure.gif

I'm in QLD and make them successfully, even in summer.

Sometimes a bit of vinegar and cornflour also helps.  I find the above tips are generally all that's needed though.

#21 Missmarymack

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE (Wahwah @ 17/12/2012, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Super easy to make a pav. I use Stephanie Alexander's recipe. Here's a link.

http://www.allthedaze.com/development7.html

The oven temp and timing is important. I make mine a day before at night and leave it in the oven once cooked amd the oven is off, until morning.

My fave topping is lemon curd, mango slices, and Passionfruit. Oh and tons of cream.

When you leave it overnight in the oven, is the door ajar?

Thanks for the thread OP. I actually sent my aunt a message yesterday asking the same thing as Im about to make an ice-cream with 9 egg yolks. I think we'll be having pav this Christmas too.

Had anyone used egg whites they have previously frozen to make pav? I'm thinking of making the ice-cream this week but the pav would be for boxing day, so I'd need to freeze the egg whites . Will it still work ok?

#22 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

The whites would need to be kept meticulously dry with no chance of any water or condensation.  I've never succeeded in that personally.

You can make the pav and keep it for a week.  The risks are that it will weep a bit though if the weather is very humid.

#23 Jembo

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

This is my fav recipe at the moment, the chocolate in it is delish

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocol...rry-pavlova-200

My tip would also to be to make sure all the sugar is beaten in, scrape down the sides and use your fingers to feel it to make sure it is not grainy.

And if it does crack a lot, just break it up, put in a nice glass, stick cream and berries over the top and it still tastes aswesome.  I put my failures in little cute preserving jars and everyone always loves them and never know my pav flopped original.gif

#24 noi'mnot

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

I've had mixed success with the chocolate pav. It's not reliable for me. sad.gif

Lots of pavlova recipes call for cream of tartar, cornflour, and vinegar. Does anybody know what the role of these ingredients are? What effect does leaving them out have? I've got a feeling that different ratios of these things make a more marshmallowy or drier pav, but not sure where I got that idea from...

#25 Froger

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'm in Qld and have never had problems with humidity or anything like that. I've also never specially washed my beaters and bowl or been worried about traces of oil. I don't take special care separating the eggs, have had a bit of yolk, and everything's always been fine. I've always used the recipe on the side of the CSR caster sugar packet, although I only roughly follow it. I don't actually measure anything and I'm sure I add a bit more cornflour and vinegar due to just putting a small spoonful it without measuring. Have always turned out great. Pavlova making is easy and cheap - and if you look at the prices of the premade bases at the supermarkets, the price is shocking compared to making it yourself using a few egg whites and a cup of sugar.

Edited by SarahM72, 20 December 2012 - 01:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.