Spreading Christmas cheer - baking for neighbourhood

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Feralina

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

I'm lucky enough to have some nice neighbours (and some neighbours who seem nice enough, though I don't know them), and would like to do some baking this week to give to people in my little street for Christmas. Only, as I don't really know them very well (and a few of them are elderly), I'm not sure what to bake, as I'm thinking about things like:

*allergies - nuts, wheat, dairy, etc.
*high blood pressure
*diabetes
*other special dietary needs

So I'm wondering - does anyone have any ideas of some 'inoffensive' (for want of a better word) but still nice baked goods (or anything else that I can cook and share around)?

Alternatively, if your neighbour brought you something that you couldn't eat, how would you feel about it?

#2 *Lib*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Shortbread is always a winner...but honestly, if I hadnt seen your kitchen....I probably wouldnt eat them....I can't eat stuff made in strangers kitchens.

If it was something I couldnt eat, I'd serve it to guests over christmas.

Edited by *Lib*, 16 December 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#3 aprilrain

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

We make Rumballs. People say thankyou, if they don't want to eat them themselves they take them to others I presume.  I'd think 90% of people are happy to eat something others have made.

#4 NunSoFeral

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

OOooooooh - that's ace, zepellina!
How lovely.
I wish you were my neighbour. I eat everything.
I don't care who from - (I'm so ripe for poisoning)

Shortbread
Fruit mince pies
Edited - not baked goods.

Little lemon meringue tartlets
Cherry pie

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 16 December 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#5 i-candi

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (*Lib* @ 16/12/2012, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shortbread is always a winner...but honestly, if I hadnt seen your kitchen....I probably wouldnt eat them....I can't eat stuff made in strangers kitchens.

If it was something I couldnt eat, I'd serve it to guests over christmas.

ROFL I'm the same and I bake a lot !!! I make cookies, cup cakes and cake pops for a lot of people but I couldn't ever buy off a stall or even eat stuff I don't know who made. I also let people know I use latex gloves when rolling and smooshing up my cake pops because I think it's more hygienic.

OP just make your speciality, it will be warmly received even if the person can't eat it I'm sure. I cater for gluten free for an adult but I wouldn't cater for a child unless that person asks me (and I've been asked from a parent of a child with T1 diabetes and celiac disease).

#6 ubermum

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

I made Christmas cookies last week.  Just a basic biscuit recipe, but I used an egg replacer due to allergies. They were butter, sugar, flour and egg replacer. I used a tree shape cutter. iced them in green icing and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands. They were a huge hit. I used a recipe out of my year 7 textbook "Cookery the Australian Way".

#7 Peanut

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

What neighbourhood do we live in again?!!   biggrin.gif

What a lovely gesture, particularly to your elderly neighbours who would more than likely be quite touched by your kindness.

I think biscuits are always a good bet.  Shortbread is ripe for this season but any type of homemade biscuits are delicious.  If you are unsure about dietary concerns you could always slip in a note explaining what type of biscuits they are and what you have put in them.

#8 Funnington

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

I can't eat stuff made in strangers kitchens.

Yay, there's another food snob like me!  I thought I belonged in a museum.  

I feel horrible when my adorable, elderly neighbour next door brings me homemade 'things'.  Sponge cakes with cream are my worst fear.  It combines all my food snobbery - unknown kitchens + dairy products not from my fridge.

Can you just hand out a little cellophane bag of Ferrero's?  I would love that!

#9 *Lib*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1623/custard+biscuits
these are easy peasy, if they seem a bit wet put the mix in the fridge. They melt in  your mouth!

#10 my serenity

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

We do shortbread decorated every year and for the kids hars of premade ingrediants needing milk for over ten years original.gif the neighbours love it and some neighbours are brought to tears as their own family gave no contact. We are in a low income area .
And yearly we get fresh fruit veg and the fave of my son fresh cherries original.gif remember it takes a village  to raise a family

#11 Sunny Day

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

For my neighbours, I make shortbread and baileys fudge. I think it is a lovely gesture original.gif

-----

#12 *melrose*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

i am to a shame.. if i dont know the person i will not eat there food.

#13 aprilrain

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (*melrose* @ 16/12/2012, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i am to a shame.. if i dont know the person i will not eat there food.

I used to live in an old house converted into flats and had varied multicultural neighbours. All who invited me to eat. One was a Fijian Indian Grandmother with little english looking after her grandson so he could go to Uni. She would come and take my arm and say. "I cook, you eat!" lead me back to their flat and feed me delicious, HOT food. I'd have tears, and a big glass of water. Such beautiful, hospitable people. For many cultures food is a pleasure to share.

I will try just about anything and I have never had food poisoning. xmas_tongue.gif

#14 ELH05

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Homemade Rocky Road

#15 FiveAus

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

I wouldn't be too concerned about food preferences, if they can't eat it they can share it with visitors or family.

For those who don't eat something cooked by strangers, do you not go out to eat? Eat takeaway? Buy bakery goods in stores?

Edited by FiveAus, 17 December 2012 - 05:04 AM.

#16 Persnickety_

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 16/12/2012, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made Christmas cookies last week.  Just a basic biscuit recipe, but I used an egg replacer due to allergies. They were butter, sugar, flour and egg replacer. I used a tree shape cutter. iced them in green icing and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands. They were a huge hit. I used a recipe out of my year 7 textbook "Cookery the Australian Way".

Would you mind giving me the recipe?  My youngest is allergic to egg and I'm after a recipe for our Christmas cookies.

#17 jessie123

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Its a nice gesture but I probably wouldn't eat it either.

I constantly go into homes all day long and don't trust things I see wink.gif  I don't think I am going to get sick but I would think about it while I eat it.

I would appreciate the gesture.

#18 MegzG

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (ELH05 @ 16/12/2012, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Homemade Rocky Road

thats a great idea, not much chance of food poisoning and everybody loves chocolate. i guess just as long as you keep it without nuts or anything like that unless you know its okay
can you be my neighbour?

#19 beebsoferal

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

You've inspired me to do something like this. I really love m neighbourhood an we are moving next year so I want o o something nice. I'm a bit of a crappy cook, but I'll I've shortbread a go I think. Anyone got a favourite easy online recipe link?

I like the idea of cutting into Christmas trees and sprinkling with green and hundreds of thousands.
Might do green dyed coconut.

#20 NunSoFeral

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Christmas tree shortbread look great with some green icing (I use pure icing sugar , colouring and water) - dip tops of shortbread in and then quickly throw three or four mini m and m's on for baubles.

#21 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (*Lib* @ 16/12/2012, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1623/custard+biscuits
these are easy peasy, if they seem a bit wet put the mix in the fridge. They melt in  your mouth!

They look great!

I think this is such a beautiful gesture :-)

I cook food all the time for my friends and neighbours.  As far as I know it doesn't go to waste  original.gif

#22 ELH05

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

I actuall made some caramel sauce and popped it in some cute little jars for one of Neighbours and 2 good friends.  (I have a Thermomix so it was easy)

#23 CountryFeral

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Last year (this year we are going away early so I have been a slackity bum) we took people a bottle of our honey ginger beer and a box of puddlings.

Full of booze and every allergen known to mankind!

QUOTE (Zepellina @ 16/12/2012, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alternatively, if your neighbour brought you something that you couldn't eat, how would you feel about it?

I would imagine that those who don't want it/can't eat it pass it along to someone who can.

#24 Feralina

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Thank you all so much for your great suggestions. I didn't even think of the option of neighbours passing the treats on to others if they can't/don't want to eat them... means I can make something without worrying too much about allergies etc!

There were some wonderful ideas! I think I'm going to go with the shortbread (mostly coz I like it so much myself!) and maybe ice them and decorate them as trees :-) I have tree-shaped cookie cutters, so that won't be too difficult. And I might do some rum balls as well (again coz I like them!)

#25 mumma_ox

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Beautiful gesture.  I have to say that I am really sad to see so many folks here saying that they won't eat things they haven't seen made...I would much prefer to eat something home-made with love from your kitchen than some sort of pre-packaged processed muck from goodness knows where.

I second someone else's earlier comment about adding a little note with the ingredients - with so many different sensitivities around you are bound to miss something if you try to cater for every possible requirement - eggs, dairy, gluten, salicylates, amines, FODMAPs...I think it is better to just let people with sensitivities judge for themselves.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.