Chardonnay
how long is it ok for unopened

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 my4beautifulboys

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hi I have a bottle of angas brut pinot noir - chardonnay, it is unopened. I was wondering if anyone could let me know how long it's (shelf life, do you call it?) is, does it become stale? Thanks

#2 JuliaD

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Wine (even sparkling) generally lasts quite a while (years).
So even if its been sitting there unopened for a couple of years it will still be fine.

#3 =R2=

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

So glad this wasn't in the Baby Names section.

#4 my4beautifulboys

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Ok Thanks, It was bought for Dh and i for our wedding anniversary, i think it is 5 or 6 years old, so perhaps that is too long, =R2= ?? Not sure what you meant there  original.gif

#5 JuliaD

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (my3beautifulboys @ 17/12/2012, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok Thanks, It was bought for Dh and i for our wedding anniversary, i think it is 5 or 6 years old, so perhaps that is too long, =R2= ?? Not sure what you meant there  original.gif

The only way to know is open it.
It could be perfectly fine.
If you do - it won't make you sick or anything, it just might taste a bit different. Better than throwing it out something that could be ok!

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (=R2= @ 17/12/2012, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too. Yes open and drink. It may taste different and not to your liking. My dad opened a 10 yo white. He and mum loved it..... Mine went down the sink.

#7 my4beautifulboys

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I was needing an emergency gift as a Christmas present, but i dont think i'll use that, it might not be ok!

#8 JustBeige

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (=R2= @ 17/12/2012, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my first thought when I saw the title.  Followed by "Oh god, please dont let someone be so stupid to do that to a child".

OP - also depends on whether its corked or screw top.  If corked it can turn if the cork dries out a bit blurgh.

ETA: No, I dont think I would use it as a gift. just in case.

Edited by JustBeige, 17 December 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#9 my4beautifulboys

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Sorry about that i choose the wrong title for it. Yes i think it is corked it has the wire on the top then wrapped in gold foil.

#10 JustBeige

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

OK, its probably gone to vinegar then.  Usually the sparkling ones do.

Definitely dont use it.

#11 Feral llama

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (JustBeige @ 17/12/2012, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was my first thought when I saw the title.  Followed by "Oh god, please dont let someone be so stupid to do that to a child.

I instantly thought of footballers wives. At least It wasn't spelt shardonae or chardandae, but I did dread opening it incase it was going to ask about nicknames "chardy!"

#12 Le-a

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

OP what year is it? Is it non-vintage?

When you do open it, take a look at the cork. If it has split, shrunk, has a line or leak running up the side of it, or is visibly moldy then consider the wine effed.

If the cork looks ok then smell the cork, if it smells musty or kinda like wet cardboard then the wine could possibly be affected by cork taint. That's TCA, technically. This is the main reason why most Aussie wines are bottled under screwcap these days - to avoid TCA contamination (which comes from the cork). There are various statistics but most agree that about two bottles in every dozen were affected by cork taint when we were using cork. In the worse case, cork taint is very obvious as the afore mentioned musty, damp character on the nose and palate. In milder examples it can be difficult to detect, it can just deaden the fruit and make a wine look flat and dull. But having said all this, having a wine under cork (ie your bottle of sparkling) doesn't automatically mean it will be off. The only way to find out is to open it!

White wine can age very well, depending on variety and style. For example aged Riesling and Chardonnay can be superb, complex, interesting wines. Ive had sme amazing aged Hunter Semillion. On the other hand, a Sauv Blanc should be enjoyed within about two-three years of its vintage (it just won't look it's best, it won't make you sick or anything!). Sparkling wines can also be fantastic with a few years in bottle.

Another option is to call the winery it was made at and ask the winemaker. If he/she is not out drinking beer I'm sure they would be able to help you, they might even be quite interested to see how the wine is drinking themselves.

Have fun with it, I love opening a mysterious bottle!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.