So many zucchinis!
What to do wiz zem?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Le-a

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thanks to this totally weirdassed weather we are experiencing in WA (stormy muggy fugginess) our veggie patch is going bananas and I have a massive crop of zucchinis. Please hit me with your best recipes, I've made spicy fritters and roasted/BBQed about as many zucchs as I can handle...

Thanks!

#2 Tenacious C

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Zucchini slice - it also freezes well.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/5546/zucchini+slice

#3 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I was coming in to suggest zucchini slice also.

Another option is to grate and freeze them (if you have the space).  

I had this same problem in my last house - we ended up with 20kg of zucchinis  happy.gif

#4 Yomumma

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Zucchini and bacon slice. There is a chocolate zucchini slice recipe advertised on eb too..

#5 insomniac

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

We are in WA too and having the same problem, eleventy billion zucchini, tomatos and lebanese cucumbers.

We have been cutting the zuchinnis off quite small and just steaming them to go with dinner most nights. I have made some into chutney the other day (just googled a recipe). Zucchini slice, zucchini and sweet corn soup. Grate them up and add them to rissoles, burger patties, meatballs etc. I've made a carrot and zucchini cake before. They are also nice thickly sliced up and crumbed and baked in the oven.

Sorry, don't have actual recipes. I just google and try them out.

#6 LookMumNoHands

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

I often do this with zucchini -

Slice a couple, and pan fry with a tin of diced tomatoes, a sliced onion and a few cloves of crushed garlic. It's really yummy, especially on top of a bed of mashed potato.

Or give them away to horny people, to spice up the bedroom  biggrin.gif

#7 Romeo Void

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Zucchini relish, very delicious!

#8 elmo_mum

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

slit emlenghtways, scoop out flesh fill waith spag sance n rice
cook in oven

#9 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (LookMumNoHands @ 17/12/2012, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just spat most of my tea over my computer lol - so wasn't expecting to read that!!  laugh.gif

#10 Le-a

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (LookMumNoHands @ 17/12/2012, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a great idea! Might put a sign up out the front saying, "FREE ZUCCHINIS FOR HORNY PPL". That shoud get rid of a few.

Off to make a zucchini slice, now if only my chooks were laying!

#11 Funnington

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

I must be one of very few who find zucchini slice as about as exciting as a dried biscuit. biggrin.gif

When I was given a heap of zucchini's, I made a very simple soup and it froze well.  Sweat onion, chopped zucchini and a couple of medium size potatoes in a big knob of butter until kind of soft.  Add chicken or vegetable stock.  Season with cummin, salt & pepper and allow to simmer away for a while.  Whiz up with a stick blender.  It has a very silky consistency and lovely and aromatic.  

What about ratatouille?

#12 Unatheowl

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

I shred them in the food processor and freeze in batches.  That way you can make fritter or slice or whatever all year round!

#13 asdf89

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I had tempura zucchini with tomato soup at a restaurant the other day.

Just thin, long strips on zucchini dipped in tempura batter and fried. Very yummy - nice side or you could do a whole meal of tempura vegies. Or have tempura zucchini with dips for christmas time nibbles.

#14 niggles

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Zucchini soup is so much more delicious than you might think and is really quick to prepare.

Brown onion and plenty of garlic. Let it get plenty of colour and then add finely diced zucchini. Let that colour too before adding a tin of evaporated milk. Simmer till zucchini is soft and milk is reduced. Stir through a generous handful of grated paramasen. Serve chunky or blended. I prefer it lightly blended. Salt and pepper to taste.

#15 MacDiddy

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Chocolate zucchini loaf Here
Sooooo good.

#16 *LucyE*

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

I feed the oversized ones to the chooks. Some may think it's wasteful but they give me egg so I try to feed them well original.gif

#17 librablonde

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

If you know anyone with a dehydrator you can grate the zucchini and dehydrate them in large batches and store the dried zuch's in ziplock bags for use in soups, cakes and fritters for the rest of the year.

#18 nik_klinger

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

I love these, they are sausage rolls using chicken mince and zucchini. The recipe says 1 zucchini, but I use at least 3, enjoy.
http://m.coles.com.au/mt/un.recipes.coles....-sausage-rolls/

#19 PurpleNess

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Sausage rolls with tones of grated zuchinni, I use chicken mince and sausage mince....yum!

Stuff them with a mince mix,cover with cheese & grill

#20 ~*Amethyst*~

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

This is our favourite pasta although I add lemon zest & heaps more different chillies:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/17849/zucc...chilli+rigatoni

These meatballs are delish too. I add carrot & zucchini & usually more than the recipe says. Sometimes I add egg to bind & cook in the slow cooker. Mmmmm!

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...28004516AA6bOad

XxxAmethyst

Edited by ~*Amethyst*~, 17 December 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#21 Feral Cancerian

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

A Jamie Oliver idea that I've never got around to doing: grate, saute in butter and garlic, then freeze.

#22 Daisy Goat

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

From Essential Kids Moist Choc and Zuchini loaf

it is pretty good and freezes well

Edited by Daisy Goat, 17 December 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#23 cuddlebud

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Neil Perry's recipe for Zuni pickles - great on hamburgers and sandwiches.  

4 zucchinis thinly sliced lengthways
1 brown onion thinly sliced
1 tbsp sea salt
500ml cider vinegar
250g caster sugar
1tsp brown mustard seeds
1tsp mustard powder
1tsp ground turmeric

Place zucchini and onion in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and cover with iced water.

Combine remaining ingredients and boil for 3 mins - store in a 2litre sterilized jar and chill. Drain zucchini and onion and add to brine. Store overnight before eating - will last 3 months unopened.

#24 ingrid74

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Stuffed zucchini. Cut length wise and hollow out like little boats. Make a mixture of mince, onion,  egg, salt,pepper, bread crumbs and about 60% of the zucchini you've hollowed out and put it back into the boats. Make a sauce with red wine, tin of tomatoes, bit of tomato paste, garlic etc. Put the boats in the sauce and top with cheese. Cook in mod oven for about 40 minutes and serve with rice. My kids love this!

#25 mumma_ox

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Carrot cake without the carrot and with zucchini - freezes brilliantly either as a whole cake or muffins.  I never find that it dries out when it is frozen either, possibly because of all the liquid in the zucchinis.

I also grate them, squeeze out the liquid and toss them through cous cous or other grain-type salads.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.