Examples:
Using family or their friends/connections to:
- do work on your house
- purchase an investment with
- work for/with/hire
- obtain financial services/advice/investment advice
- etc etc etc

What have your own experiences been?

Edited by LifesGood, 17 December 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#2 mumandboys

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

I do alot of those things!  Some examples:

.  I'm self-employed - I employ my sister, my mum, my brother-in-law, and occasionally my husband.
.  have self-managed super with my husband, his brother and wife
.  Husband's brother is doing our rennovation for us

I think it depends on your relationships.  I'm quite concerned about the upcoming rennovation, but everything else has worked out fine.

#3 *Lib*

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

I work in our family business. Its tough.

My husband employed my uncle and one of my workmates husbands.....and he's finding it tough to get them to do what he wants because he's not comfortable telling them to kick it into gear.

#4 *CalamityJane*

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

We considered a business arrangement with the ILs (buying their share of a business from them). It went bad before we'd even signed on the dotted line. I'm glad it went bad when it did and not after we were in up to our neck in it. DH is still pretty bitter about it 2 years later, and FIL is not happy with how it turned out but at least we are still on speaking terms.

#5 ~ky~

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

DH worked for BIL. Never again!

He was taken for granted, paid whenever BIL felt like it and pay was witheld if BIL took offense to something DH said. It ended up causing strife and financial problems for us.

He offered me a job earlier this year. Needless to say, that although the money would have been fantastic, I turned it down!

#6 Feralishous

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

depends on the people involved.
we recently bought my sister an apartment, which worked out financially for us, but I wouldnt usually be involved financially with family

#7 lozoodle

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

The building company who have done our renovations (and are still doing them as I type this!) are a family friend of DPs.

But we pay them just like anyone else would, no special treatment or anything. Its taking a looooooong time too as he fits us in around other jobs to try and keep our costs down without actually giving us a huge discount if that makes sense.

#8 Chchgirl

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

I get on well with both sides of the family, but I would never employ any of them. None are skilled to do work on my house or work for me anyway, but I still wouldn't, I have seen others have fallouts with family members over tiny disagreements.

My mother always advised not to mix business, money and family!

#9 Unatheowl

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

I have done all of the above!  The only time it went bad was whena friend did a favour and did our Plumbing in a unit we were renovating.  When we cam back after a week or so he had left water leaking which ran under the entire floating floor which had to be replaced ate his expense.  Awkward.

I think it generally does work though provided you are all clear on your expectations and roles and any contingency plans are well articulated.

#10 Holidayromp

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

DON'T DO IT.

It is a very small minority that it works for.

We are still paying for our mistake of working with family four years on.  We are stuck in a massive hole and slowly digging our way out of it.  We had alot to lose when we did it.  The ones that had the least to loose benefitted out of it.

It has divided the family and has done irrepairable damage to relationships.  Things will never be the same again.

Basically MIL set us up for a massive fall to the point we almost lost everything to save her own a*se.

Run as far away from it as you can.  Also irrespective of whether they are family or not partnerships go sour as well.  You are better off going it alone.  If you don't have the capital save it.  Don't risk your lives, your financial future and relationships for the sake of making money as it rarely works.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.