Do you mind your children playing with toy guns?
Adelaide mother organises toy gun 'buy back' in response to US

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 tres-chic

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hi all,

As the mother of two boisterous boys growing fast we are now entering the era of nerf guns, etc.

I'd generally consider myself anti-toy gun for a variety of reasons but have never been sure how far to go with it.

Is it something you're relaxed about or are you vehemently opposed to having no toys of this nature in the house?

Interested in everyone's views.

Thanks

http://www.news.com.au/national/adelaide-m...n-1226538565645

#2 Majeix

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

I don't really like guns. I wouldn't encourage them and would possibly put them away although I can live with water guns. However, if my children were really really desperate for them I'd rather alow them to have it then make it an even bigger deal. My mother tried to ban guns for my brother and eventually relented and let a friend buy him a gun after months and months of 'lets go play guns' every single time he went over there.
I think some kids will play guns/make guns no matter what you do.

I have two little girls who are no interested though. One is into craft and animals and the other is obsessed with all things pink (I hate pink...).

Edited by Majeix, 17 December 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#3 Broxie

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

We love a good nerf gun war in this house. We also like water pistols, and have played the odd shooting game on wii or Xbox kinect.

#4 luke's mummu

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

My DS got  toy gun (complete with bullets) from a friend for his 6th birthday and we threw it away as soon as possible.
He has enough problems with violence and lack of self-control without practicing more.
He has asked Santa for a water-pistol for Christmas, and we have bought it, only for pool/outdoor use. They look like fun but I guess the only difference is they don't have bullets.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Majeix @ 17/12/2012, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think some kids will play guns/make guns no matter what you do.

I once asked my mum why I wasn't allowed a Barbie but she relented on the guns and she said that we would find gun-shaped sticks and build them out of Lego so it seemed kind of pointless banning them.

#6 MintyBiscuit

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

DS is too young for it to be an issue yet, but DH and I have discussed it and are not fans of toy guns. I don't have a major issue with water pistols and nerf guns, but toy guns that look like "real" guns will not be ok with us.

I think it's also about the context in which they're used. I think games with nerf guns or water pistols where you get each other is fine, but running around with guns going bang bang you're dead would not be ok with me.

#7 nothing123

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 17/12/2012, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's also about the context in which they're used. I think games with nerf guns or water pistols where you get each other is fine, but running around with guns going bang bang you're dead would not be ok with me.

What's the difference between a toy gun and a Nerf Gun or a Water Pistol?  Just a question original.gif

You think kids don't run around with Nerf guns shooting bullets and say "you're dead"?

#8 Mama8

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

i banned guns with my first 2 boys and they started playing wth sticks as guns so we relented and let them ahve water pistols

#9 FiveAus

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

My boys are 28 and 27. They were not allowed any toy guns of any description. It didn't make guns any more attractive, neither of them have ever had any interest in them at all.
They played with hoses and water bombs, they pelted each other with Nerf balls. They didn't miss out on imaginative play because I banned guns.

#10 Excentrique Feral

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I hate guns, however I do let my son play with toy ones. Just nerf ones which have soft bullets. I wouldn't allow the sort that shoot balls and actually hurt.

A lot of boys are naturally into wrestling, fighting baddies, etc. Doesn't mean they are going to grow up to a be a criminal.

#11 Tiger Lilly

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Don't care if it bothers anyone else.

#12 i-candi

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Cool buy back of toy guns. DS has a lot of toy guns he has grown out of !!!!!!

#13 MintyBiscuit

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (nothing123 @ 17/12/2012, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the difference between a toy gun and a Nerf Gun or a Water Pistol?  Just a question original.gif

You think kids don't run around with Nerf guns shooting bullets and say "you're dead"?

I look at water pistols and nerf guns as a compromise. I don't think I'll be able to shield DS from toy guns completely, and as a PP mentioned, you can make guns out of lego or a stick. If he were to ask for a water pistol or nerf gun, we would allow it on the proviso that the aim is to have water play with the water guns, or getting each other with the nerf guns. With realistic looking toy guns the only aim is to kill each other, or shoot each other.

I'm probably not articulating myself very well, and I could well be being naive in thinking we'll be able to do it. I know he's going to go off to school and friend's houses and play games without us knowing, but if he asks for a toy gun at some point I'd like to explain to him why we don't want him playing gun games.

#14 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I don't like any violent games where Kids pretend to kill each other.

Water guns are different IMO as the usual aim of a water gun fight is to spray the other person with water. But I wouldnt love them using water pistols to pretend to kill each other either.

I don't know what we will do yet. DS is too young. I don't think it's something I'd encourage but I don't know if it's something I'd outright forbid. Not sure yet!

#15 i-candi

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

What is the difference between Nerf, water and fake guns???

Nothing in our house, DS played the same with all three. Seriously if you don't allow guns that's ok, just don't allow water guns as well because kids will be kids and play the same as well - sure not pew pew you're dead but the end result is the same - you want to 'get' someone. Same with Nerf guns.

#16 Justaduck

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

No I personally do not have an issue with gun play. ..whether cap guns or water guns.
So many childhood memories of making barracks and forts playing with the old Super Soakers

#17 EBeditor

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

Andie Fox wrote a great article for Ek this month about kids & toy guns:
http://www.essentialkids.com.au/preschoole...1205-2au6f.html

#18 tres-chic

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (EBeditor @ 17/12/2012, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Andie Fox wrote a great article for Ek this month about kids & toy guns:
http://www.essentialkids.com.au/preschoole...1205-2au6f.html

Thank you.

#19 4kidlets

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Nothing in our house, DS played the same with all three. Seriously if you don't allow guns that's ok, just don't allow water guns as well because kids will be kids and play the same as well - sure not pew pew you're dead but the end result is the same - you want to 'get' someone. Same with Nerf guns

I think water pistols are fun and spraying water on people is not the same as shooting 'bullets' at them - its a compromise that I accept anyway.

#20 Azadel

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

I'm not rigid. I'm fairly against. Water pistols maybe. If he went to a friends' house and played with toy guns I'd be a little upset but raise the issue with DS "oh, it can be fun to pretend these things but real guns really hurt people".

I'm working on the assumption kids are 6 - what happens when their older? DS at 14 stays with a friend who lives rurally and they go pig or target shooting? I don't know. I'm a youth worker, I've considered scenarios with sex and alcohol, but not this.

#21 i-candi

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (4kidlets @ 17/12/2012, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think water pistols are fun and spraying water on people is not the same as shooting 'bullets' at them - its a compromise that I accept anyway.

I agree there but with DS the 'competition' was just the same as with any gun.

Now DS is 13 I'm having problems dealing with him the beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church and their ideals on stem cell research. DS thinks the church is putting up way to many barriers to stem cell research. Can anyone tell me what Anglicans beliefs on stem cell research? (DS is going from RC school to an Anglican school next year, let's hope Anglicans are more relaxed).

Kids change and grow, kids that enjoy toy guns don't always grow up to adults that like guns.

#22 harryhoo

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

My mum was totally against toy guns and when my brother was given one she told him it was a chainsaw. We still laugh at the image of him pretending to chop trees down in the backyard with a toy gun and making the 'chainsaw' noise.

#23 Covert

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I don't have an issue with it and in fact DS has a number of toy guns.

We are a "gun household".  DH has a number of firearms in the house.  All registered and licensed and kept in the approved manner.

Due to what we both do for a living we are also exposed to firearms in our line of work so this is our normal.

Edited by Covert, 17 December 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#24 babychacha

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

I don't like them and will never buy one for my DS. When we go to his cousin's place, its the only game his cousin likes to play and it drives me nuts. Not going to stop it but I do try and offer up other games/suggestions.

Would chuck one out if someone thought it appropriate to give him a toy gun.

#25 JaneDoe2010

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (nothing123 @ 17/12/2012, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nerf guns and water pistols have something other than shooting bullets associated with them. Trying to aim and get a suction cup stuck on something in particular (or someone LOL) or getting them wet is different to shooting bullets.

It is a compromise in my eyes. One that I'm comfortable with in our house.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.