Kids and freckles
Ease my guilt

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 lafonda

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I noticed yesterday that DS (4) has 2 freckles on his neck, 1 on his stomach and 2 on his arm. I am feeling really guilty that I let him have too much sun and ruined his beautiful skin  sad.gif

So how old are your kids and do they have freckles?

#2 Super Cat

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

One childs freckles started appearing at around age four. Another at around age five, and one was born with them on his foot. Clearly they're not the same type of freckles you get from sun exposure (although no one can actually tell me what type they are) but they look exactly like regular freckles.

Other kids never got any freckles.

#3 MintyBiscuit

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

DS had a freckle of the side of his bum, and I can assure you that it's never seen sun. Sometimes freckles just happen, so don't beat yourself up original.gif

#4 Excentrique Feral

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

my kids are 5 and 7 and have freckles. DD even has a couple on her face. Our skin is very prone to freckles and I won't deny my kids a bit of vitamin D so I don't worry about it.

#5 tres-chic

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

I feel exactly the same way.

DS1 is 6 (and three quarters  smile1.gif ) and now has a little spread of freckles on his face as well as a few larger, small mole-type freckles on his body here and there.

I worry I haven't put enough sun-screen on him to date, but actually, he has been slathered in it from birth.

My younger kids don't really have many at all so I can only assume it's just his skin type...but I'll await other posters' responses with interest.

#6 melaine

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

My 5 year old has freckles on his nose. He's got my fair, freckly skin tone.

I'm torn about sun exposure - skin damage vs adequate vitamin D levels. I worry I haven't used enough sunscreen and have damaged his baby skin. sad.gif

Edited by melaine, 17 December 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#7 FeralDancesHere

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

My 3 year old has two freckles. One on his wrist that he is very proud of, and one behind his knee.

I am very fair (burn in 10 mins) so he has not got excessive sun. I think they are normal and inevitable.

#8 anikal

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

My 2 year old has a freckle on his thigh. That part has never seen the sun. Some freckles just happen.

#9 OneProudMum

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Is this a serious thread?

#10 BetteBoop

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

My DD has experienced a miniscule amount of direct, unfiltered sunlight in her 5 years of life.

She has small black freckles scattered all over her body. I've got heaps of the same freckles too but I've seen a lot of sun.

I'm guessing it's not a sign of sun damage but just a feature of skin type.

#11 Propaganda

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Paler skin types are more susceptible to freckling, which is why you'll see red-heads (who generally have very pale, pink-based skin) with lots of freckles quite often. A child with naturally olive skin may not have freckles, but could be exposed to more sun than a very pale skinned child.

I wouldn't worry.

Paler skins need more sun protection than dark skins, but a light smattering of freckles is pretty natural for anyone with pale skin who has spent anytime outdoors.

#12 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

You're worried about your child having FIVE freckles on their skin? Time to get either some perspective or a hobby.

Edited by Swahili, 17 December 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#13 i-candi

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (OneProudMum @ 17/12/2012, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree.

DD 10 has a face full plus around the front of her chest/neck. I was born in the UK and red hair. DD spends her days outside. DS  13 never goes outside and I think he may have freckles, not many though. Personally I'd love him to go out and get freckles but he has an aversion to the sun.

I'll never forget the story mum told be about my older brother. They came over as 10 pound poms, mum put brother in the pram and walked to the shop in the hot summer sun. When she got home she told me that brother had  a mass of curls in his red hair because of sweat and a face full of freckles when at the start of the walk he had none.

I'd say it's genetic.

#14 Chazee

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

That's what i thought!! You should see my skin OP, you'd run for the hills screaming if you saw how many freckles i have all over my arms and face!! My skin certainly isn't 'ruined', it's just my skin type!!

My 2 eldest have a sprinkling of freckles across their cheeks. They look adorable. They have a freckle here and there over their arms, legs, body. DD2 even has a single freckle on her butt cheek. She hates it and her older sister loves teasing her about her 'butt freckle'. roll2.gif

#15 ~ky~

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

DH and I are covered in freckles. Our older two are little freckle faced kids and have a few freckles elsewhere.

I have a freckle between two of my toes ... I'm pretty sure that I haven't exposed that area to too much sunlight - I think that people either get freckles or not.

#16 Lazycow

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Just in case this is a serious thread rolleyes.gif

I am covered in freckles, especially my face and arms. My dad used to joke that I had been sunbathing under a sieve. laughing2.gif I was born and raised in the UK, so not really exposed to strong sunlight and still have them.

My eldest has a few on his nose, which I think look cute, he is also UK born and never  really been exposed to strong sunlight.

I really do think it is skin type, rather than sun damage.

#17 JJ

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

This is a bit of my sweet DD's nose/face (with adjusted colours for better visibility of freckles - she also had a weird type of rash on her face when this photo was taken, so ignore the red blotchy bits) - hope it makes you feel better OP.

I think freckles just happen. I have always had lots of them on my face and arms, and she seems to take after me. DS on the other hand doesn't have any... different skin type.

Edited by JJ, 18 December 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#18 Bluenomi

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

DD started getting freckles in places the sun has never seem before she was one. She's slowly getting more.

I have lots of freckles, DH has lots of freckles so DD was bound to get them as well. While I have more where I've been exposed to the sun, I've got plenty on my pasty white bits.

#19 leisamd

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

I hheart.gif dd's freckles. I do remember feeling similarly to the op when they were little, like under 2.

#20 laridae

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

My DD is 2 has has a small amount of freckles on her nose and cheeks.  She also has red hair, pale skin, and a dad who's face, arms and legs are completely covered in freckles.  I just have a few on my nose & cheeks, and a few more on my arms now that I'm older.
I think freckles were inevitable for her, no matter how much sunscreen we put on.

#21 emgem

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Freckles (unlike moles) only indicate sun exposure rather than sun damage. It is a genetic anomaly that causes melanin (skin pigment) to cluster. For some people they are almost inevitable.

#22 NotRocketScience

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

Both my kids have freckles. DD is about to turn 3 and DS is 6.5. Both of them have been slathered in sunscreen and hats since forever.

I am very freckly so think it's probably just their skin and cannot do much about it.

#23 CountryFeral

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

emgem is on the money.

Chill OP.... you are not a bad parent, your child is not damaged.  

You are (I assume) raising a child of anglo saxon genetics and living in the Southern Hemisphere, to NOT get freckles would be the oddity!

#24 Leggy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Okay, it's like this. There's 3 kinds of skin spots that generally get referred to as freckles:

Lentigenes: Dark brown spots with a defined edge, surrounded by normal skin. This is where you happen to have a cluster of melanocytes, the cells that make the pigment that turns your skin brown when you tan. Lentigenes stay the same regardless of sun exposure, and you either have them or don't have them based on your genetics.

Nevi: birthmarks or moles. They can be present at birth, or arise later, mostly from puberty onwards, and nearly all adults have at least one. They are caused by a combination of genetics and sun exposure - some people will only get them if they're exposed to UV, others will get them whatever they do. They are clusters of melanocytes, either flat or raised in a bump, and are benign of themselves, but keep an eye on them because a high proportion of melanomas arise from nevi. So if you've got one that starts changing shape, colour, or size, get the doctor to have a look at it quick smart.

Ephelis: the thing most commonly called freckles, flat little pale brown or reddish brown spots on your skin. They are just particularly concentrated clusters of melanin (the thing that makes your skin appear brown after sun exposure). There are two types - ones that appear fairly quickly with sun exposure (like the ones that pop out across my nose at the start of summer) and then fade away when sun exposure is reduced, and ones that build up over a number of years until they stay all year round, known as liver spots. Keep an eye on these last ones because they are a sign of permanent skin damage.

I assume the OP is talking about ephelis - they're rare in infants, but get pretty common in childhood, especially if you have one of the red-hair genes in your family. Then after puberty, you either get more prone to them with sun exposure or much less prone to them, depending on which gene set you have.

Presence of ephelis isn't necessarily a sign that you're exposing your kids to too much sun, OP. I'm a melanoma researcher and I never let myself get burnt, but I still get ephelis every summer.

#25 Iris37

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

All my kids have freckles, eldest DD more fairer so she has more. DS has red hair and quite a few freckles on his face. DD2 has some over her nose but her skin is more olive than the other 2. They have all worn hats and had sun screen applied. I dont worry about their freckles .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.