Gold Coast Accommodation
Recommendations please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jassy77

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

We are a family of five - Mum, Dad, and three boys 11,8,5. We are looking at visiting the Gold Coast (from Perth) Dec/Jan for 2 weeks. Looking for a central, (perhaps Surfers) apartment, near or on beach, great pool, 4 star +. Any ideas and suggestions of which parks to go?? Thanks.

#2 IVL

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

I stayed at the Hilton Residneces last year, a 3 bed apartment with myself, 2 kids and nanny. Whilst the apartment was great, I wouldn't stay there again with kids. We were on the 19th floor and could still hear the thumping base noise from the night clubs and street noise below. Earlier this year we stayed at the Sierra Grand at Broadbeach, so much better. Walking distance to beach and the best childrens playground we have ever seen right next to the beach. We could also walk to Pacific Fair shopping centre to get all our groceries as we ate in for breaky and prepared lunches for trips to theme parks etc as the food offerings are terrible there, nothing but chips and pizza etc. The hotel had a great pool, both indoor and outdoor.  

We liked Seaworld the best but as your kids are older maybe movie world or dreamworld woudl be more their style?

#3 Ice Queen

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I like Broadbeach or Main Beach.  For your age kids I think Broadbeach would be perfect.  I wouldnt stay in Surfers central.

Wet'n Wild!   Sooooooo much fun and your kids are the perfect age (although at 30 I was the perfect age too wink.gif )

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Any of the theme parks would be good for your kids, they are prbably tall enough to ride the majority of the rides.

As for accomodation, jump onto tripadvisor - i find they have pretty good reviews, though I can tell you in surfers that Chevron Renaisance & Circle on Cavil buildings are right across the road from the major bus stop which heads to all the theme parks!

#5 mitchsmum

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Recently stayed at Turtle Beach Resort at Mermaid Beach.  About 5mins drive from Pacific Fair shopping centre at Broadbeach.  The two bedroom apartments are great and they are only 2 stories high.  There are about 3-4 swimming pools, tennis courts, water slide, free movie theatre, pizza bar and cafe.  Only about 20mins to SeaWorld.  Great location, clean grounds and a 10min walk to the beach.

#6 babychacha

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

Don't stay in Surfers, its awful and not a good representation of the GC.

Broadbeach is a great location as already mentioned by a PP. Burleigh Heads is also nice.

Look at the Brekafree resorts. Groupon has a deal on at the moment.

http://www.groupon.com.au/deals/travelcity...kfree/716583202

I spent a fair bit of time looking into a GC holiday last night. Spent a lot of time on Trip Advisor as well. The general consensus seemed to be that Seaworld is better for young kids and Dreamworld, Movie World, Wet and Wild are better for the older kids.

I have family up there so was thinking I might stay with them for a few days and then check into the Marriot Resort and Spa for a few days and do Seaworld with my DS (5).

#7 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

We stayed at Treasure Island resort and it was fabulous. 3 pools, games, activities. Next door to a big shopping centre so we self catered most of the time.

Personally I wouldn't stay in Surfers, not geared towards families.

#8 Pearson

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (zlca_mummy @ 20/12/2012, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We stayed at Treasure Island resort and it was fabulous. 3 pools, games, activities. Next door to a big shopping centre so we self catered most of the time.

Personally I wouldn't stay in Surfers, not geared towards families.

This - while not on the beach, it is geared towards kids.

I would go to whitewater world with your age children over wet n wild, I find the majority of the rides are geared at the 12+ age group, and it is an older age group that attend vs the families that go to white water world.

If being on a beach is important, look at the Gold Coast Tourist Parks website, you may be able to get a cabin.  The kids have a ball in these situations - very social.

Surfers really is not a nice place these days unfortunately.  We have stayed at the Paradise Resort, and that was ok, not 4* by any means, but a bit further out of the main part of surfers.  
Being away from the action sometimes is better with kids.

#9 carls888

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

I agree. We used to live on the GC and still visit family there all the time ; please do not stay in Surfers Paradise.
Broadbeach, Burleigh Heads or Main Beach are the best spots. At Broadbeach check out the Talisman, Oceana, Carmel by the Sea, Beach Haven.
We use these places mostly.
In Main beach check out places on stayz.com.au, there are some lovely apartments.
Burleigh Heads: stayz as well.
Well that's what we do, also if you have a car miami or nobbys beach are great too.

C  biggrin.gif

#10 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

We always stay in Beoadbeach - can highly recommend Carmel By The Sea.

#11 jassy77

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Thank you for all your advice! Now to book!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.