wrapping assembled or in box?
larger items?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 -*meh*-

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

My boys have got a few larger items each this year...

one of them is a powerwing scooter which comes in a box but i am assuming assembly is required... should i open the boxes, put them together and then wrap...

or do i just leave them in their boxes and wrap that way?

#2 Jack's Mummy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

I would put them together first.

Nothing like wanting to use your present but you have to wait for mum or dad to put it together.

#3 MinkyMonkey

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

I always assemble beforehand, that way you know you have all the pieces in working order and you don't have a dissapointed child on Christmas morning with a toy that is faulty/requires batteries you don't have/takes ages to put together.

#4 tres-chic

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

I was mulling over this the other day as we have friends coming over xmas eve that I know will stay really late (they're hard to shift when the champagne corks are popping!  smile1.gif ).

I think this year we'll put them to work and assemble the night before - otherwise xmas morning isn't fun for DH wading through instruction manuals! (He's not very handy at the best of times).

Leaves xmas morning for eating ham and chocolate!  smile1.gif

#5 Myprincesses

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

We always unbox and assemble. But our kids are only 2 & 5 so want to play with toys straight away. Also that week now we have  everythig for it (like batteries etc).

But Would he be interested in helping assemble it? If so leave it boxed and do it together. If not just unbox and assemble. That way you eliminate some unnecessary whinging and potential arguments on a wonderful day.

Have a great Christmas

#6 Bluenomi

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

We are assembling DD's wooden kitchen so it's ready to go Christmas morning. Less stress for us and more fun for her!

#7 SierraX

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Half the fun is assembling the present and it will keep them occupied for a while! Depending on how old they are and capable of assembly/requiring help.

I'd leave them in the box.

#8 -*meh*-

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

hmmm....

they have rather large lego sets for xmas so keeping them busy won't be a problem... i might open one box and see how much is going to be required because i just remembered these ones have brakes and could be a pain to organise on xmas morning!

#9 Therese

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

We always put things together. (then we can mutter under our breath about how we should never leave things to the last minute on Christmas Eve Tounge1.gif)

#10 sophiasmum

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

Anything for outdoor, we assemble first. Any indoor toys, no, they are wrapped in box.

#11 mandala

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

It depends on the toy, but I like to open the box and get rid of the plastic bags and other packaging waste whether I assemble or not.

#12 Dionysus

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

DD (3.5 years old) is getting swings for christmas.  Father Christmas makes a special trip sometimes for big presents, and will bring it on Christmas Eve morning.  Then, she gets to 'help' DH assemble it that day.

Like tres-chic, we have christmas eve guests and we don't fancy having to put the swings together in the dark that night!

She will have other presents to open on christmas morning

ETA: Oh, and to actually answer your question, when DD got a scooter for her birthday, we assembled it the night before, then tied a big bow around it original.gif

I do prefer things assembled the night before, mostly

Edited by **Mel**, 18 December 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#13 Feral Alpacas

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

We assemble first. Last year someone gave DD1 a lovely Leapfrog puppy that says your name etc. Problem was we didn't know what it was before she unwrapped it and it had a ton of tags AND we needed to download a PC program for her AND we needed to plug her in to the PC to set her up! Of course DD1 wanted to play with her right away, so we have learnt our lesson now.

We assemble any presents from us and ask relatives who have sent gifts if theirs needs assembling. I want to relax on Christmas morning with my ham and eggs on toast biggrin.gif

#14 -*meh*-

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

oh i can't leave it unwrapped... we won't have time to assemble anything on xmas eve as we won't be home til late...

my boys are away for the next week so i intend to have everything wrapped etc before they get home on xmas eve...

#15 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

As others have said to assemble or not to assemble really depends on the age of the child and the complicatedness of the present. My DH and a friend's DH still shudder at the memory of assembling a Barbie bus on Christmas morning with an anxious child itching to play with it. It took them three hours! I would also suggest that assembly is done early - memories of filling bean bags in neighbours back yard in the dark with the assistance of a dog and many glasses of champagne (talk about a white christmas).

#16 -*meh*-

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

well they have been assembled... i opened the box and looked at the pieces and instructions and could see that doing it under the stress of children wanting them wouldn't end happily!

a bit of a PITA but at least they are done.... now i need to go buy more paper as i have 5 more large gifts and no more paper sad.gif

#17 CharliMarley

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Jack's Mummy @ 18/12/2012, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would put them together first.

Nothing like wanting to use your present but you have to wait for mum or dad to put it together.

This is awful for kids to look at a box on Christmas morning, when they just want to play with what-ever it is. My little granddaughter had to do that last Christmas with a doll's house and I think it is just laziness on behalf of the parent.

#18 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

I think that if the children are old enough to help with assembly or to assemble it themselves, or they're young enough to be distracted by something else while it's being assembled, then leave it in the box. Way easier to wrap that way.

However, if the children are of the age to want to play with it immediately and would be more of a hinderance than help in assembling it, then assemble it beforehand and wrap that way.

#19 FeralBob!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

We've always preferred to assemble them wrap so that if there are issues, they can be sorted in time. One Xmas a few years ago, DD was supposed to get a trike from my mum, but we literally could not get it together and had to take it back to the shop. Foretunately, we had other presents, but now I always makes sure that anything that needs assembling is done well beforehand.

#20 :-) Bec

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

I always assemble first unless it is something that can be used straight out of the box.

#21 *CalamityJane*

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

DDs are getting are tramp this year.  I'm now considering doing the "early Christmas" thing on Christmas Eve because I don't fancy trying to put it together in the dark on Christmas Eve, nor do I fancy trying to put it together Christmas morning before we head off to 2 x family Christmas functions, or worse, making them wait until boxing day!

#22 mumto3princesses

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

It depends on what it is really. There is assembly required and OMG assembly required.

The OMG type things yes definately assemble. So, things like little kitchens or dollhouses etc I would assemble. But my twins are getting a nice dolls prams each and they will be staying in their box. There will be some assembly required but probably just putting on the wheels.

#23 PrincessPeach

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

It's not just assembly that can take time - I recall spending nearly an hour on Christmas Day trying to get a polly pocket toy out of it's wrapping for my younger cousin.

It was a nightmare.

#24 2anewme

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Big things definately build the night before - in the past 2 years we have assembled a swing set and a trampoline in the dark after midnight on Christmas eve after our guests have left.

this year they are getting a wooden kitchen.  DH will be assembling that this weekend as we can hide that in the garage.

#25 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Really depends on how much assembly is required.

I take off all the ties and plastic crap, present back in the box. Then it's already to be pulled out of the box and played with. Bigger things like dolls houses I would assemble beforehand.

CalamityJane- our DD's are getting a trampoline too. I think we will have to put it up on Christmas day. Can't be done Christmas Eve because I have too much to do that day and we go to church in the evening. Boxing day we are at my parents and the following day at DH's parents for his birthday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.