Work not passing on important phone call. WWYD?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

So i drop the kids off at daycare at 6.30 this morning, both fit and well and go to work for a 7am start.  I work at a nursing home as a carer, and we understandably are not allowed to carry our mobile phones on us whilst we are working.  

At about 7.45am I run into one of the other carers and she tells me that the RN told her that 'some guy' had tried to call me.  Now I never get personal calls whilst I am working so I was immediately worried.  I go and find the RN to ask about the phone call that she took and she said that the 'guy' asked to speak to me, and she said that he couldn't as I was too busy with my residents.  DP says that she was very off with him.  (DP was calling to tell me that my 3 year old son had started vomiting at daycare, and he had banged his head yesterday so was concerned.  Also DP worked an 11 hour night shift last night so would have struggled to care for him today.)

I immediately got upset with the RN and told her that I need to be given messages as I would not get a personal call unless there was an important reason, and that I have 2 young children.  She told me that she was too busy to deal with personal phone calls.

Anyway I ring DP and find out what is going on, and tell the RN.  She is somewhat apologetic (probably because I was in tears by this stage because of frustration and worry for my son), and said 'oh well you better go then', to which I said 'well I am'.  I think she did feel bad for the way she spoke to both me and DP but I am so angry.  
What if it had been a major emergency??
Would you take this matter further (ie to the CNC)?
If I had not run into the carer, I would not have been told about my son until I checked my phone on my break, which would have been 3 hours later as the RN refused to let DP speak to me.
Thanks

#2 ChunkyChook

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

What did you DP say when he called?
If he just asked to speak to you and the RN said you were busy and he hung up then I understand. But if he called and said he was calling because you son was ill and needed to be picked up from daycare I would be furious.

#3 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (ChunkyChook @ 18/12/2012, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What did you DP say when he called?
If he just asked to speak to you and the RN said you were busy and he hung up then I understand. But if he called and said he was calling because you son was ill and needed to be picked up from daycare I would be furious.

DP didn't get chance to say that it was important as the RN said that I was too busy to take a phone call and then said bye and hung up the phone

#4 Madnesscraves

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

What a cow. Does she have children?

Look, i'd let it go. But maybe speak to her and say you understand the reason for no mobiles on the floor as being a carer is important. However, If a call comes through at the desk for you, its not a social call. and that the only people with that number is your DP and childcare. if they are calling, its because it's an emergency. Not because they want to know if you're bringing home dinner.

OR, ask her what the policy is on calls coming through from the front desk. She is likely stressed too, trying to get everything done. it's a stressful job for anyone.

#5 Ally'smum

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Yes absolutely I would be furious, she didn't even have a chance to find out if it was something important.

Yes I would take it further, not just for you next time but for anyone else who got an important call. Sounds like she is on a bit of a power trip and needs to be brought back into line.

Also, why don't you keep your phone on you and leave it on silent? That way you would be contactable at all times.

Edited by loggedin, 18 December 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#6 ekbaby

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

Sorry to hear your DS is unwell sad.gif

If it was me I wouldn't go in guns blazing and yelling but before starting your next shift I'd approach the RN and say "I know it's not appropriate to take the majority of personal calls at work but we need to have some kind of system in place where I can be contacted in an emergency. I have 2 children in daycare and if they are unwell the daycare needs to be able to contact me. What can we do about this?". Surely there must be other staff affected by this rule and they just need to have a procedure in place where the caller is asked if it is urgent and if it is they come get you? You can explain to your boss that you have told DH to only call you through the switchboard if its an emergency.

ETA: Instead of nitpicking about what did/didn't happen this time (ending up in a circular argumnet "he didn't tell me it was urgent!" etc) I mean to focus on the future and working out a solution in case the situation happens again

Edited by ekbaby, 18 December 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#7 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (loggedin @ 18/12/2012, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes absolutely I would be furious, she didn't even have a chance to find out if it was something important.

Yes I would take it further, not just for you next time but for anyone else who got an important call. Sounds like she is on a bit of a power trip and needs to be brought back into line.

Also, why don't you keep your phone on you and leave it on silent? That way you would be contactable at all times.

Company policy is that we are not even allowed to keep our phone on us.  Has to be left in our bag on silent

#8 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (ekbaby @ 18/12/2012, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to hear your DS is unwell sad.gif

If it was me I wouldn't go in guns blazing and yelling but before starting your next shift I'd approach the RN and say "I know it's not appropriate to take the majority of personal calls at work but we need to have some kind of system in place where I can be contacted in an emergency. I have 2 children in daycare and if they are unwell the daycare needs to be able to contact me. What can we do about this?". Surely there must be other staff affected by this rule and they just need to have a procedure in place where the caller is asked if it is urgent and if it is they come get you? You can explain to your boss that you have told DH to only call you through the switchboard if its an emergency.

I basically told her this after I had spoken to DP.  I said I don't receive personal calls whilst working, and that if someone does call me then it is important.
I think she was also annoyed with me as I went home sick on my last shift, although that is probably due to catching gastro from the home.  (About 40% of 120 residents have been somewhat affected, and as far as I am aware the nursing home is trying to keep it hush hush from relatives etc)

#9 Rusky99

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (KylieMin0gue @ 18/12/2012, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Company policy is that we are not even allowed to keep our phone on us.  Has to be left in our bag on silent

In this case, I would follow up as suggested by a previous poster - ask what the policy is for contacting you in an emergency.  If they don't have one, ask for a policy to be put into place.

#10 Ally'smum

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (Rusky99 @ 18/12/2012, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In this case, I would follow up as suggested by a previous poster - ask what the policy is for contacting you in an emergency.  If they don't have one, ask for a policy to be put into place.

Definitely do this.

I would also keep my phone on me regardless of policy, but I am a bit naughty that way...

#11 Taystee

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Agree with Ekbaby- I would have been very upset too, but she sounds like the kind of person who will get her hackles up if you go in hard, so the rational approach is a good one.

#12 fruitbat72

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

She should have passed on the message absolutely

BUT

I can sort of understand why she said she was too busy - that time of the morning is hell on earth in nursing homes, especially when she had a pill round to do.

If it had been me, I would have asked who it was and told him I would get you to call back when you had a spare second.

#13 Natttmumm

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

I would challenge the phone policy and always have mine with me in a pocket.
If they say anything provide the recent example.
Silly woman

#14 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (fruitbat72 @ 18/12/2012, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She should have passed on the message absolutely

BUT

I can sort of understand why she said she was too busy - that time of the morning is hell on earth in nursing homes, especially when she had a pill round to do.

If it had been me, I would have asked who it was and told him I would get you to call back when you had a spare second.

Good job someone close to me wasn't in a bad accident or something and I had to leave ASAP then.

#15 BetteBoop

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Unless you've been formally advised from management that you're not ever under any circumstances allowed to accept a personal call at work what she did was wrong.

Her job is to direct calls. She didn't do her job.

If you think she's likely to take the same approach again, I would escalate it. You've already spoken to her, that should be enough for her to realise she was out of line. But if you have concerns, speak to her supervisor.

#16 Funwith3

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

You can't just drop it. You need to be certain that if there's an emergency, you will always get the message. I would speak to her again now that you've calmed down, telling her how dangerous it could be to not pass messages on. And explain again that you're not in the habit of taking phone calls during work hours...so when someone does call, its for an important reason. If you don't get the response from her that you want, take it further. You're a parent, you need to always be available for your children first and foremost!!

#17 CountryFeral

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (KylieMin0gue @ 18/12/2012, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DP didn't get chance to say that it was important as the RN said that I was too busy to take a phone call and then said bye and hung up the phone

QUOTE (KylieMin0gue @ 18/12/2012, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good job someone close to me wasn't in a bad accident or something and I had to leave ASAP then.

They weren't though were they?  If that had been the case one would have assumed that even in the face of the rudest of phone answering etiquette someone would have called back, insisting to speak to you.

If your husband had opened with "This is Mr Minogue, I have a very urgent message that needs to be passed on to Kylie." I would imagine he would have got a different response than what I can only assume was "Hi can I speak to Kylie?" at one of the busiest times of day.

#18 Freddie'sMum

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

I would be annoyed too OP.

I only have my mobile phone with me because we have 2 small children (either at school / daycare) and I have had that call - saying that your child is sick "please come and get her".

I would take it further and ask that the company policy be changed to allow for genuine emergenices.  These are not "what are you doing in the w/end" phone calls - these are "your child is throwing up - you need to come and get him" phone calls.  A world of difference.

#19 SusieGreen

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 18/12/2012, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They weren't though were they?  If that had been the case one would have assumed that even in the face of the rudest of phone answering etiquette someone would have called back, insisting to speak to you.

If your husband had opened with "This is Mr Minogue, I have a very urgent message that needs to be passed on to Kylie." I would imagine he would have got a different response than what I can only assume was "Hi can I speak to Kylie?" at one of the busiest times of day.

yyes.gif

#20 weepingangel

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

They weren't though were they? If that had been the case one would have assumed that even in the face of the rudest of phone answering etiquette someone would have called back, insisting to speak to you.

I agree with Countrymel. I'd say it was a case of poor communication and both the RN and your DH need a reminder about how to communicate effectively.

Maybe ask to bring it up at the next staff meeting, re phone messages and protocols etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.