Roof collapse on Ginger Bread House
Other Christmass sweet suggestions - not baked

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 IVL

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hi All,

we built a gingerbread house on the weekend and omitted drying step for the house panels as our new $4000 oven from Harvey Norman is out of commission due to shattered glass door after first use  - a whole other vent in itself but I will not go there again.

Anyway my DD's went quite heavy on the decorating and the roof of one side has collapsed. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a repair job, things I have tried so far include lego supports, tins of food but they are not working. I should also add that we will not have an oven until 5-10 days after Christmas, once again thanks Harvey. Normally I would scrap it and start again, but the proud mummy in me does not want to throw it away as they did work really hard on it and are looking forward to eating it with their little cousins.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for non baked Christmas gooddies as I have offered to cater dessert for a family lunch, assuming I would have an oven but now I do not....

#2 noi'mnot

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Non-baked Christmas treats: truffles, rocky road, icecream cake (or plum pudding icecream).

For the gingerbread house, if propping it up from the inside isn't working then I'm not quite sure what you can do. What type of icing did you use? Royal icing dries very hard, so perhaps you could combine propping things up from the inside with some heavy royal icing fortifications.

Good luck! original.gif

#3 vitaechel

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

When this happened one year my mum got us to decorate the house as a construction site! We cleaned it up a bit and made "bricks" and construction pieces with the bits. We then got lego men to become the workmen. If you have some wheelbarrows in your lego or men at work signs even better. Everyone loved it and thought it was really creative! biggrin.gif

#4 ~Jodama~

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Use the gingerbread house mould and make it out of melted chocolate.

#5 vitaechel

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Other non bake idea: Lemon Coconut Slice

#6 2xpink

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

as an extra support for my roof I cross wooden paddle pop sticks, or skewers (depending on the size of the ginger bread house) underneath the roof and secure with royal icing.

Maybe you can do that now?

#7 IVL

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Vitaechel, that lemon slice looks delicious - might also borrow the construction site suggestions.

We used royal icing so I don't think adding more will help.

#8 noi'mnot

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

The skewers and paddle pop sticks idea is a good one. What if you used royal icing on the underside of the roof piece to attach them, and stick all of the pieces together with that?

Failing that, yes - construction site is a great idea! original.gif

#9 harryhoo

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

You could do a cheese cake/slice with berries or oreos or something as a Christmas treat, if you're looking for something substantial. Or white chocolate mousse, panna cottas, anything that sets in the fridge really.

Also like the idea of rocky road, handmade chocolate truffles, etc.

#10 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (vitaechel @ 18/12/2012, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When this happened one year my mum got us to decorate the house as a construction site! We cleaned it up a bit and made "bricks" and construction pieces with the bits. We then got lego men to become the workmen. If you have some wheelbarrows in your lego or men at work signs even better. Everyone loved it and thought it was really creative! biggrin.gif

This is an excellent idea

#11 vitaechel

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

LOL Very happy to share. I think my mum thought she was a bit of a genius that day!  xmas_cool.gif Might add that is was awesome fun to do as well (until I wanted to throw up from licking icing off my fingers  xmas_tongue.gif hahah)

I used to work in a cafe and the Lemon slice was a big seller. Simple and really yummy. I like it extra lemony so usually add a little extra lemon

#12 laridae

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

You could do a choc ripple cake (just bought choc ripple biscuits & whipped cream) - MIL did one with raspberries in it as well the other day and it was really nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.