Tafe - HR course
Reputation of course

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hannah Henrietta

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hello,

I'm considering doing the Advanced Diploma in Management (Human Resources) at TAFE (Metropolitan South Institute of Tafe - Queensland) next year.

I'm a commonwealth public servant currently (not in HR) and I hope to stay in the public service. I'm looking to upgrade my skills to enable greater career opportunities.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the reputation of this course and whether it would be worthwhile as opposed to doing a full degree course. I've done a couple of half degrees so I'm reluctant to commit to uni as I don't want to embark on another course and not finish it and I also don't want to accrue a HELP debt if I don't need to.

Thanks in advance,
Rosa

#2 elco

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hello Rosa,

My situation is slightly different to yours but thought I would respond as it might be helpful. I am currently studying a Diploma of Human Resources on campus at Tafe.

I currently work as a Human Resources Advisor and have worked in HR/Recruitment for 4-5 years. I was weighing up Tafe vs Uni and similarly to you, I was reluctant to start a full degree as I currently work full-time and it seemed like a big (and long) commitment.

I don't regret starting this course as once I have completed it, I will essentially have a year taken off a university degree - so no time has been wasted (it is a 1 yr part-time course). However, one constructive thing I will say about the course is that is better suited for someone who has limited/no HR exposure/experience. Given that I have been in HR/Recruitment, I cannot say that I have learnt a hell of a lot. Fortunately, the work/assignments have not been a complete waste of time because they are relevant to my current position. I do alot of HR project work and I have been able to base my assignments around my work. However I am not being stretched or challenged. I do find it a bit strange that my tafe listed x amount of years in HR required as a pre-requisite to completing this course as I am one of only a couple who has worked/works in HR.

Long story short, I think it is a good introduction into HR however there is a big difference between Tafe and University and from my perspective I will need to go to uni (which I plan to do next year) to further my career. As example some of the industrial relations legislation and practises I was taught was old/outdated. I learnt more from speaking to my HR colleagues about industrial relations than I did from my industrial relations lecturer.

Without a degree I feel limited in advancing my career unless I stay with the same company for x amount of years and work my way up. I have noticed, when applying for HR roles in the past, that a degree is necessary or strongly regarded. This is just my experience though and it would depend on the level of the role though.

Edited by elco, 18 December 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#3 Hannah Henrietta

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hi Elco,

Thanks for your post - it's great to hear the perspective of someone who actually works in HR and who has recent experience of study with TAFE.

All the best,
Rosa

#4 jks91

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

I kind of agree with what elco has said.  I will graduate with a Human Resource Management next year having no prior experience in the industry and I kind of wish that I had gone with the diploma route first.  A lot of what is taught at university is vastly different to real world employment scenarios and I have only really realised this having had some work experience in both recruitment and government HR during my degree.  

You won't be looked down on for just having the Advanced Dip, and you will get 1-2 years uni credit should you wish to go back for the bachelor later.

#5 Hannah Henrietta

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Thanks jks91.

I'm thinking (because i don't have any experience of HR) at least the TAFE course would be a "foot in the door" to see if I like it/am suited to it etc without having to commit to the full degree and as you say if all worked out, I could do the degree down the track and get some credit for the TAFE course.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.