is it just me?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 désir d'amour

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Is it just because I don't have kids, or is the "OMG I MUST GET EVERYTHING MY CHILD ASKED FOR" approach to Christmas a little OTT?

Just read in another thead of someone who was stressed to the point of nausea about getting a particular gift a child has asked for.  That seems nuts to me.

Christmas as a kid was very much a "Get what you're given and be grateful" affair.  Of course, mum and dad catered to our interests, but I don't think I ever wrote a list.  I only remember visiting Santa maybe twice?

Especially for young kids (under primary school age) I really don't see the point of freaking out that you can't get them exactly what today's whimsy has dictated they want for Christmas.

Whatever happened to  "Something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read" approach?

#2 EssentialBludger

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

I try to get my kids what they want, but I certainly don't stress if I can't find it/can't afford it. They're always grateful for what they do get and don't even remember on xmas day what they've asked for if it's not there.

#3 BadCat

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

I have it easy.  My kids almost never ask for anything.   biggrin.gif

They haven't always gotten what they have asked for though.  Usually if they ask it's something they've seen on tv and it's rubbish.  As they get older they tend not to fall for the advertising and actually think whether there is something they really want.  So now if they ask they usually get.

#4 pinkcupcakes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

not just you. happy.gif

its sad that some kids are being shaped that way. seems a bit spoiled and ungrateful to me too.

#5 morgansacre

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I'm another who usually gets something the girls have asked for, if I can't get it I will look for something else.

Though this year I have had an order for a Chevy Impala model car, it took a few months to come in, but I now have it. I did worry it wouldn't get here in time, but DD would have received it after anyway.

Lynn

#6 =R2=

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I don't get it either.

Seeing that my kids change their Christmas list on an almost daily basis I'd rather get them things that they need, games they can play outdoors or with other people and books that can entertain them longer than a battery operated toy. They have enough toys between them from other family and friends we don't need to get them any.

We know a family who have a no toy policy in their household and their kids are some of the most socially confident and well balanced I've ever met. The one child we know of who gets every toy ever possible bought for her acts like a spoilt brat.

#7 JustBeige

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

We dont get everything they ask for.  They know that they wont be getting everything they ask for either.   I do get them to write a list or tell me what their most hearts desire is, but they know its just a "wish list" and thats it.

I dont think I have ever had a year that they have been sad not to get xyz. oh, though for DS it was a bit heavy on the clothes last year and he was a bit "meh" about it.    Lol, we have told him thats all he is getting this year.

#8 BadCat

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

I always tell them they're getting nothing but socks and undies.  Oddly enough they don't believe me.  laughing2.gif

#9 désir d'amour

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

I got pajamas EVERY year.  They were my favourite thing, second only to the 4-5 books I got every year (and had read by NYE Tounge1.gif )

It's the "My kid asked Santa for .... and now I HAVE to find ...." that makes me go huh.gif

NO YOU DON'T.  They probably don't need it, anyway!

#10 Starrydawn

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Sometimes there's nothing like the joy on a kids face when they get something they really wanted.

If you don't want to, can't or have another present organised that is fine as well.

#11 BadCat

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Yeah I'm with you NapCat.

I remember one year there were these weird trampoline shoes that were being advertised relentlessly.  My kids wanted them.  I didn't buy them because I knew they would be rubbish.  They weren't overly disappointed and when I showed them some reviews after christmas about just how useless they were they were positively grateful.

#12 luke's mummu

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Oh yeah every year my son asks for a DS or a x-box etc. And every year we say no Santa doesn't bring those and we can't afford it.

He brings home from school lists of Christmas wishes - I'm not sure who encourages that, but I hate it! We always asked Santa for 1 present and that was all.

#13 snuffles

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Mine write endless Christmas lists, LOL.  I treat it as a 'wish list', they may or may not get some things from the list.  They know that.  But it does give me some ideas!  I would not ever feel that I HAD to get any particular item, that is a bit OTT.

#14 Canberra Chick

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

DD asked for a pink watering can and a hello Kitty pencil. DS asked for bright socks, lego and Mr Men books. I figure I can try to give them what they asked for.

#15 Feral Lemur

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (=R2= @ 18/12/2012, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We know a family who have a no toy policy in their household and their kids are some of the most socially confident and well balanced I've ever met. The one child we know of who gets every toy ever possible bought for her acts like a spoilt brat.

Is that as simple as it sounds?  What are their beliefs around toys?

I try to resist the stuff I absolutely wanted as a child but never got.  Because that's all about me and not them.

I try to get what I think they will get lots of enjoyment from rather than lose interest in five monutes.  Knowing what they want can be very hlepful but it's not a strict list.

#16 fionah

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Our kids wrote a list. It has given me ideas, and I have a few things off there, but they have been told many times that just because its on the list, doesn't mean they will get it. They just have to wait and see original.gif

Fi.

#17 *melrose*

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

If my kids want something and i have look in a few different shops and still cant find it then i wont get it. There is no way i am running around for weeks trying to get it.

#18 somila

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (fionah @ 18/12/2012, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our kids wrote a list. It has given me ideas, and I have a few things off there, but they have been told many times that just because its on the list, doesn't mean they will get it. They just have to wait and see original.gif

Fi.

I asked them to write a wish list this year.  Same deal - you won't get everything on it, but it helps me shop.  When they were little and still believed in Santa I'd just have to work it out myself.

#19 Super Cat

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

I remember one year when I was about six years old. All I wanted was this baby doll I saw in the toy shop. It had a dummy and when you pulled it out the doll cried. I was in love with that doll and wanted it so badly. I came from a home where there wasn't a lot of money but we were always happy and excited about whatever it was we got for Christmas.

Christmas morning I woke up and opened my presents. I got the doll. I was THE happiest kid on the planet that day. So, I can understand why some parents might want to recreate that experience for their kids, however I think I was so happy because it was pretty rare for us to get what we'd asked Santa for. I always loved my presents but they were rarely the ones I wanted. That year Dad must have earned a little more than usual because looking back that doll was pretty expensive.

All my boys want yhis year are 'Skylanders'. They're not getting them, but I know they'll be thrilled with their iPad mini's. If they still want Skylanders next year they can have them. Im pretty sure they'll feel the same way about the Skylanders as I did a out that doll because they're not going to be expecting them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.