Daycare Direct Debit Payment Dramas

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SeaPrincess

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

Does anyone know how/if I can opt out of direct debit payments for daycare?
Or who I can speak to about this because I am not having any success with our daycare.

I'll try to make this short:
DD started in July and our weekly rate is $148, which was debited once at the end of the first week.
For 2 months they debited once a fortnight but only $150, so we got well behind and got charged late fees of $10 (which may or may not have been reversed)
All other payments have been irregular and range from $100 to $638, which was last week, and apparently the result of them not debiting me at all for the past 5 weeks.
Currently I am in credit $134, which I suspect is 1 day and 6x $10 late fees.

I've already tried twice to opt out but the owner told me that's the only form of payment they will accept.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 19 December 2012 - 12:31 AM.

#2 José

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

I recently had a gym membership I needed to cancel. I sent a no. Of written requests via mail and email. When they didn't respond I cancelled the direct debit through my bank. So, if you wanted to stop the direct debit payment you could talk to your bank. That doesn't help with the payment of fees though. Do you know if any others use a different payment method?

Edited by feliz6, 19 December 2012 - 03:35 AM.

#3 songshirah

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

I'm not sure, but I do think it's highly cheeky of them to not take out what they should, and then charge you late fees!!

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

I do have the contact details of one other parent who I could ask.  Last time I discussed it with her (after I received a bill for over $1,000 which they told me not to worry about because I'm on direct debit), she told me she pays cash weekly.

I know they've had issues with the office manager and now have a new one, but I'm picking up a 3rd work day, so I just want it sorted out before DD starts the extra day.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (songshirah @ 18/12/2012, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure, but I do think it's highly cheeky of them to not take out what they should, and then charge you late fees!!

When I asked about this a while ago, she said they're charged automatically, but she would reverse them.  But since then they've not charged me for at least another 6 weeks.

#6 Duck-o-lah

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

I would be quite forceful about the situation, it's unacceptable. If it is the only form of payment they will take then they have a duty to make sure those payments are processed correctly.

I'm sure it's not the only method they will accept, our daycare sent a letter out saying they were making DD mandatory and I simply refused to sign up to it. I didn't have any issues whatsoever. Good luck.

#7 FeRaL n ScReWeD

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Could you maybe use centrepay if you get a benifit from clink? I know my daycare fees are what I set it as, they only differ or stop if I request it.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (duck-o-lah @ 19/12/2012, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be quite forceful about the situation, it's unacceptable. If it is the only form of payment they will take then they have a duty to make sure those payments are processed correctly.

I'm sure it's not the only method they will accept, our daycare sent a letter out saying they were making DD mandatory and I simply refused to sign up to it. I didn't have any issues whatsoever. Good luck.

I've sent an email today requesting a statement, reiterating the fact that it is unacceptable to me and that if it is not resolved I will insist on ceasing direct debit payments (I'll cancel my card if I have to).  I've also spoken to DEEWR who have given me an email address to send the statement to and they will follow it up.

It makes no sense to me - we don't get CCB and I get CCR paid quarterly, so we are paying full fees with no variation.  It should be an easy account to manage.

#9 Madnesscraves

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

That's a real pain in the butt OP. they have a responsibility to process payment correctly.

Now, be warned, if you refuse DD, they can refuse a spot for her. I'd suggest trying to sort thigs out with admin, of course the most civil you can be, the more likely they'll comply. I'd only bother getting cranky at them when they don't offer solutions at the end.

Other step, talk to Fair trading (NSW) dept. they can note on the daycare file they eff up payments and aren't helping out Fair trading can liaise between you and the daycare if they are refusing to speak to you.

Hope it works out OP.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

I spoke to the owner this morning.  Copy of account in hand - amount owing is 1 week's fees, which will come out on Friday and from now on, this should be the normal process.

I also explained about the late fees and she is going to go back and make sure that they have been deducted.

Of course the old manager got the blame for the whole thing - they didn't part on the best of terms.

#11 Feral Nina

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

I'd be livid if an agreed amount was ignored and $638 taken in one go!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.