Greek salad
which feta & olives to use

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lisazee

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

Hi ladies

I love a good greek salad - but have found whenever I make it its just not that great - I think the cheese and olive choices I make are not the best

So can you please help  a novice - and let me know which brand cheese and olives you use

thanks in advance

#2 antsy

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

I like australian feta because the taste isnt very strong. But I guess that depends on your personal preference. My mum uses bulgarian feta, which has a very strong taste and smell that I find a bit overpowering. As for olives, I leave them out because I dislike them.

#3 TopsyTurvy

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

I used (by mistake) Danish feta recently.  It was very creamy and dissolved more than regular feta.  It was really nice actually and blended a bit with the dressing and made it really delicious!

Dressing is important too.  I always make my own original.gif

#4 lizzzard

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (TopsyTurvy @ 19/12/2012, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used (by mistake) Danish feta recently.  It was very creamy and dissolved more than regular feta.  It was really nice actually and blended a bit with the dressing and made it really delicious!

Dressing is important too.  I always make my own original.gif

I was going to say Danish feta is one of my favorites - I like the softer texture.

As for olives, good quality (from the deli) marinated, de-pitted kalamata olives are my pick.

#5 Bel Rowley

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

I don't know what brand I would use because I buy them from a deli, not packaged. Kalamata olives and crumbly, Greek-style feta, I don't mind Australian.

Make your own dressing.

Fresh herbs.

Find a good recipe - Greek salad should not have lettuce.

#6 Feral WibbleWobble

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

I use Greek, usually dedoni (?) brand from the deli. Olives fresh kalamata also from the deli.

#7 Pearson

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

If you can, get olives not from the supermarket.  I get my olives from a fresh market.  A good deli would be great as well.  If you can, buy your own olive pitter, unpitted olives taste better, pre-pitted olives are not as nice.  Fresh markets or a good deli will let you try your olives first too.

I get Australian Feta, rinse the brine off as I use it (I like a mild fetta)  

Dressing - lemon juice, olive oil and dried greek oregano.

Our really nice greek restaurant up here serves some tomato, a couple of onion rings (red) and some cucumber with a couple of olives and a slice of feta, about 2 x 2 x .3cm in size.  Then they have the vinagrette over the top with a lemon wedge on the side (that is as a side salad).

Also make sure you season, and make immediately before serving.

#8 elmo_mum

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

i use bulgarian fetta and olives from a biottle - pitted kalamata olives

red onion

cucumber...

but great balsalmic vinegar!

#9 Lyra

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

I use dodoni feta and sliced black olives

#10 credence

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

You need to use greek feta and kalamata olives. Like others have said, dodoni is a good brand.

Kalamata olives from the deli - unpitted are the best, just pitt them yourself before you add them to the salad.

#11 FeralBob!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'm another who likes dordoni feta and kalamata olives. I look for Feta that is AOP ( protected origin) and don't get spanish olives, they're tasteless.

For dressing, I use a simple viniagrette of 3 parts good olive oil, 1 part red wine vinegar, small bit of french mustard, sald and pepper and a little water to thin it out if needed.

#12 *LucyE*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

I'll be cheeky and suggest 'Greek'.

Go to a good deli and ask for their recommendations.  Most will give you samples to try so you can work out which you prefer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.