Need Dessert Help!
Dietry restrictions.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jenferal

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I have to make dessert for an early Christmas lunch(this weekend) and it needs to be....wait for it...

Chocolate free(one person gets migraines)
Gluten free (for at least 2 people)
Pregnancy safe(so no raw eggs etc).

i WAS going to make this tasty looking Citrus semi -freddo from a recent Family Circle magazine, but it has raw egg whites in it. So now I'm stumped.
Is pavlova safe for pregnant women? The eggs are cooked in that, though only at a low temp.
Fruit salad is out as you're not supposed to eat fruit that was cut up hours earlier(which it will be) plus that's a bit boring...
I could do a home made icecream with a cooked custard I guess.

HELP!! It needs to be made on Friday.

#2 Chelara

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Yes pregnant women can eat pav, just top it right before serving. You could buy the ready made pav shell if worried.

You could make sponge cake, trifle, parfaits, a crumble (using a Gf topping).

#3 livvie7586

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

when you find something let me know  wacko.gif

ours has to be gluten free, chocolate free, dairy free, suitable for me (i'll be 27 weeks on christmas day), oh and don't forget it can't have peas or vinegar  oomg.gif  (sorry, dietary restrictions for this family this year have meant DH and i have already decided to book into the local club next christmas, the only restriction from us is the pregnancy one)

#4 cstar

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

What about a flourless orange cake, they are delicious, gluten free, no chocolate and cooked eggs!

#5 Mille-Mille

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I'm pregnant and I would eat pavlova, yum!

#6 FiveAus

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

I made a most delicious and very different dessert on the weekend and I'm sure it meets your brief.

Orange Coconut Sago. Go to Taste.com and do a search and you'll find it. The recipe there is topped with lychees but my husband doesn't like them so I replaced them with sliced banana, chopped orange and passion fruit pulp.

It is a lovely and very pretty dessert and even Mr Ice Cream Is The Only Dessert loved it and went back for more.

ETA, you could chop and add the fruit topping just before serving.

Edited by FiveAus, 19 December 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#7 Jenferal

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Husband's grandmother is making trifle already( I wanted to but was told  I had to make something else.)

I think it'll be pav.

Has anyone sued the frozen egg whites from the supermarket?
Or do i just cheat and buy one? lol.

#8 ~shannon~

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Really not sure about the gluten, but I have made a really scrumptious apple strudel before full of apple and sultanas, cinnamon, etc, and served with ice cream, cream or custard. Perhaps you can get a gluten-free filo pastry?

It looks really impressive on the table served as one big log and then you slice it up for everyone.

#9 Chicky whicky

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Sorbets and granitas. Fruit and sugar syrup only. They are very easy to do

Edited by Chicky whicky, 19 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#10 Escapin

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

I reckon pavlova is the only way to go. Or make 2 different things if you want to give people more choice?

#11 Escapin

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (Chicky whicky @ 19/12/2012, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorbets and granitas. Fruit and sugar syrup only. They are very easy to do

Are gravitas like very serious granitas? Sorry, couldn't resist original.gif

#12 9ferals

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Google "Good Chef, Bad Chef Mango Coconut pudding" - gluten free, sugar free, chocolate free, dairy free, pretty sure it would be pregnancy-safe - but very delicious in spite of that!

I think that if you served it in fancy glasses topped with some freshly cut fruit, it would look and taste great.  It's like a mango mousse really.

#13 BubblyGal

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'm 7.5 months pregnant and will be making pavalova for Christmas Day dessert. I'm also serving a fruit salad which I'll cut up in the morning and keep in the fridge.

It really depends on how fussy the pregnant person wants to be about what they will and won't eat.

#14 *LucyE*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

I happily ate pavlova if decorated fresh.  And I'm a pregnancy food nut.  I only avoided ones that were decorated hours before hand and left sitting on a bench 'in a cool spot'.

I'd make a citrus tart of some sort.  Lemons and limes are plentiful right now.  Just make a GF base.

Or, if you have access to an espresso machine, I'd serve affogatos.  Ice cream, coffee and liqueur in pretty martini glasses.  Assemble when you are ready to eat so minimal fuss.  For the pregnant person who may not want coffee or alcohol, give them an extra large serving of ice cream with a yummy syrup - I can buy various fruit couli at our deli.  

And biscotti.  I've seen GF biscotti too so you don't have to bake or have the GF person freak about cross contamination.

#15 Feralmummacat

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

You could do a cheese cake any flavour (other than chocolate), just replace the biscuits with gluten free biscuits. When I make my cheese cakes I use the orgran vanilla animal biscuits (gluten free) these a readily available in any health food section of supermarkets

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collection...esecake+recipes

I made no-bake Christmas puddings with mango coconut custard in a gluten free cooking class last week and they were really, really nice. The mango coconut custard is amazing

http://www.thehealthychef.com/2012/11/glut...istmas-pudding/

#16 Jenferal

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I knew this would be the best place to ask! Thanks.

I like the sorbet idea as well as the pavlova so I might make both. The family are really fussy eaters and won't eat anything different(sorbet may be a stretch for them, they wouldn't eat my home made choc mousse last year, sigh).

#17 Tenacious C

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

How about pumpkin pie - you would just need ensure the base is gluton free.

#18 ingrid74

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Was also going to suggest a baked cheesecake with a GF base

#19 sunflowers81

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

How about raw citrus brownies? Just mix together dates, walnuts, coconut and juice and rinds of an orange and a lemon...

My family go crazy for it and you wouldn't even think it was healthy wink.gif

#20 Froger

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (ingrid74 @ 19/12/2012, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was also going to suggest a baked cheesecake with a GF base

Yes this. For the base use almond meal, sugar and butter. Or crushed gluten free plain biscuits, mixed with butter.

What about some Indian style desserts, such a khir or burfi?

Lemon sago pudding.

Baked fruits (eg stuffed apples), with packet custard (made with the gluten free custard powder - White Wings??)

Creme Caramel (the eggs are cooked).

If you make pavlova it will surely have to have fruit on it?  What fruit would you put on, seeing as she won't eat fruit salad? She might not eat pavlova either, as I guess the topping is just the same as fruit salad?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.