What whole fish to cook on BBQ

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lucy-lu

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hi, I would like to cook a whole fish on the BBQ, what fish is good for this? Would like to serve 6ppl ( there will be other dishes so servings won't be huge).

Thanks,

#2 ubermum

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Snapper. Go to a good fish shop near you and ask what is good and recommended.

Edited by ubermum, 19 December 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#3 PrincessPeach

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Not a whole fish, but I love Salmon steaks cooked on the BBQ!

#4 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Ask at the fishmonger.  Any fish if fresh and firm comes up delicious when baked.

#5 credence

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Snapper is the best.

In our family we do plate sized snappers, one per person.

Make sure it's got plenty of olive oil all over the skin the cook straight on the grill, about 10 minutes per side.

In the mean time I make a post-marinade of olive oil, finely chopped garlic, lemon juice and chopped parsley.

When the snapper comes off the grill I pour over the olive oil concoction. It's seriously one of the best things you can ever eat.

#6 whatnamenow

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

A large whole red emperor, with lemon and herbs inside, wrapped in foil and stuck on the BBQ.  yum!

#7 PurpleNess

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Snapper
Red Emperor

They'd be my pick, speak to the fishmonger, they'll advise on the best they have & right size for 6 people.

Wrapped in foil with fresh herbs & lemon is my fav way :-)

#8 *LucyE*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Red emperor or snapper is my suggestion too.  It's white fleshed and usually in season at this time of year.

Any of the cods tend to go hard unless it is gently and perfectly cooked.  The darker fish like tuna may be too overpowering for some.

For a whole fish, I like to steam in foil too.  Reduces the risk of over cooking some parts because the overall heat is more gentle.  I don't like to have food directly touching foil, so I line it with silicon baking paper.  This also helps to protect the foil from punctures from the fish.  

Inside the fish, I shove some lemon or lime slices, ginger slices, shallot, fine herbs (like parsley, dill, tarragon, chervil) and butter.  I score the fillets with a few deep cuts to help it cook more evenly (ask your fish monger to do this if you prefer).  Add a few more lemon/lime slices around and give it a good splash of an unwooded chardonay.  Wrap up the parcel so that it is kinda tent like.  This gives it room to steam.

Cook on bbq.  I usually only have the side plates burning and close the hood so it's essentially a convection oven effect.  The fish is steamed within this oven so it is a gentle heat and the flesh doesn't go tough unless you really overcook the bejesus out of it.  Ask the fishmonger roughly how long to cook for.  Our's we normally cook for about 20 mins but allow it that long again unopened to 'rest' (read: faff around getting everything else ready).  I couldn't tell you how large our fishes are though.

#9 Chelara

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Yeah I like snapper. Barramundi might be ok. Rainbow trout is yum for something different.

#10 whydoibother

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

now my tummy is rumbling! biggrin.gif snapper is yummy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.