Booking with hotel sites like wotif/last minute
for 1 adult and 2 kids

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 paula1

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I'm thinking of staying in a Melbourne hotel with my 2 boys as a treat this January and was looking at wotif and last minute.
Seems so complicated as most of them cater for just 2 adults.

Has any anyone used one of these sites with any succces?
I'm wanting somewhere like the Grand Hyatt or similar, it has to have a pool and include breakfast.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#2 elmo_mum

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

i use those sites quiet a bit!

if you find a nice hotel, go to their website and check out their bedding arrangements...
then call the hotel 9 times out of 10 they will match the "lastminute" wotif" websites

#3 WibbleWobble

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

We pretty much always use last minute/wotif unless there are no good bargains, then we go direct to the regular hotels we use websites.

We usually stay at the Sebel in Albert Park, breakfast included and a pool.

The room has two queen beds, so would suit your needs if the boys would share a bed.

#4 Jersey Caramel

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

I usually research the hotels on sites like wotif, lastminute, hotels.com etc - and then phone the hotel directly to make the booking if we have requests such as an extra baby or whatever. They are usually more flexible than the booking sites, and can often offer an even better price too.

On Wotif you can select (up the top) for it to only show you the options for 1 adult + 2 kids (or whatever combination you need).

Edited by Jersey Caramel, 19 December 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

I've booked a lot of times on wot-if - usually self-contained apartments though.

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Like PP sais often booking directly with hotel will get the same rate.

Also often better for getting more people in rooms. Eg websites said I could not get my family of 5 in a room together, calling the hotel we did.

#7 halcyondays

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I call the hotel directly to check that the wotif/lastminute deal will allow the children I am bringing and the room is suitable, and book once I check. Often when I ring the hotel, they recommend I get a different type of room, and give me a fairly good price on it too.

#8 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

I have booked the same config with wotif about 6 times. No problems and cot is always there. We do call the day before to double check re cot though.

#9 CoffeeCup

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yep - there is a section where you put in number of adults and number of children.  Then only the places able to cater for these numbers are listed.

We use wotif all the time - love it!!

#10 9minutes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

I use Wotif very regularly - though recently I've done what PP's do and go direct to the hotel once I've founds something that looks good on Wotif.  
I find that prices are usually the same or less and you are more likely to find deals that include breakfast or have a better cancellation policy if you go direct.  Wotif is great for doing initial research though, I especially the like the feature where you can view hotels on a map to compare them - this saved me from booking a Sydney hotel that appears to be built under a freeway underpass!

#11 Mamma_mia

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Just be careful. One of my friends recently lost around $1,000 from one of those sites. Hackers from overseas had gotten into it and had managed to put their bank account details into the website for the payment, rather than the hotel's. My friend later asked the site if they could do anything to compensate her and they said nope, not their responsibility. sad.gif Not sure if I should say the name of the site here - can PM the name if you like. It was in the news at the time though. We have used other/similar sites and haven't had any problems.

#12 Julie-Anne

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I stayed at Crown Metropol last night with my 2 DDs in a twin deluxe room and it was lovely. They allow 3 in their twin rooms only. We had 2 queen beds which the DDs shared. The roof top pool/spa is brilliant for the kids.

I booked directly with the hotel, at the same rate as Wotif.  If you book make sure you get a upper level room, we were on level 24 with lovely views.

#13 ~strawberry~

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

When you do an initial search on wotif, it brings up one room type per hotel. If you click on the hotel name, then it brings up all the room types and if you scroll down they have the configurations for each room. Many hotels have more options than only for a couple.

#14 skepticaemia

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

I search in wotif etc as 2 adults, 1 child. I find that putting in 1 adult, 2 children brings up a lot of rooms with only 1 bed for some reason.

#15 paula1

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Thanks guys,

Has anyone ever tried booking the mystery room deal?
If so how was it?

#16 skepticaemia

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

You can normally tell which hotel the mystery hotel is, by looking at the features and the order they are listed in, and comparing to the hotels of the same star rating.  I have used it several times without event.

#17 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

I've used them and done it both ways, booked through them and used them to then book directly. Never had an issue either way.

Though, do google the places before booking just to get a better idea of what you are booking. Last week we decided to drive back through Melbourne and stay another night, so with 6 minutes of expensive cruise internet left I very quickly booked a motel. When we got there we found a run down dump where all the the other guests there looked rather dodgy lol. I think at 3am in the morning someone knocked on our door very loudly and yelled "my friends real drunk and needs help". We paid the same for 2 rather nice appartments on the Yarra the week prior.

#18 mez70

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I have booked a couple of times with Wotif and been very happy. One booking was for 2 adults and 2 kids .

I like Wotif's customer service and I know when I had to cancel a trip mid year (due to medical problems with 3 family members I rang with 48 hours notice and was refunded all my money bar $25.00 admin fee and it was back in my account within days and no hassle.. I was fully expecting to either loose money or have to have a site credit note etc so I was very pleased with that outcome.

#19 ~~~

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Just make sure that you check the cancellation policies - some of them are "No refund" etc, others have 24 or 48hr notice etc. And also another vote for contacting the hotel direct to pricematch - often its the same or better than these websites...

#20 lennie

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Grand Mercure Swanston Street is quite good - has a pool (indoor) and a kids breakfast free deal, and very convenient.  I've stayed there twice with my two kids, in a twin room with two king beds - kids in one bed, me in the other - very roomy.  I've booked once through Wotif and once with hotel direct - no dramas with Wotif at all.

#21 2bundles

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

We booked a mystery hotel in Melb and it was Clarion Suites Gateway. A great option with kids. Indoor pool and self contained.

#22 Maple Leaf

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

We use wotif all the time and also the mystery hotel option. Have always been happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.