Feeling a "pull" towards a place - to go there.
Is it spritual?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 3plusme

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this and I almost feel silly writing it but I need to know if I am dreaming it up or if there is something behind how I feel.

I have a certain love, a pull, a magnetic attraction to living in the UK and scotland. I love the people, the places, the history, the weather, the people.  Everything about it. I want to be there.  
Here's some background.  I have english born parents and come from a stuffy english family, my husband is scottish and his parents were born in scotland.  We all live in Australia and are all happy here and no one is ever going back. My husband and I were born in Australia.  

But for me, I travelled there as a teenager at 18 with a friend ( I was deperate to go then!) and felt while I was there that a higher being was with me, watching over me, guiding me.

I can't stand australian weather.  It is far too hot for me.  I absolutely loved england. I am facinated with all of its history and how people in england lived through time.  My husband has business roots here and there is no way we could ever leave Australia. He does not know how I feel.   So why does it plaque my thoughts ALL the time to live in england.  I don't feel Australian.  

It's silly because it is like I am not really living here a full life here.  I am waiting for something I can't have... it's so silly.

Why do I have this pull to a place I can never be is what I am asking.. was I there in a past life.. what is it???  I don't think I am romantising.  It is more than that.

Please don't shoot me down in a blazing row of EB flames.. I just want some real answers to a genuine query.

#2 Madnesscraves

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

I don't know OP, but I'm much the same as you. I don't feel like I belong in Australia. I feel very much like I should be living in the UK. I would have moved there, except I met my husband. While I love him to bits and don't regret the decision, I still can't help feel I should be overseas.

#3 Waratah

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Having lived in the UK three times over ten years I can say the grass is always greener on the other side.  My suggestion living somewhere is very different than holidaying if you loved the feeling you got being on holidays that is what you are craving.

#4 Feralina

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I don't have any answers for you, but I used to feel very much the same way about my parents' homeland. I didn't feel Australian, despite being born and growing up here, and when I travelled there as a child and as a teenager, it felt like "home".

My experience was that when I went there with my 'real life' (rather than on a holiday) and considered actually moving there, I realised that my perceptions were based on an idealised version of it - based on the experiences of my youth, of freedom and fun. My experiences there as an adult made me realise that home is actually here!

I'm not saying that this is the case for you, just that it was the case for me!

#5 3plusme

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the so far replies.
I wanted to add. that the holiday I went on there when I was 18 was not great. So I don't think I am having holiday flashbacks. It was a contiki tour whirlwind of mass drinking (was horrible) and two weeks after staying with relatives.  That's the bit I loved.
I know there is a real difference between a holiday and daily life.  Which I have thought about.

#6 ReadySetRace

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

My brother always thought that about Dad's home country so went to live there for a year. He had a great time but chose to return to Australia. Grass greener & harsh realities of living in a foreign country.

#7 BearBait

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

The UK is great, especially if you live in a village. Hard part is setting yourself up again with friends, work, schools etc. English pubs are the best.
Are you seriously considering moving there or could you take a sabbatical for say 1 year?

#8 Feral_Pooks

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Interesting, OP. My DP has UK heritage and went to London to see a concert, and instantly felt at "home". He hasn't felt that way on other travels. I do believe in a spiritual connection to land, it seems cross-culturally to exist and is certainly real emotionally. So perhaps you have inherited that from your ancestors. I would look at it as being a beautiful connection that you have. Definitely visit, it will reenergise you. I have friends who travel to homelands, and to their country in Australia, who feel a spiritual connection and find the encounters rejuvenating, even if they are not destined to live there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.