Best websites to teach kids protective behaviours?
Having a mind blank

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

My 6yo has Aspergers and Anxiety. He's a hugely anxious kid. He's always had fears about certain things and "baddies" have been a recurring theme. For the last few months, his fear of "baddies" has been almost crippling. For some reason, a family member decided to tell him about the recent school shooting (I have NFI why mad.gif) and when he freaked out, told him that "only people in America have lots and lots of guns". He's now terrified of Americans, terrified that a "baddie" American will come to Australia and shoot him or that we will go to America one day (no plans for that!). It has also made his anxiety about getting lost etc and a "baddie" finding him a hundred times worse. He's no longer confident in the protective behaviours I have already taught him (listen to your body etc), so I need something more.

I've promised him we can do some "action plans" tomorrow. We do lots of social stories etc so it's a format he knows and I know he responds well to. What are the best websites for teaching protective behaviours etc for young kids? He responds well to computers, so looking it up on the computer will work well for him.

Any ideas?

#2 baddmammajamma

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Karla --

Not a direct answer to your question, but have you considered cognitive behavioral therapy for him?  J has just completed several months of it (weekly sessions) based on Macquarie University's very highly regarded "Cool Kids" program:

http://centreforemotionalhealth.com.au/pag...ds-program.aspx

Her psychologist is trained to offer it one on one, and it has really, really, really helped with the ASD-related anxiety.

They have an outreach program, too:
https://accessmq.com.au/node/135

#3 baddmammajamma

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

PS: Who is the jerk in the family who freaked him out like that?!!!!!!!!!!

You might want to show him some really friendly Americans in the meantime (I'm sure you could find a lot of stuff on youtube). Or I could fly up. original.gif

Hope you are able to help him through this latest challenge. xoxo

#4 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

We have been doing CBT all year but his psych is on holidays right now. I know being a "problem solver" and writing out action plans helps him (we've been doing it all year), and have promised him we will do it tomorrow.

#5 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

That's a great idea K - you could fly up and he could see not all Americans are baddies! How soon can you get here? wink.gif

#6 baddmammajamma

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Karla:

If J had the same fear, I'd first assure her that America has very few baddies...but

The best way to fight those few baddies is to make sure you have a really great group of Goodies!

Perhaps you could pre-identify some "inspirational" pictures or stories to share with him & ask him who he wants to tap for his Goodies Team.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/moments-tha...humanity-this-y

You could also ask him to identify X number of people he knows in real life who are Goodies (friends, teachers, etc.) who could be part of his team.

#7 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

Aww, I liked that link! wub.gif

That's very much my plan for tomorrow, but I am also concerned that he seems to lost faith in the protective behaviours he knows, so I want to clarify them again too. He's been watching Ninjago and is scared that someone he knows as a goodie will be turned evil and he might not realise in time - and now he has this fear that the newly converted "baddie" will have a gun and shoot everyone. So I want to remind him to listen to his body and trust his instincts.

*sigh* Sometimes I wish people had to screen their words with me before they could talk to my kids.

#8 baddmammajamma

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 20/12/2012, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*sigh* Sometimes I wish people had to screen their words with me before they could talk to my kids.

I would let THAT person serve as the target while your son practices his best ninja moves.

Honestly, WTF were they thinking???!

#9 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

I honestly do not know. She wasn't trying to freak him out and when she realized she had, she tried to backpedal which made it worse. But why an adult would decide to tell a 6yo that someone walked into a school and shot 26 kids and teachers is beyond me.

#10 bubba boo

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

Along the lines the goodies team how about giving your local police station a call. A tour of the police station, seeing all the people who help stop the baddies might help. More of a long term thing but martial arts classes are great to boost confidence and would help with anxiety like this if he could cope with the class.

Edited by bubba boo, 20 December 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#11 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I was actually thinking about that last night bubba boo! I wonder if most police stations are willing to allow that sort of thing?

And martial arts are already on the plan for next year. He's been wanting to learn karate for a while and I think it will help him from the discipline aspect as well as giving him some more self confidence.

#12 Lyra

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Could you tell him that Batman and Superman and The Avengers are all Americans? And they are good people! Well, Superman is not technically American but he lived there LOL

I had to take my boy to the GP yesterday and had to take the girl too and some old lady tried to engage me in a conversation about the shooting. I had to shut her down pretty quick because the girl has no idea what happened and I have no desire for her to know. She's 6 and has enough on her plate!

#13 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Oh, I hadn't thought of the superheroes! Thanks Lyra!

I would have thought it was basic common sense to not talk about things like school shootings in front of small kids. Apparently the older generation disagree.

#14 CountryFeral

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Don't forget the fire station too Karla.

My DP is always taking little children on tours of the station and letting them sit in the trucks and sound the sirens.

(as an aside it was pretty awesome walking somewhere with him last Australia Day when he was in uniform and hearing a little boy cheer as he walked past! "Yay! Fireyman!"

If you word them up beforehand they will make sure they are stressing how much they are a part of the 'goodies' team and there ALL the time looking after the whole town and keeping them safe.

#15 Lyra

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Good point from Countrymel! Any excuse to go the fire station is a good excuse LOL

Also, check in with your local police station as they might be having community days coming up. Our police station does this pretty regularly and we always go.

#16 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Ooh, great idea thanks Countrymel! One of my 5yo's is obsessed with fire engines so we'd make that a family trip if we could!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.